Home Ratings & Reviews

Warlock vs Cu-Avana Intenso

ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭
I live in northern MN and quality smoking days are far and few between but occasionally I have time on a nice night to fire up a couple back to back and I like comparing and contrasting and when I have the chance to do a side-by-side comparison of two sticks on a good night I'll post my thoughts.  I'm much more into craft beers but have smoked enough cigars over the last fifteen years to have an average feel for ratings cigars.

Here is my opinion of Warlock vs Cu-Avana Intenso without getting too in-depth. I started with Warlock.

I had not heard much on Warlock but saw some ads in Cigar Afficianado and bought a single when making another purchase here on Cigar.com.   Reviews I've seen have been middle of the road.

This was pleasant surprise.  Top quality stick in my opinion.  Meaty...nice plumes of smoke from start to finish....great draw..burned perfectly....loved the flavor...I got a lot of nuts and cinnamon.

I bought ten Intenso's a couple years ago and had a couple aging.  When I last had it I thought it was pretty full bodied and full flavored.  But, following the Warlock this was almost like smoking a Macanudo at first.  Not nearly the deep rich smokiness...the draw was ok but it burned a little uneven and I had to touch it up once.   It was OK until the final third and then it turned for the better...Nice spiciness at that point...kind of a peppermin/spearmint feel....some black pepper too...loved the last third...

I smoked both down to the nub but overall I clearly enjoyed the Warlock better and will be looking to add more of these to my humidor if the price is right in the future.  If I had to put a generic rating to both (1-10) I would say:

Warlock: 9
Intenso: 7

Both worth buying at the right price point but no doubt the Warlock was much better in my opinion. 

Comments

• dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    I have not smoked the Warlock but have toasted many Intensos. This review sounds about right regarding the Intenso. It is a bragain priced stick but usually holds its own in the flavor and body department. Perhaps it pales a bit against a true premium stick but not a bad stogie for its price range.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    I never have good luck trying to smoke two different cigars close together. Dont know if Im a palette wuss or what, but if I dont take a few hours between them the second stick never tastes right or good.

• boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    The Sniper:
    I never have good luck trying to smoke two different cigars close together. Dont know if Im a palette wuss or what, but if I dont take a few hours between them the second stick never tastes right or good.

completely agree here. The second stick always tastes way more mellow to me. Almost like my taste buds are fried . . . the only exception is if I smoke 2 of the same thing back to back, then . . . . it tastes just fine . .
  • ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭
    boydmcgowan:
    The Sniper:

completely agree here. The second stick always tastes way more mellow to me. Almost like my taste buds are fried . . . the only exception is if I smoke 2 of the same thing back to back, then . . . . it tastes just fine . .

Perhaps that is what happened here although I have had some second in my order that outdo the first ones so not entirely sure if that is the case..