Home General Discussion
Options

New to Cigars

I'm very new to the world of cigars, just smoking my second one today. Very enjoyable and relaxing though. Wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks one good cigars and getting started. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    Welcome to our world. Id stick to the milder sticks at first or at least have a full stomach for the stronger ones. Maybe pick up Ccoms house blend sampler, most of their blends are excellent and it provides a great platform to see what you like. Oh yea.....buy the biggest humidor and/or cooler you can afford....
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Honestly, send Tim Blythe, one of the senior account managers or whatever his fake title is here (his real title is His Highness The Royal Lord of Beard), and tell him you are new to cigar smoking, and don't know what you like, and want to learn. Get him to build you a sampler or whatever with a great variety. Tell him what you want to spend, and the man will do wonders for you. He does this crazy funny math where somehow you get a bunch of cigars for a price that just doesn't make sense. I think it must be calculus or algebra or whatever they call that number doin' stuff. Anyway, just try everything you can. There is no way that anyone here can tell you what you are gonna like, or hate, but the sales folks here at CCom are really helpful putting together orders, and getting you great deals, and they really do know their stuff. Anyway, email Tim, and mention his Beard, and he will get you all set up. Tblythe@cigar.com is his email addy.
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    +1 for contacting the man and welcom to the fourms.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    e6specialke6specialk Posts: 216
    I concur with calling Tim, he will do wonders for you. And welcome to the forum or should I say welcome to the family.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the wonderful world of cigars! Just curious which two cigars have u tried so far ?

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    Welcome to the wonderful world of cigars! Just curious which two cigars have u tried so far ?
    +1. Welcome to the forum. If we knew what you smoked so far and what you liked about them, we could steer you in a more specific direction. Otherwise, just try what looks good to you. That's how I started. Honestly, if a cigar looked good (construction and packaging wise), I tried it. Needless to say, I've tried a lot of fantastic smokes. Some duds. And very few dog turds. It's easy to spot dog turds. You'll know them when you see them.

Another good thing to have is the Ccom catalog. Get one today. Look at the pretty pictures. Read the suggestions from the experts. Circle everything that looks good to you and just start trying them.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    welcome papa!!!! thisis an awesome forum, amazing people,!!!!!!
  • Options
    Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the cigar family!
  • Options
    bipbip Posts: 483
    Welcome to the forum and world of cigars brother. You'e come to a place with a great bunch of people full of knowledge and experience. I for one just started buying everything that looked, sounded or was told was a pretty good stick. I've only come across one I can't stand. Another good way to try a variety of sticks is to set up a couple of trades. Again Welcome
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Research and then buy. You can save A fair amount of money and time this way. And welcome to the forums.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    Honestly, send Tim Blythe, one of the senior account managers or whatever his fake title is here (his real title is His Highness The Royal Lord of Beard), and tell him you are new to cigar smoking, and don't know what you like, and want to learn. Get him to build you a sampler or whatever with a great variety. Tell him what you want to spend, and the man will do wonders for you. He does this crazy funny math where somehow you get a bunch of cigars for a price that just doesn't make sense. I think it must be calculus or algebra or whatever they call that number doin' stuff. Anyway, just try everything you can. There is no way that anyone here can tell you what you are gonna like, or hate, but the sales folks here at CCom are really helpful putting together orders, and getting you great deals, and they really do know their stuff. Anyway, email Tim, and mention his Beard, and he will get you all set up. Tblythe@cigar.com is his email addy.
    Seriously good advice.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Welcome to the group, buy a big humidor, you will need it shortly
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    Welcome to the forum. You will quickly want to try everything new and start collecting get a big humidor and let the fun begin.

I have a suggestion for the Tech guys at ccom, make an email accout thebeard@cigar.com and have it forward to tblythe@cigar.com, just saying.
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards!

ShotgunJohn:
    I have a suggestion for the Tech guys at ccom, make an email accout thebeard@cigar.com and have it forward to tblythe@cigar.com, just saying.

I've been trying to reach him telepathically, but so far, nothing. How awesome would I be to just "think" an order to The Beard?
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    ....+1
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Skibrett:
    I'm very new to the world of cigars, just smoking my second one today. Very enjoyable and relaxing though. Wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks one good cigars and getting started. Thanks
    ....... I would suggest getting a few essential items. A decent guiollitine cigar cutter, a good cigar lighter, and at least a 100 count humidor, The humidor is a storage unit for your cigars and when used correctly will maintain the cigars at the proper humidity level. The standard for storing cigars is 70 deg F and 70% RH (relative humidity) you will need a digital hygrometer to keep inside your humidor this will read both the temp & rh. Buy one you can calibrate. A 100 count may seem too much at this point but believe me it fills up fast and youll be happy you didnt get anything smaller. another item you will need with your humidor is something that will help balance the humidity, There are several methods but at this point Ill reccomend Humicare gel crystals. Pretty simple stuff. just add water. But remember whenever using water for your humidor to only use Distilled water. other types of water have minerals and are no good. You can talk to Tim about all of these items and he will help you get on your way. As another brother mentioned do some research and try to learn by doing some homework, search engines are a wonderful thing.. Take Care and Welcome.
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forums. First you want to get a good humi and season it, check past posts and videos if you don't know how. Absolutely agree with docbp87, give Tim a call, "The Beard" can piss wonders and sh*t miracles. They will set you right up my friend.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    It's great to see new people discover the Brotherhood of the cigar. When I first started out all I bought was samplers to see what my tastes were. Took about 6 months before I really started to figure out what I liked. Also, one more piece of advice...stay away from thompson cigars.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    docbp87:
    Seriously good advice.

+1 Welcome to the forum....
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    What they said. Welcome abaord.
  • Options
    Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    t_evan50:
    Welcome to our world. Id stick to the milder sticks at first or at least have a full stomach for the stronger ones. Maybe pick up Ccoms house blend sampler, most of their blends are excellent and it provides a great platform to see what you like. Oh yea.....buy the biggest humidor and/or cooler you can afford....
    +1 Welcome to the forum.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    +2 Welcome to the forum.