Home Cigar 101
Options

Ending A Cigar

handypantzhandypantz Posts: 86
I need your guys opinions on when to stop smoking a cigar. I regularly smoke with a friend who will smoke his cigar to the hilt...leaving little but cigar ash and burned skin at the end, I on the other hand will generally leave at least a couple of inches of the cigar because I believe the flavors get harsh and unpleasant. Is this subjective? Am I doing wrong? So please let me know your thoughts and generally how much cigar you leave to be consumed by the ashtray.

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭

i smoke em all the way down too. To keep them from getting harsh i smoke slowly. one puff a minute or so.  take it easy.

that being said, it is subjective. if it isnt good to you at any point there is no reason to keep going.

• Options
    CastleCrestCastleCrest Posts: 51
    handypantz:
    I Am I doing wrong?

So please let me know your thoughts and generally how much cigar you leave to be consumed by the ashtray.

Yes you are wrong!
    This is a serious line you have crossed!
    You will now have to not smoke for 3 weeks.
    Then write a 5 page paper on respecting the cigar!
    After that & only after that - you bath in ice cold water.
    You can now smoke your finest cigar!

_ Just don't stub out the cigar when your done!

I know lots of people that only smoke part of a cigar -
    I smoke till I don't want to - depends on the cigar.

Focus on proper storage & you may find yourself
    nubbing a few more cigars!
    Smoking slowly is always good!
  • Options
    golfcigarjunkiegolfcigarjunkie Posts: 61
    Toothpicks work to help with the burned skin. Some cigars are not worthy of nubbing. Some cigars need to be nubbed. There is no right or wrong way do what works for you.
  • Options
    jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    smoke that thing till you stop enjoying it, and no, please don't mash the cigar into the ashtray when done, its just not nice.
  • Options
    handypantzhandypantz Posts: 86
    snuffing a cigar out is too taboo for me.....i always let mine dwindle while i finish the last bit of scotch in my glass
  • Options
    ashmasterashmaster Posts: 237
    I agree with jihiggs. Smoke it till the enjoyment is gone, set it in the ashtray and let it go to sleep peacefully
  • Options
    TccargillTccargill Posts: 23
    I rarely leave anything for the ashtray. My personal opinion on the subject is that if I dont smoke it all the way down ill never know if I really enjoyed it or not. I do smoke it slowly though all the way through. I dont know if its just me or not, but the flavor changes toward the end, maybe not the flavor but the strength of the cigar. If its really unbearable ill let it burn out, but I find it hard to mash someones hard work.
  • Options
    The point of enjoying a cigar is just that, enjoying a cigar. If it gets down to the point where you are no longer enjoying yourself, you won't be looked down on for setting your cigar down and calling it. To me, there is always that sweet spot about an inch above the end of it, and after that, it's just too much work and hot smoke, so I end it. As far as the ashtray, proper etiquette would be to just set down your cigar and let it burn out peacefully.
  • Options

I agree with CigarStudent. I smoke mine until the it becomes unpleasant to smoke. Sometimes it is as far as I can smoke it and other times as far up as the wrapper. A key to keeping the smoke cooler is to keep as long of an ash as possible. Plus it looks cool.

Pete T

• Options
    PKJHPKJH Posts: 11
    I smoke it untiil I do not enjoy it anymore Depending on the smoke the flavors change several times through the course of the smoke, sometimes of the best are at the last bit of the cigar. Then I just leave it in the ashtray.
  • Options
    CigarStudent.com:
    The point of enjoying a cigar is just that, enjoying a cigar. If it gets down to the point where you are no longer enjoying yourself, you won't be looked down on for setting your cigar down and calling it. To me, there is always that sweet spot about an inch above the end of it, and after that, it's just too much work and hot smoke, so I end it. As far as the ashtray, proper etiquette would be to just set down your cigar and let it burn out peacefully.
    Quoted for the truth. Couldn't agree more. Though in college, your ashtray is the world, so I just throw it in the woods or trash after I make sure it's out.
  • Options
    Cigar-20073735Cigar-20073735 Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    It's kinda like the last cup of coffee in the bottom of the pot. 
    A lil bit burnt and highly concentrated. some would say It tastes like crap.
    Now my Oliva V which I am particularly fond of, delivers quite a punch in the final third. The ligero leaf! If you didn't pack a lunch you will know it!
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy necro Batman!  And I thought @Yakster was the king of thread-necro!
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Nothing wrong with a good necro. Nothing except it sure does draw a lot of attention. I think it's a good thread and a good necro post. If he'd started a new thread we'd be b!tchen' about "We already got a thread for that newbie". Newbies can't win! 
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    The key to a good necro-post is to leverage the old discussion but bring it current.  Replying to someone who posted ten years ago is a bit pointless, since most of those folks seem to be gone from the forum, but if you can talk to the issue, bring it current, share the knowledge, that's a win.

This particular necro falls into the later category in my opinion.

I smoke a cigar until I stop enjoying it.  I have my nubber ready for the good cigars but don't always reach for it.  I also have a tendancy to smoke too quickly, especially in winter.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Yeah, I wasn't being critical, and like the distinction Chris makes; replying to someone who is now a ghost and no longer active, vs. restarting a discussion.  I'd rather see it go this way, where a newb is searching and reading old threads than having a new thread every two weeks about stuff covered over and over.

But then, who the flock am I, to think my opinion is worth a hill o' beans?

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    Yeah, I wasn't being critical, and like the distinction Chris makes; replying to someone who is now a ghost and no longer active, vs. restarting a discussion.  I'd rather see it go this way, where a newb is searching and reading old threads than having a new thread every two weeks about stuff covered over and over.

But then, who the flock am I, to think my opinion is worth a hill o' beans?

I, for one, have great respect for your opinions and your beans.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I fired off my post without much thought. I did sense criticism for the necro but that was a faulty perception on my part.

As far as when I will end a cigar, I let the cigar speak for itself. I don't take it down to the nub unless it's worthwhile to do so. Sometimes a great cigar will not be great still by the time you get down to the nub.   
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As Sir Luken says, it depends on the cigar.  If I'm really enjoying it, I smoke it until my fingers burn.  If it starts to get a little bitter, I'll smoke it almost all the way down, but not to my fingers.

If you all promise not to tell anyone, I don't use a toothpick or spike, because I find the cigar rotates a little.  I've been using the two pronged corn cob holder and it works great.  It just looks a little funny.
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YankeeMan said:
    As Sir Luken says, it depends on the cigar.  If I'm really enjoying it, I smoke it until my fingers burn.  If it starts to get a little bitter, I'll smoke it almost all the way down, but not to my fingers.

If you all promise not to tell anyone, I don't use a toothpick or spike, because I find the cigar rotates a little.  I've been using the two pronged corn cob holder and it works great.  It just looks a little funny.
    I picked up a good size corn cob holder at Walmart for 99 cent. Works great.
  • Options
    ...bunch of hicks...  corn cob holders...  pssshhhh.
  • Options
    peter4jc said:
    ...bunch of hicks...  corn cob holders...  pssshhhh.
    Doesn't make me a bad person!  OK, maybe...
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually leave enough to plant in the cigar garden. Haven't had much luck yet.....
  • Options
    jd50ae said:
    I usually leave enough to plant in the cigar garden. Haven't had much luck yet.....
    It depends on how deep you plant them and how often you water them.  I was going to try growing my own food, but I couldn't find bacon seeds!
  • Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YankeeMan said:
    jd50ae said:
    It depends on how deep you plant them and how often you water them.  I was going to try growing my own food, but I couldn't find bacon seeds!

You need to spit on them.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When it turns bitter or or I pass out. Whichever comes first