Home General Discussion
Options

Poor man's humidification

I got this idea from an old cigar smoker I was talking to last week. The Soil Moist cost me about $12 at Fred Meyers, the bags were on sle for .50 each at Ben Franklin. I probably used way to much Soil Moist. I used 3 tablespoons in each of the two small bags and 6 Tablespoons in the big bag. They suck in a lot of distilled water and I can probably get them even plumper if I used more distilled water. I'm going to check the RH over night to see where they are at

Comments

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    If you're gonna cheap out on the beads, you could just use kitty litter; some people swear by it (personally, I have an irrational fear of using something meant to be pissed on to humidify my cigars)
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    If you're gonna cheap out on the beads, you could just use kitty litter; some people swear by it (personally, I have an irrational fear of using something meant to be pissed on to humidify my cigars)
    lol
  • Options
    bipbip Posts: 483
    something meant to be pissed on is a phobia of mine. These are ( I believe) made with silica, which (I think) is the same stuff that is in the humidification pillows etc.
  • Options
    bip:
    something meant to be pissed on is a phobia of mine. These are ( I believe) made with silica, which (I think) is the same stuff that is in the humidification pillows etc.
    Well, let us know how it turns out; beads are typically manufactured with some kind of salt so they only emit humidity at certain RH's, but if this works, go for it and keep us posted
  • Options
    MonteWhiteMonteWhite Posts: 200
    xmacro:
    For real? I only use kitty litter, but it has to have a slight drizzle of urine. It really brightens up the flavors and brings them to life ;)
  • Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    That made my morning Monte. Really brightens up the tangy & acrid ammonia flavors in cigars.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    (personally, I have an irrational fear of using something meant to be pissed on to humidify my cigars)
    Which is why I don't let my girlfriend tend to my cigars either....

Oh, man... even I felt awkward with that one......
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    xmacro:
    (personally, I have an irrational fear of using something meant to be pissed on to humidify my cigars)

She uses too much kitty litter??
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    xmacro:

I'm not sure whether to laugh my ass off or cringe . . . I kinda wanna do both :P
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Imagine if we could regulate their relative humidity. Keep em dry while they age, and them get them all moist before we imbibe. You know, I'm thinking 70° and 70% Rh really keeps that yeast problem at bay. Its' all science and chemistry.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Don't eat the yellow snow.
  • Options
    beatnic:
    Imagine if we could regulate their relative humidity. Keep em dry while they age, and them get them all moist before we imbibe. You know, I'm thinking 70° and 70% Rh really keeps that yeast problem at bay. Its' all science and chemistry.
    70& 70 is about perfect. Not too dry but def have some heat and moisture going.
  • Options
    This all some very scientific stuff with a lot of math and science, etc to fig this out.
    Basically I used way too much of the Moist soil. I ended up pouring most of it from the three bags I made into another bag. I then put the three bags into 3 different coolers. I have a 100 quart that I keep most of my boxes and unopened in, a smaller styrofoam one that I keep everything else in and a smaller cooer that I keep any infused, I might acquired into. After putting the bags into the coolers I let them sit a while and then checked on the humidity. The first time I checked I was at bout 73-76 between the three. I poured out more of the moist soil and continued to stagger that and checking my humidity until I am at 67-69 hum. between all three. With the excess I now have. I'll have to wait about 6 months to a year for them to go back to their dry property. I'll have to keep checking the humidity especially since I'm using coolers without any spanish cedar and the addition or subtraction of cigars will change the humidity. At that point I just have to pour out a little bit or add a bit more Soil Moist to keep it pretty constant.