Home Cigar 101

Mold on my humidifier

RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've been getting mold on my humidifier. I keep cleaning it off but it keeps coming back . Mostly whiteish but I've got a black patch lately. Also are their any digital hygrometers that won't look stupid sticking out the front of my humidor?

Comments

• KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    I'm not an expert, and am coming back into this slowly, but black mold on a humi is not a good thing, or something to be taken lightly.

I did extensive internet research on this after almost buying a used humi off craigslist that had mold in it - owner said just wipe with bleach solution it, dry it out - no problem...............uh........not so fast Sammy.
    I saw telltale signs of previous attempts to resolve the mold issue, to no avail. I then went home and did the research.

You can continue can try and fix it - google the many techniques people use.

If it's a cheap humi - I'd ditch it if it didn't clean up permanently after the first attempt.
    But that's just me.
    If it's an expensive humi - I might try a few times, but probably end up having to ditch it anyway.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Get rid of the crappy puck humidifier - they always grow mold. Get some Heartfelt or Conservagel beads and use distilled water to keep them charged.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    Get rid of the crappy puck humidifier - they always grow mold. Get some Heartfelt or Conservagel beads and use distilled water to keep them charged.
    you can still get mold on those if you keep them overly charged. 50-17% charged is the way to go here.
  • JonathanEJonathanE Posts: 401
    Hi, Rhamlin! Let us know if what ends up working as you deal with your mold problem. I have't had that problem myself as of yet but I'd like to be prepared in advance in case I see it later on! Good luck!
    JDE
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. I figured it was just the puck , I'll just keep it clean till I can get the gel beads. It hasn't spread beyond the puck.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    kuzi16:
    xmacro:
    you can still get mold on those if you keep them overly charged. 50-17% charged is the way to go here.
    . . . I didn't know you could measure 17% :P
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    xmacro:
    kuzi16:
    xmacro:
    . . . I didn't know you could measure 17% :P
    Ya gotta be in the Sahara... LOL

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just went ahead and removed the puck and placed one of the humicare pillows that come with the cigars in there. I assumed that would be better than a moldy puck for the time being.
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    I just went ahead and removed the puck and placed one of the humicare pillows that come with the cigars in there. I assumed that would be better than a moldy puck for the time being.
    i quit using those pucks when i found one like that long ago ,, but in my humid climate here i dont need much i just throw 1-2 of those pillows in there and they stay around 68% ,, i read this in the ccom newsletter this month, >>>>.Q: My cigars are usually perfect but now I have a tight draw with every cigar I pull from my humidor. I can't figure it out. A: Your cigars are over humidified. As the seasons change, so does the humidity in your humidor which is why it's important to "season" your humidor a few times throughout the year. Summer is basically here so natural humidity levels are higher when compared to winter. You probably had to boost the humidity in your humidor during the winter months and now that it's summer, there's simply too much moisture in your humidor. I recommend opening the lid of your humidor for a good hour or so to allow some of the cedar to dry out. Your cigars will still be well humidified so when you close your humidor back up, it should reset itself. Make sure your humidor isn't in a hot part of your house or in direct sunlight, etc and you should be good to go until it gets colder.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Yes much better, I dont even waste my time with the green foam crap. I had mold problems when I first started out, using new units and distilled water. Went to the Gel but didnt like that cause I had to give up space in my humidor for the container with the crystals and the water, I used a baby food jar. Tried converting a rectangular humidifier to a gel case, removing the foam and adding soaked gel crystals, but that was too hard to maintain. so I use the Boveda packets now. (Pillows are good too just not as good) No mess no fuss no water, layem on the top of my sticks, I use a thin piece of cedar between them just cause Im ****. I think the beads are a better solution if one lives in a highly humid climate like miami or seattle but again I think one may have to give up space but Im not sure as I havent used them.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    The Kid:
    Yes much better, I dont even waste my time with the green foam crap. I had mold problems when I first started out, using new units and distilled water. Went to the Gel but didnt like that cause I had to give up space in my humidor for the container with the crystals and the water, I used a baby food jar. Tried converting a rectangular humidifier to a gel case, removing the foam and adding soaked gel crystals, but that was too hard to maintain. so I use the Boveda packets now. (Pillows are good too just not as good) No mess no fuss no water, layem on the top of my sticks, I use a thin piece of cedar between them just cause Im ****. I think the beads are a better solution if one lives in a highly humid climate like miami or seattle but again I think one may have to give up space but Im not sure as I havent used them.
    All true. The space problems though are usually rectified quickly by switching to a coolerdor :) The beads are great for humid climates for sure.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I look at it like this, if every time you have sex with one girl she gives you an STD, but it goes away with cream... that's like the MOLD on your puck, sure you do some work/put on some cream it goes away, but every time you see this girl again, you get the same STD...

Drop the girl, drop the puck and start paying for better quality women...er.... humidification!