Home Cigar 101

Desktop Humidor Problems

I have a desktop humidor (25ct) that I got for Christmas. When I got it, I whiped it down a bit with distilled water, and put a shot glass of distilled water inside the humidor. I left it for 4-5 days, and put in my hygrometer. The reading was under 60. I decided to go ahead and put a sponge in, soaked with water on a plastic bag and it go to 80 after about 4 days. I removed the sponge and the hygrometer is dropping very quickly. My hygrometer seems to work well. I tried a dollar bill test and the bill pulls out fairly easily. So I think I have a seal issue. I have a foam humidfier in right now (a bead humidifer is on the way). Does anyone know of a good way to fix a seal issue on a small humidor?

Comments

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    When you wiped the humi inside did you also wipe the lid and seal on both sides of the protruding wood? There is a possibility that the wood of the seal hasn't swelled or could still use more moisture.
    You could try wiping the seal wood again and make sure you do the inside of the lid as well so all the wood surfaces have swelled as much as needed to make contact with each other.
    There is a possibility that the seal just isn't very good and there is a thread in this section about building up the seal to make better contact also. Hope this helps.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    One method I've suggested, and it seems to work, is to take a strip of scotch tape and put it on the seal. This will help to close up any gaps in the seal without being too large to let the lid close tight.
  • I had problems with mine at first too, when I used the grean foam puck. When I got my beads I re-seasoned my humi with a dish of water (not a shot glass) and with the beads. Now I'm sailing smooth. I think that the lighter lids on the smaller humis let the bill out easier. If I were you I'd put my cigars in a bag with a pillow and re-season my humi. make sure the RH in the bag and the humi is steady and introduce your sticks into your humi a few at a time. That's what I did, and I'm good now.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    One method I've suggested, and it seems to work, is to take a strip of scotch tape and put it on the seal. This will help to close up any gaps in the seal without being too large to let the lid close tight.
    This is about the best method I know that won't make your humi look like crap. However, I'd call the manufacturer first if thats an option. In this industry most people stand behind their product pretty well.
  • NSIOpsNSIOps Posts: 18

Yeah, I got the foam one still in. I decided to wet the lid lip a bit better to try and get it moist and to swell it up a bit to make a good seal. I had about 2 days of good 70rh, I put in 2 cigars however I just opened it up and it totally dropped almost instantly when I tried to put in 2 more cigars. I think its the puck,I will let everyone know how the replacement bead puck works out.

BTW, I found the link of humidor I got. I wanted to know if anyone has this one, and had any issues. http://www.pipesandcigars.com/25rowowindeb.html

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    NSIOps:

Yeah, I got the foam one still in. I decided to wet the lid lip a bit better to try and get it moist and to swell it up a bit to make a good seal. I had about 2 days of good 70rh, I put in 2 cigars however I just opened it up and it totally dropped almost instantly when I tried to put in 2 more cigars. I think its the puck,I will let everyone know how the replacement bead puck works out.

BTW, I found the link of humidor I got. I wanted to know if anyone has this one, and had any issues. http://www.pipesandcigars.com/25rowowindeb.html

The RH would drop some when you open the lid. The RH would also come down some by adding those two new cigars to the box. This is to be expected as the air is exchanged whenever the lid is opened. The thing to watch is that the RH becomes stable again after a few hours once the lid is open and or sticks are added.
    You mentioned you tried to re-soak the lid seal wood. Did that seem to swell the wood and tighten the seal at all?
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I've got to season the travel humi that you sent me laker, I'm wondering if a tube of beads will be enough for it, should be. I figure since I don't travel a lot it will be great for more cigar storage.. lol
    Oh and the RH will go up and down depending on several factors, my main humi will flux up to 5 RH depending. But it usually mellows out to about 67 or so. Just agreeing with the Laker.. =)
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I'm having a little trouble with two humis. Both are around 60% and I want them a little higher. I don't have space to empty them so I just wiped down the top and the sides with a sponge so the cedar can absorb some more moisture.

I also just found some mold on one of my humidifiers. It's a green rectanguler one. I don;t understand why. I only use distilled water and 50/50, which is supposed to be anti-mold. I just wiped the mold off. I'll keep an eye on it. Problem is, I don't have anywher else to put another device. That humi is full.

I actually used my first tupperware like bowl last night. I got in another 35 cigars and had no place to put them. I put them in an old Stanley bowl and the humidity level was like high 80s. Because I just put them in there and they are in cello I'm ok with that. I'll just keep opening it to let it dry out a little. I might have to go to the store and invest in a big piece of tupperware with a better seal than this has.
  • btmislesbtmisles Posts: 125
    I know you've heard it before but get the beads for your mold issue. They sell the rectangular holder full of beads that should be a direct replacement for what you have. Should not take up anymore space that your current one does.

Also the fact that you humis are so full could be attributing to your humidity problems.
    rwheelwright:
    I'm having a little trouble with two humis. Both are around 60% and I want them a little higher. I don't have space to empty them so I just wiped down the top and the sides with a sponge so the cedar can absorb some more moisture.

I also just found some mold on one of my humidifiers. It's a green rectanguler one. I don;t understand why. I only use distilled water and 50/50, which is supposed to be anti-mold. I just wiped the mold off. I'll keep an eye on it. Problem is, I don't have anywher else to put another device. That humi is full.

I actually used my first tupperware like bowl last night. I got in another 35 cigars and had no place to put them. I put them in an old Stanley bowl and the humidity level was like high 80s. Because I just put them in there and they are in cello I'm ok with that. I'll just keep opening it to let it dry out a little. I might have to go to the store and invest in a big piece of tupperware with a better seal than this has.
    I had the same thing with the 'ol humidifier. Wiped down the mold then it came back again. Not sure what's going on with it but it kept molding. Get some beads.. I haven't had any probs since.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I may try to boil it soon. Just hope the plastic doesn't melt. It would be easier if it where a puck and I could just take out the element. I would get beads but I have no room for them at all.
  • NSIOps:
    I have a desktop humidor (25ct) that I got for Christmas. When I got it, I whiped it down a bit with distilled water, and put a shot glass of distilled water inside the humidor. I left it for 4-5 days, and put in my hygrometer. The reading was under 60. I decided to go ahead and put a sponge in, soaked with water on a plastic bag and it go to 80 after about 4 days. I removed the sponge and the hygrometer is dropping very quickly. My hygrometer seems to work well. I tried a dollar bill test and the bill pulls out fairly easily. So I think I have a seal issue. I have a foam humidfier in right now (a bead humidifer is on the way). Does anyone know of a good way to fix a seal issue on a small humidor?

I wouldn't worry about it, fill that sucker up with cigars, it will help maintain humidity better then an empty humidor. And the seal may be bad, but don't worry to much, as humidors do need some air flow. Throw the green foam away, get some beads or gel, and smoke away and don't worry to much.