Home General Discussion
Options

La perla black pearl troubles

Smoked a black pearl tonight for the first time and had the wrapper coming apart all over. Got the sticks about a two weeks ago and they have been sitting in the humi since then. Did I take it out to soon? I'm fairly certain my cut was good and the wrapper was coming apart at both ends and cracking in the middle. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    AJGARLETTAJGARLETT Posts: 648
    Fire up another one. Bad sticks happen, unfortunately it happens on your first smoke
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Wow, Im suprised I have smoked many of those, One of my go to sticks. Ive never had a problem. Actually thats why its my go to... never any surprises with that one...In my experience dryness is usually a contributor in sticks that unravel. Not sure if thats the case or you got a bad one. Things happen. Did it explode like say from too much humidity? That happens too, Was the wrapper dry and brittle or soft and spongy?
  • Options
    amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    I've smoked probably 10 - 15 of these, never had a problem with one either. If you bought them here and think you got some bad ones e-mail or call one of the reps., they'll take care of you.
  • Options
    d-robd-rob Posts: 61
    Dryness may have been the issue. Only let them sit for two weeks. I may give the rest a couple more then go back to them. The flavor was good so I don't want to give up just yet.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I buy them by the box. Great deal. Never had one unravel. I like the Morado Toro
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Two weeks is plenty of enough time for the cigars to be smokeable. I'm assuming you bought them from a reputable retailer like Cigar.com Next question is have you calibrated your hygrometer and what are you using for humidification?
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    I've smoked several varieties of Black Pearls without any problems. It sounds like dryness might be your main issue. A digital hygrometer might serve you well.
  • Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    d-rob:
    I'm fairly certain my cut was good
    Since the bum stick theory, and the dryness theory have already been discussed, I'll throw out the 3rd reasons cigars unravel . . . .

Cutting off the entire cap. you said the cut was good, but if it unraveled on both ends, did the cap fall off, or had you snipped too much? I bring it up just becuase this has been the cause for me more often than not when I'm not paying attention. The cap on a cigar is also to keep the wrapper secure on the end your pulling off, while you smoke it. But I guess you said the lit end uraveled too . . . . so maybe it was the bum stick theory. I don't know, jsut thought I'd bring up the cap thing. is also why brands that have a triple cap are sure to include that fact in the write up of the cigar. it REALLY makes a difference.

so I agree with what everyone else said. try another one, but when you do, make sure you leave as much cap as you can while still getting a decent draw. Or punch it. I actually really like my punch, becuase there's no room for user error on my part.
  • Options
    d-robd-rob Posts: 61
    The hygrometer was calibrated is reading around 71. The stick spent the last couple of days in my herfador with boveda packs. The only reason I even bring it up is that it had a good flavor and I don't want to give up on it just yet.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    If it's just one stick then I wouldn't sweat it. Sticks in that price range aren't always going to be perfect. Hell, sticks in a higher price range won't always be perfect.
  • Options
    mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    I buy these by the box as well and never had any problems.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've occasionally had the cap to unravel a little, even with a good cut, but only once the whole cigar, and it was after only about 2 weeks of rest. Since then, I've always given them a good 30 days, no problems.

I didn't notice, but did you take it outside into the heat and humidity and fire it up? This happens to me here in TN in the summer, especially when it's 99 F and 99% humidity, like now.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had my Cohiba bust on me the other day while soming and it was real humid. Still smoked well tho didn't try to unravel till it got to a big split but it held. Barely.