Home Cigar 101

cabinet humidity troubles

Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
so lately my cabinet decided to go a-wall with the humidity.....it sat at 70% for the longest time ever and now its in between 60-65% no higher, no lower. I moved the cabinet away from direct sunlight, and into the closet so no air flow goes near it....put extra distilled water in it. Any suggestions here? Normally I can figure these things out on my own but im at a last lately....and last, the temp cuz my house stays higher, the temp is around 75-80.

Comments

• boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    well its probably a blessing in disguise that the humidity is lower when your having temp issues . . . . don't need to worry about mold and its not like 60-65 is that low.

I like mincloser to 70 as well, so I ge tthe frustration though.

Also one actual thought to throw out there. About 6 months ago the newsletter had an article about reseasoning humis as the seasons change. Not that I ever do that, but when was the last time you seasoned your cabinet? Not that I've ever reasoned my humi, but maybe it makes sense to pull everything into tupperware with beads so their all cool, and spend a week reseasoning your cabinet. I don't know. Just throwing out some ideas.

I'm in RWC, and I'm having trouble keeping my usual 70%, but thats just becuase we started using the AC here and there which is making the house dry as heck so I'm having to recharge my beads about once ever 2-3 weeks. Its a small one though, (125-150) so its not that tough to keep at 70%.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    so lately my cabinet decided to go a-wall with the humidity.....it sat at 70% for the longest time ever and now its in between 60-65% no higher, no lower. I moved the cabinet away from direct sunlight, and into the closet so no air flow goes near it....put extra distilled water in it. Any suggestions here? Normally I can figure these things out on my own but im at a last lately....and last, the temp cuz my house stays higher, the temp is around 75-80.
    I used to live in Citrus Heights. I also used to live in Elverta. So I know how hot it gets there!!!!Anyhoo, Yea definately out of the sun and I would suggest using Gel crystals/Beads/ or Boveda packs. You said its a cabinet so if you have a electric humidifier use can use some PG solution, aka cigarjuice, . These all do a better job in regulating the RH. IMO Stay thirsty my friend.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    quote user="boydmcgowan"]well its probably a blessing in disguise that the humidity is lower when your having temp issues . quote +1
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    well I have a bag of beads in there...and for the longest time i was able to just set a bowl of distilled water in the bottom and never had a issue till now...I am trying to avoid buying a electric humidifier due to the cost and since its pretty much just a foam pad+distilled water soaked up+ a fan.....that pretty much equals====a bowl of distilled water and a fan next to it...cost, 2 bucks for the fan lol
  • t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    Im sure you've checked it, but did you make sure the doors are still sealing well? Just a thought. Good luck Joe.
    yeah i did notice a very slight protusion on the bottom part of the doors, but since then I have been locking the cabinet which in turn tends to seal it tighter...........only thing I can think of is getting some felt material and lining the bottom edge of the doors on the inside where the gap is in order to close it up...but other then that im stumped.
  • wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    Joey I have a hygra LG and it's great man.... well worth the money, my humidity stays spot on at all times. I figure if you have much of a collection than a 120 bucks on a good humidifier isn't really all that much.
    I went to the store to the today....bought a tiny desk metal fan, put it in the cabinet, and instantly went to 64% and holding for the moment...also tightened all the screws on the hinges up too......will keep updated as it goes on.
    so i got the fan in there now at the bottom...the fan is not directed at any cigars at all but pointing at back of wall so it hits the wall and sends air upwards....my humidification is now holding exactly at 65%......hopefully i can get it to go up to 70% soon. I just ordered new beads too.