Home Cigar 101
Options

What about corojo?

What can you tell me about corojo? The search only showed up with posts mentioning this or that brand but didn't find too much detail about corojo. Please add you knowledge here. I am always interested in learning more. The maduro post went really well. I ended up ordering cigars and I bet the same willl happen on this one. Please add what ones you liked best, your rating of those that you have tried and a don't bother with this one list and why. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    From Wikipedia:

Corojo is a type of tobacco, primarily used in the making of cigars, originally grown in the Vuelta Abajo region of Cuba.

Corojo was originally developed and grown by Diego Rodriguez at his farm or vega, Santa Ines del Corojo and takes its name from the farm. It was used as a wrapper extensively for many years on Cuban cigars, but its susceptibility to various diseases, Blue mold in particular, caused the Cuban genetic engineers to develop various hybrid forms that would not only be disease-resistant, but would also display excellent wrapper qualities.

A very good article
    http://www.smokemag.com/0304/feature.htm
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    flavor profile?

i find it a bit spicy, a bit woody, and a bit Barn-yard. there is also another flavor that i associate with corojo: Fall. for some reason there is a "fall" kinda feel to it in my head. I smoke corojos most in the fall.

...and more of what maddy said...
    corojo was a derivation of criollo. it was developed to resist mold.

...it didnt quite live up to expectation so the did develop hybrids. However, it was delicious to it became the primary wrapper leaf of cuban cigars.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Kuzi on the flavor profile. As always, though, opinions are like belly-buttons....everyone's got one. To me, Corojo in small doses is fine; Indian Tabac's "Fire" has a Corojo wrapper if I remember correctly, and it was fine. On the other hand, I couldn't hardly finish a Victor Sinclair Triple Corojo Robusto (filler, binder, & wrapper all Corojo) because it was just too much. Ah, well, C'est La Vie, eh? Marty
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I had a VS Triple Corojo myself tonight, though mine was a chisel tipped figurado. I didn't find the strength overwhelming, actually it was not as strong as I had though it might be. Maybe it was the size difference, I've noticed sometimes a longer smoke won't have quite the strength of shorter one, perhaps the extra tobacco acts as a filter in a way.
  • Options
    The flavor profile of a corojo is hard bc you have no idea where it is grown. They literally grow Corojo in every country that grows tobacco. Corojo is even used in many machine made cigars and some cigarettes.

Typically though when a cigar says corojo on it, its a spicy cigar and of the medium-full or full variety. Unless of course its a Punch Rare Corojo which actually doesn't have one piece of Corojo any where in it. I believe its actually an EcSu(Ecudorian Sumatra) as Doody so afectionately calls it.
  • Options
    if you want to try a good corojo get some Rocky Patel Edge Missle corojo. I've been burning through these like they are going out of style. Good, quick after dinner smoke.
  • Options
    jaytothen:
    if you want to try a good corojo get some Rocky Patel Edge Missle corojo. I've been burning through these like they are going out of style. Good, quick after dinner smoke.
    Good call!
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    "fall" flavor huh? Well I never tasted fall, maybe leafy? lol.. I guess it's like the blossom of an apple flavor.. One thing that always gets me laughing or stumped is wine and cigar reviews.. haha
  • Options
    Shitake mushrooms, grown on a north facing slope, during a particularly wet winter, fertilized with donkey manure.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    yup, that's what I'm talking about. Though you have to mention you got that before the 1st inch..
  • Options
    i dont think i get that rediculous in my reviews... and i feel that "fall" is a good impression to mention.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    yup, that's what I'm talking about. Though you have to mention you got that before the 1st inch..
    LMAO yes, all of that come from the first inch, thats what she said.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    i dont think i get that rediculous in my reviews... and i feel that "fall" is a good impression to mention.
    Don't get paranoid on us kuzi. I've never seen anything in your reviews that made me question your sanity.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    Don't get paranoid on us kuzi. I've never seen anything in your reviews that made me question your sanity.
    better take another look
  • Options
    What is it about corojo that gives you the impression of fall kuzi? I'm not actually questioning the impression, because I get it myself, but rather what it is to you that brings that impression.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    What is it about corojo that gives you the impression of fall kuzi? I'm not actually questioning the impression, because I get it myself, but rather what it is to you that brings that impression.
    the combo of wood and barnyard.

i guess that plays off of going hunting with my dad as a kid back on a friends farm.

hunt for squirrel in the fall....
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    I agree with that Kuzi--I remember fall hunting back on the farm in the day--Fall does have a smell -I may not be able to accuratly describe it but it does have a recognizable smell and I think Kuzi best describes it
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    the combo of wood and barnyard.

i guess that plays off of going hunting with my dad as a kid back on a friends farm.

hunt for squirrel in the fall....
    I see. To me the taste of corojo reminds me a bit of the smell of fallen leaves, perhaps the barnyard you refer to is what I pick up on.