Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Troubleshooting the 601, Green Label, Oscuro by DPG

I don’t know if this is an accurate generalization for superior cigars but when I pick one up and its dry aroma keeps me smelling it instead of lighting it, I know that something fantastic will happen with the introduction of fire. The 601 Green Label is one of those nose gays with clear notes of spicy tobacco, dried berries and chocolate. Unfortunately, this cigar challenged my generalization as it turned out to be a disappointment.

The first thing I noticed was that the cigar was super dense (hard) and had a tight draw. It proved to burn unevenly, to go out quickly and smoke generation was unimpressive. Hints of the flavors you would expect based on the dry draw were present but the cigar overheated easily creating acidic smoke, ruining both the taste and the smell. I tried smoking more slowly and although the flavor and bouquet improved, it started tunneling badly and required continuous touchups.

I have not made a judgment about this cigar. I rated it as it deserved, a critical 67/100, but I am very sure that there is a lot more to the 601 Green Label than what I experienced during this tasting.

My thought is that with aging and dry boxing I might see a lot of improvement. The decreased RH might open up the draw a bit and allow for cooler combustion. The foot kept up quite a cinder throughout the entire 48 minute burn; I rarely smoke a 5 x 52 in anything less than 55 minutes.

So, that being said do any of you more experienced smokers out there have any ideas as to why I got such marginal performance from what is usually a very highly rated cigar? Here are a few questions I thought of:

1. Does lowered RH improve burn and draw in tight, high density cigars?
2. What causes a cigar’s wrapper to consistently lag on one side in particular?
3. Is there a solution for a cigar that likes to burn too hot, ruining the flavor?
4. How much improvement do you think I could expect from aging a stick like this?

Overall, I think I detected a lot more quality and complexity in this cigar than what it got credit for in this tasting. Any ideas?

JDE

Comments

• Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    I bought a box of the Fuerza in Feb '11, they have just started to open up now....I tried a couple shortly after buying and was not happy at all, bad draw, not very good tasting....They are now starting to become nice to smoke...There is no need to dry box...I keep all of my stuff around 65% rh and well under 70 degrees...how old are they? Put them to sleep for 6 months (mine are 4 but I believe will be really good at 6)....these cigars will age very nicely, they just take time to open up...
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    JonathanE:
    1. Does lowered RH improve burn and draw in tight, high density cigars?
    yes... most of the time. but not all the time. sometimes the cigar is just bunched incorrectly. thats what it sounds like in this case
    JonathanE:
    2. What causes a cigar’s wrapper to consistently lag on one side in particular?
    construction issues. if the binder does not come in to proper contact with the filler in all places, the side where it is not correct will not burn correctly. no matter how many times you correct that burn it wont take because it is "away" from the rest of the cigar.
    JonathanE:
    3. Is there a solution for a cigar that likes to burn too hot, ruining the flavor?
    slow down. purge. softer puffs.
    JonathanE:
    4. How much improvement do you think I could expect from aging a stick like this?
    a cigar that is constructed poorly will not improve with age.
    this particular cigar, when constructed correctly, will age very well. it will mellow out and lose a bit of the spice. some of the power will fade and i suspect the coffee flavor will become more obvious.

... cant be sure though, ive never had this particular cigar.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Everything kuzi has said here is 100% correct. I just wanted to follow it up a bit, since I HAVE had the cigar in question - and love it!

When I was first getting into the cigar hobby, I liked to get a sampler from a particular line or blender inorder to get a feel for what their stuff was all about. Still do in fact. Anyway, I did this with the EO line - picked up 5-stick sampler, and went 2 for 5 on them.

Did NOT care for the 601 Blue, Red or Black mostly due to all the issues you mentioned. Lots of construction issues, constant relights and corrections. On one of them, and if memory serves correctly it was the blue, I literally ran a single-flame torch OUT of fuel during the smoking of the robusto! I decided to go search the reviews thread (instead of being a smart boy and doing so BEFORE I ordered the sampler) and found that these issues have been noticed by more than a few BOTL in the past.

Now then, the GOOD news is that the two I did enjoy (the 601 Green Oscuro and the Cubao) more than made up for the three I didnt. Both were so impressive than I immediately went out and purchased a box of each, and I am happy to report that as of the six month point that aging mellows both of these sticks out and takes the two cigars from great to PHENOMENAL.

Said all that to say this - I would strongly suggest you revisit the 601 Green Oscuro again at some point in the future, perhaps when you get back stateside. Not sure where you are deployed to, but having been in theater myself a time or two I imagine you're fighting humidity one of two ways - ambient RH is either WAY too low or WAY WAY WAY too high depending on where you're at. Also, how long did you let it rest when you received the stick? Either way, give this one another shot when you can.

Tell you what - shoot me a PM when you get back to the states and I will send you a couple as a welcome home gift.

• Options
    JonathanEJonathanE Posts: 401
    All,

Thanks for the commentary. Very imformative just as I expected. The one I smoked yesterday was six weeks old. It sounds to me like it would be a good idea to start smoking my stock oldest to youngest as age makes everything better and seems to be a prerequisite for some cigars.

Sniper, I am at AUAB and, thanks to my mini fridge, I am able to keep things around 50 °F and RH in the low to upper 60s. I keep a couple of 25 count humidors in there and they are VERY stable at 68% most of the time. Before I smoke I leave the cigar sitting out for several hours inside a herfador to let it warm up gradually. Might this process influence things any?

I will definitely get in touch with you when I head back stateside! I'd love to try a couple of aged Green Labels. Like I said in my review, I really think there's a lot to be had from this cigar it just didn't show its worth on my first go around.

JDE

• Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    FWIW. I am a huge DPG fan, The Green Label 601 IMO is a very good cigar. I smoke em right out of my humidor 70rh with no problems. I havent had one in a while and I will revist, either tonight or tomorrow. I would strongly suggest retrying. Another suggestion may be to pre-draw the stick before dryboxing One can usually tell if there will be draw issues at this junctior and if the draw is tight you may want to then drybox. long term overhumidification can have an effect cigar and water it down so to speak. Dryboxing will not correct this. Anyway those are my thoughts. May I also suggest the San Cristobal I think you will find that one very nice as well.
  • Options
    JonathanE:
    All,

Thanks for the commentary. Very imformative just as I expected. The one I smoked yesterday was six weeks old. It sounds to me like it would be a good idea to start smoking my stock oldest to youngest as age makes everything better and seems to be a prerequisite for some cigars.

Sniper, I am at AUAB and, thanks to my mini fridge, I am able to keep things around 50 °F and RH in the low to upper 60s. I keep a couple of 25 count humidors in there and they are VERY stable at 68% most of the time. Before I smoke I leave the cigar sitting out for several hours inside a herfador to let it warm up gradually. Might this process influence things any?

I will definitely get in touch with you when I head back stateside! I'd love to try a couple of aged Green Labels. Like I said in my review, I really think there's a lot to be had from this cigar it just didn't show its worth on my first go around.

JDE

Will be my absolute pleasure to hook you up man, my way of saying thank you for your service. And I need to thank you for something else as well - this post inspired me to revisit this cigar, which I hadnt had in a while. I went outside on the deck last night and fired one up about 12:30am. Heat had FINALLY dropped down to acceptable levels (feels weird to be complaining about heat to someone in the AOR LOL), all was quiet and still... just me, my thoughts and a good smoke. In short, the hobby the way it was MEANT to be enjoyed, at least for me! :-D Was everything I remembered it to be, and made a great way to finish the day.

I will definitely hold a couple back for your triumphant return Jonathan. When do you expect to rotate back stateside?

• Options
    The Kid:
    FWIW. I am a huge DPG fan, The Green Label 601 IMO is a very good cigar. I smoke em right out of my humidor 70rh with no problems. I havent had one in a while and I will revist, either tonight or tomorrow. I would strongly suggest retrying. Another suggestion may be to pre-draw the stick before dryboxing One can usually tell if there will be draw issues at this junctior and if the draw is tight you may want to then drybox. long term overhumidification can have an effect cigar and water it down so to speak. Dryboxing will not correct this. Anyway those are my thoughts. May I also suggest the San Cristobal I think you will find that one very nice as well.
    That's a good thought about dryboxing as required after checking the draw. I might have to start trying that. I have been lucky so far with the conditions I have managed to create for my cigars here in the AOR, but, as Sniper pointed out, there can be HUGE deviations in the RH. Pretty soon I'll probably have to put a dehumidifier INSIDE my fridge to keep the RH down once the "wet" season starts.

JDE

• Options
    The Sniper:
    JonathanE:
    All,

JDE

Will be my absolute pleasure to hook you up man, my way of saying thank you for your service. And I need to thank you for something else as well - this post inspired me to revisit this cigar, which I hadnt had in a while. I went outside on the deck last night and fired one up about 12:30am. Heat had FINALLY dropped down to acceptable levels (feels weird to be complaining about heat to someone in the AOR LOL), all was quiet and still... just me, my thoughts and a good smoke. In short, the hobby the way it was MEANT to be enjoyed, at least for me! :-D Was everything I remembered it to be, and made a great way to finish the day.

I will definitely hold a couple back for your triumphant return Jonathan. When do you expect to rotate back stateside?

You're a servicemember too, aren't you? I think I remember you alluding to current or prior service at some point in another thread?

I rotate back stateside in October. ...but do I have to wait until then?? Maybe you could send them a couple of weeks before my promotion for celebratory purposes! I intend to declare 4 September as a CCOM Forums holiday!

JDE

• Options
    PM to you my friend. :-)

• Options
    Sniper delivered as promised and the smokes arrived in great shape! I am about half way through now and, let me say, there's a night and day difference between this one and the first one I had. Wow! I'll be describing the differences tomorrow probably but this sure has been a valuable learning experience for me. Thanks, Sniper!

JDE

• Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    JonathanE:
    Sniper delivered as promised and the smokes arrived in great shape! I am about half way through now and, let me say, there's a night and day difference between this one and the first one I had. Wow! I'll be describing the differences tomorrow probably but this sure has been a valuable learning experience for me. Thanks, Sniper!

JDE

Ya as soon as these get about 6 months on them, they start to shine...
  • Options
    gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    Had one last night burned picture perfect.
    One of my favorites when Im in the mood for heavy thick chewy smoke and deep dark flavors.
  • Options
    Ok, here's my comparison between Sniper's cigar that I smoked yesterday and the one I smoked on July 2nd.

The first one I smoked was in my humi for about a month and scored a 67. Sniper's cigar was dated "7/26/10" or right about a year old and scored an 85. My current, average overall score is a 78 so this one is way up there. I very rarely score anything in the 90s.

The difference was absolutely night and day! Here is the comparison:

ROTT
    Super dense packing, tight draw
    Tended to burn uneven and go out easily
    Acidic smoke, tunneling issues

Aged
    Easy, open draw, quick light
    Developing complexity, smoothness
    Burn is perfect, does not overheat

BTW, I didn't read my old review before I smoked Sniper's cigar so I had no idea that I complimented all of the areas that I had criticized it for the first time. Very cool! Now we just have to find out if the blend has changed or not!!

JDE

• Options
    Im a huge 601 EO brands supporter. I frequent the EO forum often and Eddie Ortega has said many times none of the blends have changed. IMO we have no reason not to believe him. He seems to have a true passion for his product and a genuine appreciation for those who enjoy his cigars. Just my take on it anyway. I guess you never really know.
  • Options
    JonathanE:
    Ok, here's my comparison between Sniper's cigar that I smoked yesterday and the one I smoked on July 2nd.

The first one I smoked was in my humi for about a month and scored a 67. Sniper's cigar was dated "7/26/10" or right about a year old and scored an 85. My current, average overall score is a 78 so this one is way up there. I very rarely score anything in the 90s.

The difference was absolutely night and day! Here is the comparison:

ROTT
    Super dense packing, tight draw
    Tended to burn uneven and go out easily
    Acidic smoke, tunneling issues

Aged
    Easy, open draw, quick light
    Developing complexity, smoothness
    Burn is perfect, does not overheat

BTW, I didn't read my old review before I smoked Sniper's cigar so I had no idea that I complimented all of the areas that I had criticized it for the first time. Very cool! Now we just have to find out if the blend has changed or not!!

JDE

Glad to hear it was a good experience for you Jonathan. Im going to swing by my B&M sometime this week, seems like I saw some 601 Greens with the new labels on them. The he11 of it is, its gonna take six months or so to know for sure! LOL Will probably pick up four or five of em, one to spark up immediately and the rest to age.

• Options
    Oh, almost forgot to ask - did you try out a San Cristobal the other day like you said you were going to? If so, what did you think of it?

• Options
    Nope, I haven't tried the San Cristobal. Curiosity got the better of my Crostobal intentions and I smoked the Ashton. G-R-E-A-T cigar! It was unique too. It had the smell of pumpernickel bagel too it. That brought back some great memories from when I was a kid. Loved pumpernickel; loved the cigar!

JDE

• Options
    Well, I gotta say thats the first time Ive heard of someone picking up notes of pumpernickel in a cigar! LOL Glad you enjoyed it man, at the end of the day thats all that matters.

• Options
    I'm not sure how many people would even know what pumpernickel is! It's not your everyday order at Panera for sure.

JDE

• Options
    Those of you who have read this thread in its entirety, will know that The Sniper promised me a couple of these cigars in honor of my promotion and to give me a second chance with them. (...I talked him into sending them early and reviewed it in early July.) Well, tonight I celebrated my promotion and burned the second of the two Sniper sent me and it was absoltely great! I highly recommend this cigar to any of you fine BORKs. {:-)

• Options
    Nice, I figured you would get to enjoying this cigar if given a 2nd chance. To me the whole EO Brands line is very solid. Ive never had any QC problems with thier stuff the way others have mentioned.