Home Cigar 101
Options

Salt Test

e6specialke6specialk Posts: 216
My hygrometer had been staying at 61%, I talked to a ccom rep who assured me that was ok and that he actually preferred his humi to be around there because it gave his cigars a nicer burn and a better draw. I decided to salt test my hygrometer and after 24 hours it read 50%, I just put it back in my humi last night so I'm not sure what the current reading is. Any ideas on why it didn't read 75% after the salt test? I really don't feel that my hygrometer is that far off because my cigars have been fresh, burning evenly and have had a nice easy draw.

Comments

• Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    The way your cigars burn is really the best test of all.

Your salt test itself may be flawed. Too little water or too much water for the amount of salt, not a good seal on the container during the test, hygro got banged around during the test, big temperature fluctuations - these will all contribute to misreadings during the test. Just some ideas, it sounds like your cigars are doing fine. What do you have for a hygro?
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    e6specialk:
    My hygrometer had been staying at 61%, I talked to a ccom rep who assured me that was ok and that he actually preferred his humi to be around there because it gave his cigars a nicer burn and a better draw. I decided to salt test my hygrometer and after 24 hours it read 50%, I just put it back in my humi last night so I'm not sure what the current reading is. Any ideas on why it didn't read 75% after the salt test? I really don't feel that my hygrometer is that far off because my cigars have been fresh, burning evenly and have had a nice easy draw.
    The salt test does not make your hygro read 75%, what it does is create an environment if done correctly that is 75% and then you know how far your hygro is off...Usually you would callibrate the hygro inside the sealed bag once the test is done by pushing the callibrate button, it will then make the hygro read 75% and when you put it in your humi you'll have fairly accurate reading...if there is no callibrate option then you would add 25% to whatever number is in your humi...as long as you don't have issues with your cigars you're good otherwise if you don't like it being off so far and it doesn't have a callibration option get another, I would suggest a Xikar...
  • Options
    Just the standard analog hygro that came with the humidor.
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    e6specialk:
    Just the standard analog hygro that came with the humidor.
    If thats the case even though you're not having issues with your cigars I would still suggest getting a Digital, much more reliable and accurate....
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Analog hygros are notoriously inaccurate. Digital, calibratable is the only way to fly.

Marty

• Options
    Just put an order in for a digital hygro and a Nica Libre Assortment Sampler just for good measure.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Welcome aboard. These guy's have you going in the right direction.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Only buy the Nica Libre's that you can calibrate....
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Lasabar:
    Up until this post that is, LMAO

Lassy I always have trouble calibrating my corona's... I can't get the damp salt to stay on the end of the cigar long enough to get a good reading. Any suggestions? (I know I am going to regret this, LOL)
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    Lasabar:
    Up until this post that is, LMAO

Lassy I always have trouble calibrating my corona's... I can't get the damp salt to stay on the end of the cigar long enough to get a good reading. Any suggestions? (I know I am going to regret this, LOL)
    Don't Worry Laker... I get this a LOT

The problem is not in your technique but the foundation of the cigar industry in general.
    Recent evidence in the big cigar industry cover up provides some light onto why you can't keep the salt on your cigar

After the Cigar Boom of the 90's the fat pockets of cigar manufacturer's were getting thin and they started a tyrannical quest to reach the capital turns that cigars once had. This became a huge problem for consumers for the "Niche" brand and "Rare" tobacco became the rage.
    Take for instance Gurkha... We've all seen super high prices and they "Always find a rare tobacco barn abandoned for years, but well maintained" and then BOOM, the cigars go on sale at up to 90% off and everyone buys them!

This only worked for awhile, the boom was officially over for the fat cats so they devised a new plan to not focus on capital turns, but on capital GAINS... Make more margin on current sticks than try to sell more sticks.
    This is what has led to your problems. The Dominican and Nicaraguan cigar companies had the most drastic changes but basically the main reason the salt won't stay on is due to the roller him/herself. In an effort to reduce costs the factories made a mandate that only cigar rollers can be left-handed. So either they had to hire new staff at a Greatly Reduced cost or the righties had to relearn a new skill with a different hand, and thus all their "Experience" on the job was useless so they all took pay cuts...

So if you pull a cigar PRE-2002 and the same brand and vitola after 2002 you will see they are rolled backwards. Therefore the reversing of the wrapping and reversing of the groove of the cigar tends to have the salt roll off.

This is the world we live in, we are just pawns in their sick and twisted game...

Happy smoking my friend...
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    . . . I usually take Lassies posts with a grain of salt, but this one was so detailed . . . I think I believe him. Damn those rollers!! If only there were more lefty rollers, we wouldn't be stuck in this mess!!
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    I knew it!!! Those Fat Cats have us all by the short ones...LMAO, I like his type of response....