Home Trades, Passes and Bombs
Options

Background story and pass.

The Story
I go into this older, dingy B&M in the Tacoma, WA area today to check out their cigar selection. If a person went off looks, they would not be impressed. Their cigar selection is through the roof though. In the lower level, the haze of smoke is thick, all four walls are lined with cigars and in the middle are some older tables with even older gentlemen (vets) playing cribbage and enjoying their cigars. I get to talking to the owner ( who is a vietnam vet with 5 tours) and it eventually comes out that I'm overseas right now and am home on my 2 week block leave. We talk some more and I continue gawking at all the cigars he has, trying to decide what I want to buy. A few minutes later the owner comes back and tells me that since today is Tues, he gives all his customers his employee discount. I thank him profusely and start adding more sticks to the ones my GF is holding onto for me. Approx 5 min later he comes back with a hat filled with ones 1's, 5s a couple of 10s and a 20 along with 3 cigars. He has a tear in his eye as he holds the hat out to me and tells me that all the guys contributed and he wants me to make sure that some of our oys overseas gets to enjoy a cigar or two while they are gone. I'm speechless and can only mumble a very heartfelt thank you and that I'll make sure to get some cigars out. I go into his back room where he keeps all his unopened boxes and grab a box of Nick's sticks ( he had already told me earlier that they were a great stick for the money). I head to the cash register and use the money that he gave me to buy the box. There's a few bucks left over that I tell the cashier to put in her tip jar. I pay for my own and head out the door promising to be back tonight for a cigar tasting that they have every Tues night.

THE PASS
This pass will be for all military either deployed or stationed overseas. I am sending out the box of Nicks, some others that me and RC bought and some of my own. I would like anyone that knows of a person to send me his/her APO address. I will take up to 20 names. In the pass I will have a list of the people and their APO. When you get the box take out (I'll put amount in later when I find out how many names I get), cross out your name and send it on to the next person on the list. Because this is being started from a donation I want to do something for the Vet that started it. In the box I will have a pic of myself the owner and a couple others that contributed to the box. I would like every person that takes out a cigar to sign the pic before the box is sent on. When it gets to the last person, the pic will be sent to my GF ( I'll still be gone) and she is going to bring it to the owner. If you would like to send me pics of you smoking one of the cigars I will add that also. I really appreciate it
Morgan

Comments

• Options
    Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    Awesome story bro.......we all stand behind our military men such as yourself, and we say Thankyou.
  • Options
    wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    bip.... your the **** man my friend. Enjoy your leave and be safe.
  • Options
    t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    Love hearing stories like this. It reminds me that 99% of the people in this country do feel this way about our military. You guys and gals deserve it. Nice idea with the pass.
  • Options
    JonathanEJonathanE Posts: 401
    PM to you Bip

JDE

• Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    PM Sent, Nice story.
  • Options
    DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    Well, I'll have to see if I can come up with some addresses for you man. That is awesome of them to do that. Looks like the DCCC might have to make a road trip!
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Umm...damn. This is a hellova story, and a hellova good idea. Thank you for sharing, and thank you more for your service..
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    bipbip Posts: 483
    Appreciate it everyone
    I have 7 names or so so far. I'm going to give it until the beg of next week to get as many names as possible then will send out the sticks.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    I've got a buddy that will still be downrange till mid-October/November time frame. Great idea man. Just so I understand it, there will be a regular take/put pass going on and a troop donation bag in there as well?
  • Options
    Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Great story man. It is always nice to find that hidden gem. Can't always go by looks alone. Seems like you have found a new hang out when you get back.
  • Options
    alienmisprint:
    I've got a buddy that will still be downrange till mid-October/November time frame. Great idea man. Just so I understand it, there will be a regular take/put pass going on and a troop donation bag in there as well?
    Hey Alien. This is a flat out take for the dudes and gals down range. Once I get all the names I will put in enough sticks so that everyone can take out 4-5 a piece. I'll send it out to a person. In the box will be a list of names. Once the next person gets the box they will take out their sticks, cross off their name, sign the pic that will be in the box and send it to the next name on the list. That will continue until it reaches the last person. Once that person gets it, and takes out their sticks, the only thing left in the box should be a pic with a bunch of signatures on it. The last person will send the pic to my GF and she will give it to the dude that donated a good part of the cigars.
  • Options
    alienmisprint:
    Shoot me your biddy's APO so I can get him on the list.
  • Options
    Lakota72:
    Great story man. It is always nice to find that hidden gem. Can't always go by looks alone. Seems like you have found a new hang out when you get back.
    Definately. especially since I've been there 3 times in the last 4 days
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Right on man, PM incoming.
  • Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    Great to hear a story like this bip, thanks for sharing. . . . . enjoy your leave and be safe when you return.
  • Options
    bip:
    The Story
    I go into this older, dingy B&M in the Tacoma, WA area today to check out their cigar selection. If a person went off looks, they would not be impressed. Their cigar selection is through the roof though. In the lower level, the haze of smoke is thick, all four walls are lined with cigars and in the middle are some older tables with even older gentlemen (vets) playing cribbage and enjoying their cigars. I get to talking to the owner ( who is a vietnam vet with 5 tours) and it eventually comes out that I'm overseas right now and am home on my 2 week block leave. We talk some more and I continue gawking at all the cigars he has, trying to decide what I want to buy. A few minutes later the owner comes back and tells me that since today is Tues, he gives all his customers his employee discount. I thank him profusely and start adding more sticks to the ones my GF is holding onto for me. Approx 5 min later he comes back with a hat filled with ones 1's, 5s a couple of 10s and a 20 along with 3 cigars. He has a tear in his eye as he holds the hat out to me and tells me that all the guys contributed and he wants me to make sure that some of our oys overseas gets to enjoy a cigar or two while they are gone. I'm speechless and can only mumble a very heartfelt thank you and that I'll make sure to get some cigars out. I go into his back room where he keeps all his unopened boxes and grab a box of Nick's sticks ( he had already told me earlier that they were a great stick for the money). I head to the cash register and use the money that he gave me to buy the box. There's a few bucks left over that I tell the cashier to put in her tip jar. I pay for my own and head out the door promising to be back tonight for a cigar tasting that they have every Tues night.

THE PASS
    This pass will be for all military either deployed or stationed overseas. I am sending out the box of Nicks, some others that me and RC bought and some of my own. I would like anyone that knows of a person to send me his/her APO address. I will take up to 20 names. In the pass I will have a list of the people and their APO. When you get the box take out (I'll put amount in later when I find out how many names I get), cross out your name and send it on to the next person on the list. Because this is being started from a donation I want to do something for the Vet that started it. In the box I will have a pic of myself the owner and a couple others that contributed to the box. I would like every person that takes out a cigar to sign the pic before the box is sent on. When it gets to the last person, the pic will be sent to my GF ( I'll still be gone) and she is going to bring it to the owner. If you would like to send me pics of you smoking one of the cigars I will add that also. I really appreciate it
    Morgan
    Pass is going out tomorrow. I have about 10 names so far. If anyone else is interested in getting in on this, shoot me your addy. Thanks