Home General Discussion
Options

A cautionary tale...

Had a very unusual experience today I thought I'd share....

Feeling much better after my recent illness, so on a whim I swung into my local boutique to buy a stick and see if I could handle one. Settled on a RP Decade, a stick Ive had a number of times before.

Good news - no hacking, no wheezing, no having to pick my lung up off the sidewalk - I AM BACK BABY!!!

Then I started to realize something was wrong. VERY wrong. The Decade tasted bad. VERY bad. OMG! Did my illness blow out my palette somehow??? This f'n sticks tastes like a mixture of a$$ and really bad candy! Its awful! Decade's are not supposed to taste like this!!! Fer Chrissakes, this thing tastes like an....

ACID!

I very nearly started screaming in emotional agony for my destroyed palette. Then I realized - this stick did NOT come from my humidors! The boutique must have stored Acids or some other infused stick in with non-infused sticks in their cabinets. My palette is NOT destroyed - HOORAY! :-)

Said all that to say this - Ive heard lots of people say on the forums that storing infused sticks with non-infused sticks is not a good idea, as the non-infused will take on the (AWFUL) flavor of the infused. Today is the first time I experienced that phenomenon first hand. If anyone here is ever considering this, DONT DO IT! Everything you've heard is true...

Comments

• Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Glad you're feeling better. That wasn't the route I expected this story to take, but yeah, you're right. Those things completely infect whatever they're next too. Spanish cedar included.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Its a damned shame - there were some decent sticks in that cabinet too!

• Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Interesting/perplexing that the "boutique" would not know about this phenomena......maybe someone should bring it to their attention?

• Options
    dwayne3307dwayne3307 Posts: 272
    My B&M keeps their Acid cigars in a case all by themselves.
  • Options
    GentlemanGentleman Posts: 152
    I was in Warrensburg for my sister's graduation from UCM and in my rental car excitement forgot my smokes. I couldn't find a single cigar shop anywhere! The closest one listed online was in Independence.
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    A BnM I rarely frequent anymore keeps their Illusione in with their Acids...... damn near criminal, if you ask me.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    lilwing88:
    A BnM I rarely frequent anymore keeps their Illusione in with their Acids...... damn near criminal, if you ask me.
    Arrest that guy Marty, there's gotta be some kind of law...at least there ought to he.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    lilwing88:
    Arrest that guy Marty, there's gotta be some kind of law...at least there ought to he.
    Cigar police....Now there's a thought...
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    We have a Total Wine beverage store that has a small walk-in humidor with a somewhat limited but actually pretty decent selection. They kept their Acids on the same wall of shelves where they kept their Ashtons (they had most of the Ashton lines too - ESG, VSG etc). I think the Acids were above the Ashtons. Never did buy any of their Ashtons. I did buy some Onyx Reserves and a couple of other sticks located at the other end of the little walk-in with no adverse flavor issues.
  • Options
    t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    The b&m I went to yesterday was just starting out and he said DE finally agreed to get him a stand alone cabinet to keep the acids out of the walkin. Good man.