Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

1844, who's tried it

denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
anyone tried this. I'm always curious about new inexpensive brands. Who's the maker and blender? any details on the tobacco?

Comments

• Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    I had some. It's a pretty good smoke and the construction was amazing.
    Burned half the cigar before the ash fell off.
    I popped on a box today.

• Options
    Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Nicaraguan made with Nicaraguan fillers and San Andres Maduro wrapper. If you like Nica Libre, you will like the flavor on this one. because of the low low price, the maker of these asked me not to mention his factory.
  • Options
    so when they do a low price stick like this that has high quality, is it because there is only so much tobacco to do a limited run, or maybe a blend that fell thru the cracks with someone else, or???? I've heard stories about the bales used in the Graycliff 1666 for example. Not saying that this is one of those stories but why is it that a manufacturer takes the time to make a cigar that is hard to roll with quality product, and then cheap sells it.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibal:
    I popped on a box today.

I agree on the construction. Mine held the ash until I was halfway through, and there was a great draw with plenty o' smoke. Flavors were very good. I really like aged Nica Libre's, so that may be an influencing factor.

What surprised me the most was the strength. I didn't expect much strength, mainly because I don't find Nica Libre to be strong. This one got me a little lightheaded though.
  • Options
    Unthought_Known:
    stephen_hannibal:
    I popped on a box today.

I agree on the construction. Mine held the ash until I was halfway through, and there was a great draw with plenty o' smoke. Flavors were very good. I really like aged Nica Libre's, so that may be an influencing factor.

What surprised me the most was the strength. I didn't expect much strength, mainly because I don't find Nica Libre to be strong. This one got me a little lightheaded though.
    I find it weird that Alex compared these to Nica Libre. IMHO they are nothing alike.
    This would win hands down.

• Options
    stephen_hannibal:
    Unthought_Known:
    stephen_hannibal:
    I popped on a box today.

I find it weird that Alex compared these to Nica Libre. IMHO they are nothing alike.
    This would win hands down.

Truth be told, I havent had one since the samples so my memory may be a bit fuzzy. I know they are a bit stronger but the wrapper is the same as Nica Libre. I am at the factory tomorrow afternoon in Esteli and will be sure to snag one out of the aging room to revisit. Sorry if I led you guys astray. It does happen from time to time.
  • Options
    dennisking:
    so when they do a low price stick like this that has high quality, is it because there is only so much tobacco to do a limited run, or maybe a blend that fell thru the cracks with someone else, or???? I've heard stories about the bales used in the Graycliff 1666 for example. Not saying that this is one of those stories but why is it that a manufacturer takes the time to make a cigar that is hard to roll with quality product, and then cheap sells it.
    There was just some extra wrapper and extra fillers the factory needed to use so I got a great deal that gets passed on to you fine folks. The reason the factory does not want to be names is because they dont want to be known for the more inexpensive lines. Far too often price drives peoples opinions. Take Diesel for example. Since this cigar is primarily a mail order cigar, it comes from the factory right to your hands with no real middle men. Nationally distributed brands have lots of people in the middle taking a piece of the action before the consumer buys it. You may be surprised to know that Diesel is more expensive to make than many of the $8 cigars on the market yet because it is pretty factory direct in nature, you can scoop them up for a song. I hate when people say "it is a great $3 cigar". I think it is a great cigar at any price. If that cigar went through the same long supply chain as many national brands it wold retail for $7 to $9... no joke. I am going on a tangent here so forgive me. So since the factory knew I was going to sell them at a crazy price, the politely asked that we not mention who it was because there are too many folks out there who will pigeon hole the cigar based on its price and not its other merits. It is a great smoke though and the price only makes it that much better IMHO. Not sure this really answered the question but I wasnt going to pass up a chance to get on my soap box lol.
  • Options
    bipbip Posts: 483
    IMHO Get on your soap box as often as you like. We will all gain something from it.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    I agree. Alex can get on his soap box anytime. Always a learning experience.

Sure glad I grabbed a box of these. Starting to wish I had grabbed a few more.
  • Options
    Burned another one of these today.
    this is the best maduro wrapper IMHO.

• Options
    Alex Svenson:
    dennisking:
    There was just some extra wrapper and extra fillers the factory needed to use so I got a great deal that gets passed on to you fine folks. The reason the factory does not want to be names is because they dont want to be known for the more inexpensive lines. Far too often price drives peoples opinions. Take Diesel for example. Since this cigar is primarily a mail order cigar, it comes from the factory right to your hands with no real middle men. Nationally distributed brands have lots of people in the middle taking a piece of the action before the consumer buys it. You may be surprised to know that Diesel is more expensive to make than many of the $8 cigars on the market yet because it is pretty factory direct in nature, you can scoop them up for a song. I hate when people say "it is a great $3 cigar". I think it is a great cigar at any price. If that cigar went through the same long supply chain as many national brands it wold retail for $7 to $9... no joke. I am going on a tangent here so forgive me. So since the factory knew I was going to sell them at a crazy price, the politely asked that we not mention who it was because there are too many folks out there who will pigeon hole the cigar based on its price and not its other merits. It is a great smoke though and the price only makes it that much better IMHO. Not sure this really answered the question but I wasnt going to pass up a chance to get on my soap box lol.
    You completely answered my questions. So once the tobacco is gone, the 1844 will also be gone is what it sounds like
  • Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    I have tried the petite no.50 and the no.54. Both have something different to offer and both are quite good. What is great is the complexity and how it changes more than once during the burn. A friend said it best. It is like interval training to smoke one of these. Your palate gets a workout, in a good way.
  • Options
    dennisking:
    Alex Svenson:
    dennisking:
    You completely answered my questions. So once the tobacco is gone, the 1844 will also be gone is what it sounds like
    Probably not actually. This tobacco will continue to be purchased. For instance if a blend calls for 1 leaf of Esteli viso, the factory will get 3 seco leaves they will need to find a home for based on how it is purchased.
  • Options
    Alex Svenson:
    dennisking:
    Alex Svenson:
    dennisking:
    Probably not actually. This tobacco will continue to be purchased. For instance if a blend calls for 1 leaf of Esteli viso, the factory will get 3 seco leaves they will need to find a home for based on how it is purchased.
    there are so many facets to the tobacco industry. so damn intriguing.
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    dennisking:

I Wholeheartedly agree with this statement. A great cigar at A fair price makes it more enjoyable in my opinion.
  • Options
    dennisking:
    anyone tried this. I'm always curious about new inexpensive brands. Who's the maker and blender? any details on the tobacco?
    man i keep seeing these around when i have some cash again i hope i can find one!
  • Options
    dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gurkha Man!:
    dennisking:
    man i keep seeing these around when i have some cash again i hope i can find one!
    I bought 2 boxes a couple weeks ago...wishin now I had bought 2 more!

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gurkha man, i hear a new gurk is acoming out called a Gurkha Cellar Reserve and suppose to be very good
  • Options
    jj20030:
    gurkha man, i hear a new gurk is acoming out called a Gurkha Cellar Reserve and suppose to be very good
    also will be the royal challenge and seduction and the price point might be alittle easier 7-12 dollars now sounds like a good plan to me! feel free to purchase all of them and send them this guys way!
  • Options
    jj20030:
    check out Jake's review on that stick. Sounds really good.
  • Options
    Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    I sprung on a box a few weeks ago just because of the price, then dbeckom sent me a few in my winnings from his contest. Had one right away a I am glad I got it. More than likely I will get another box just because of the price and the fact that it's such a great smoke I rely enjoyed it.
  • Options
    dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lakota72:
    I sprung on a box a few weeks ago just because of the price, then dbeckom sent me a few in my winnings from his contest. Had one right away a I am glad I got it. More than likely I will get another box just because of the price and the fact that it's such a great smoke I rely enjoyed it.
    I think the 1844 will age really good...IF I can stay out of them! I have a box of the 60 Extra that I'm not gonna touch, and I plan on getting another box of the 54. Its my favorite size...not too big and not too small.

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • Options
    Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    Marker introduced me to these smokes and they are awesome for the $$...I prefer the #50
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got a box of the 50-extras, was very good ROTT, getting better as the weeks go by. I think I'll go for the 52 next time, and I'm planning on a next time.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    I had one that The Beard sent me... it was the 50 extra i think... it was aight... not bad for the $ though
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    I've had a couple now. I grabbed a few boxes of these and I am sure glad I did. Good solid stick. Nothing fancy but a good tasting nicely constructed Nicaraguan stick with a tasty Mexican Maduro wrapper. Great price point too.
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i just saw a corona sampler with a 1844 dos capos in it ( baarberpole) wonder if they are coming out with them as i love the lhc dos capos
  • Options
    Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Man, if they do, I will sure be interested in getting a box.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    jj20030:
    i just saw a corona sampler with a 1844 dos capos in it ( baarberpole) wonder if they are coming out with them as i love the lhc dos capos
    I saw this sampler too. When they're in stock I'm all over it like a tall dog!
  • Options
    grannejagranneja Posts: 382
    Had an 1844 last weekend and wondered what everyones opinion was on the right amount of time to age it? I liked it, but was picking up some harshness?