Home Cigar 101
Options

Hygrometer Calibration

e6specialke6specialk Posts: 216
I have a digital hygro that should arrive tomorrow, should I salt test it prior to putting in the humidor? If so, does anyone have any suggestions to ensure a successful test? I performed a salt test on the analog hygro that I currently am using and I'm not sure if I performed the test properly. As I stated in a previous post, my hygro was reading 61 prior to the test and it read 50 after the test.

Comments

• Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Yes it would be a good idea to see where your hygrometer is calibrated at the start so you know how much, if any you need to adjust for.

There are instructions for the salt test here just do a search for it. It is easy, just use a spoonful of damp NOT WET (think paste) salt into an airtight container and place your hygro inside as well being careful not to come in contact with the spoon. Seal it up and leave it for at least 24 hours and then check your reading. If it is out you can mark by how much on the back of the hygrometer and from then on you know how much to adjust from the actual reading it gives you. Good luck and welcome aboard.