Home Cigar 101

humidity is to high

2»

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I'm taking a liking to the water pillows actually. THe pillows in the plastic bags are working great as temp humidors.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i always worry about the mildew/mold factor with them. once the water pillow is old enough wouldnt they start to stink like that? be careful and switch them out if there is even the slightest fear of mold/mildew (even inside the water pillow itself)
    Kuzi I'm with you I'm just tossing them when they dry up.
  • pilot711pilot711 Posts: 176
    Huh, never thought about that. I only use them when I have humi overflow for temp storage. I have had them dry up and recharged them with distilled water and never noticed any mold but I will have to keep an eye on that. I don't put them in my humis though just in ziplocks for temp overflow storage.
    Yea pilot thats what I've been doing as well. I don't think I would put one in my humi.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i dont use them at all. Ever.
    i dont have overflow. if my humidor is full thats when i know to stop buying cigars. self imposed limitations. If i didnt do that id turn my house into a walk-in.
  • pilot711pilot711 Posts: 176
    kuzi16:
    i dont have overflow. if my humidor is full thats when i know to stop buying cigars. self imposed limitations. If i didnt do that id turn my house into a walk-in.
    A humidor house! Now that's an idea!
    Will Power is something I lack when it comes to cigars. I'm like a fat kid in a candy store.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Every time I buy a new batch of cigars I think I don't really need these. If I smoked one every day and never bought another until they were all gone it would takea very long time to burn these guys up. It's really a great problem to have and isn't the best to come home and have that package waiting for you, or to go to your local shop and sniff around in the walk- in humidor. Which reminds me I better go check the mailbox, cigar of the month is due any day now.
  • jlzimmermanjlzimmerman Posts: 282
    kuzi16:
    HAHAHAHA. Truth!!
  • BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    Question: Anyone find their humidity running to high, or higher with a full humidor. Seeing a 2-3% percent spike with the full humi and wondering if there is anyone way to bring it down without emptying the humi, I currently use boveda packs 67 I know I know switch to a 65 then, I did that and we are still running high. For those that say well obviously smoke more that is on hold as well, colder weather and joined a running group. I am looking for more of a reason why this happens? Kuzi? Kuzi?
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    My guess? Most cigars I get are over humidified when i get them. Some companies are even known as overhumidifying them when they send them out. If you add a bunch of cigars to a given stable environment, you will cause instability. So I can think of two reasons why:

1. You just added a bunch of cigars with a higher rh then what your stable environment is currently at so the rh spikes and needs to be brought down by the humidification device. Or....

2. The cigars you added to the environment are lower rh and the device is now working in the opposite way and providing more rh to stabilize the new smokes and bring them up.

Now if it is just over a matter of time the rh just went up, maybe placing higher rh sticks over time in the humidor has had some sort of positive seasoning effect and the humidor is increasing rh and regulating itself with all the sticks. I've had high rh at times, pulled all humi devices, and seen a humidor hold rh for a week before it started coming down. Assuming the seal is doing its job, it is a seal, and meant to keep rh in. So my guess is the boveda pack is not doing its job. FYI...I had the same issue with boveda going both ways up and down, so I stopped using them.
  • BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    Roger Dustin I did recently receive a lot of stick and add them in, somewhere in the 20 to 30 range with Christmas Gift Exchange, and some purchases so I will give it a week and see whats up. Thanks.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Bombay:
    Roger Dustin I did recently receive a lot of stick and add them in, somewhere in the 20 to 30 range with Christmas Gift Exchange, and some purchases so I will give it a week and see whats up. Thanks.
    I've jsut noticed changes like that when I've added large amounts as well. Sometimes up, sometimes down. Good luck bro, and let us know what you find as I am curious to see.