Home Ratings & Reviews

Graycliff Turbo vs Man O’ War Ruination

ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭
The second in my head-to-head battles.

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/303025.aspx

These two were not back to back but over the course of two nights in near perfect smoking conditions.  This is not the first time I have had either.  But my thoughts are about the same as the first few times.

I had MOW Ruination last night.  I've heard this compared to Cuban smokes and while I have no legit reference point (I think the "Cubans" I smoked may have been counterfeit), I guess I can picture the resemblance.   This is a full bodied smoke....a lot of rich smoke...I'd call it leathery and earthy...I like other taste profiles better so this doesn't knock my socks off but it is well made smoke.

The Graycliff Turbo is not in the same ballpark but that doesn't mean it is not good.  I like bigger sticks and while in size this is big it lacks the punch I was hoping for..more medium bodied...the last 1/4 inch was my favorite part but overall I would call this a solid yard cigar..Just lacks any special qualities but is not bad in any way.   Best way to put it I would not want this for my after porterhouse steak experience (like tonight) but would be happy to spark this one on the golf course, etc.

Ratings (1-10):

MOW Ruination=8 (barely..more like a 7.5 but I am not doing fractions and it leans closer to 8 than 7 in my book)
Graycliff Turbon=6

Comments

• docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Neither one of these cigars are anything like any Cuban cigar, IMO. Frankly, Cuban seed tobacco grown in countries other than Cuba tends to taste nothing like Cuban tobacco. That said, Dominican tobacco and Nicaraguan tobacco also tend not to taste anything alike.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    ZAP:
    The second in my head-to-head battles.

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/303025.aspx

These two were not back to back but over the course of two nights in near perfect smoking conditions.  This is not the first time I have had either.  But my thoughts are about the same as the first few times.

I had MOW Ruination last night.  I've heard this compared to Cuban smokes and while I have no legit reference point (I think the "Cubans" I smoked may have been counterfeit), I guess I can picture the resemblance.   This is a full bodied smoke....a lot of rich smoke...I'd call it leathery and earthy...I like other taste profiles better so this doesn't knock my socks off but it is well made smoke.

The Graycliff Turbo is not in the same ballpark but that doesn't mean it is not good.  I like bigger sticks and while in size this is big it lacks the punch I was hoping for..more medium bodied...the last 1/4 inch was my favorite part but overall I would call this a solid yard cigar..Just lacks any special qualities but is not bad in any way.   Best way to put it I would not want this for my after porterhouse steak experience (like tonight) but would be happy to spark this one on the golf course, etc.

Ratings (1-10):

MOW Ruination=8 (barely..more like a 7.5 but I am not doing fractions and it leans closer to 8 than 7 in my book)
    Graycliff Turbon=6
    Two good sticks, IMO, I agree with your review. I definately prefer the Ruinations, But the Turbo is a good nooner.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I think both of those sticks do a lot better with some time on them. 6 months is good, a year is better. Some folks like 'em fresh though, so YMMV. I've got a box of Ruinations that's just shy of 1.5 years that I need to dig out sometime.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    They are both blended by AJ but that's where the similarity ends for me. The Graycliff is a cedar bomb where the ruination is more earthy and rich. I like them both but they are in no way comparable to a Cuban. They are both fuller bodied IMO.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Russ55:
    I've got a box of Ruinations that's just shy of 1.5 years that I need to dig out sometime.
    haha, me too. Funny how that happens. I told myself I was going to crack the seal at a year and when a year rolled around, well it was buried too deep to bother with. Maybe at 2 years. :)
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    j0z3r:
    Russ55:
    I've got a box of Ruinations that's just shy of 1.5 years that I need to dig out sometime.
    haha, me too. Funny how that happens. I told myself I was going to crack the seal at a year and when a year rolled around, well it was buried too deep to bother with. Maybe at 2 years. :)
    We should all have such problems! LOL