Home Ratings & Reviews

lookin for more bargain "daily" smokes.....

KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
Eventhough I only smoke 3 days/week, I'm starting to have 2 per day on those days it seems. Additionally - there is the "hand-out" factor..........and after watching my somewhat drunk brother-in-law make a mess of a nice PDR I gave him, I'm thinking he's gonna get slightly "simpler" (less expensive) sticks from now on..........

I need a third "go to" daily smoke to join with the two I already have below:
1) Gran Habano Vintage 2002 Robusto
2) Padilla Series 68 Robusto Maduro

So here's what I'm thinking currently.....which would you pick?
La Perla Habana Classic Collection
http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewCigar.asp?prod=SP-LPASST8

or
Cuba Libre Brute
http://www.cigarsinternational.com/html/spec_wkly.asp?emailsrc=true

Alternative suggestions welcomed, but must be under or at $2/stick, and also somewhat different than the Gran Habano and Padilla I currently use as my "daily".

Thanks Gents!

Comments

• How long do you typically smoke? The Nica Libre Perfecto's are $2/cigar right now, and they're fantastic - but at that size, it lasts much longer than the robusto's you've listed.
  • MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    Unthought_Known:
    How long do you typically smoke? The Nica Libre Perfecto's are $2/cigar right now, and they're fantastic - but at that size, it lasts much longer than the robusto's you've listed.
    + 1 on the Nica Libre another one you might want to consider is the Oliveros Classic Corona. nice flavor and burn and comes in at $1.99 a stick.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    I smoke all sizes/shapes, etc. But I already have enough "big" sticks - so looking for some Robustos or smaller sticks - I think the Habanas are a robusto...but not sure.
    That Nica Libre dos look good.......but not sure it will fit at the moment
  • ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭
    I've tried quite a few bargain sticks and the best really cheap cigar I've found is Blue Label.  have you tried that one?   Might not be for everyone but it is densely packed, great draw and nice flavor....medium to medium-light type of smoke..I think Gran Habano makes it too.

I also like La Herencia Cubana for a basic stick....think it is an AJ stick and actually one of my favorite sticks of his...prefer to MOW personally..

• bobojobobojo Posts: 13
    I'd recommend any of the Arganese - much overlooked- or the La Aurora seconds. Also, have you checked out the "Thrifty Thirty" sampler? Some solid smokes in that one for @$2.
  • PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    check out the ccom members review site CrapCigars.com great info there. For a personal opinion, i think the Resposado 96 Habano is a great smoke for $2
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    CCOM House Labels can be had for a great price! Sungrown, Brazilian, Red and Cuban are all great!
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    ENFIDL:
    CCOM House Labels can be had for a great price! Sungrown, Brazilian, Red and Cuban are all great!
    +1. Exactly what I was going to say. Can't go wrong with the house labels for the price.
  • Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    I have a lot of LPH Classics on hand. Aside from the Series 68 that is pretty much my go to cigar. I also like it for an everyday stick. That's just my opinion.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    From your two options, I would definitely go with the La Perla's. Have you tried the Carlos Torano Dominico yet? When it comes to budget smokes, its really hard to beat them.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Call/e-mail your rep, and if you don't have one, pick Tim. He might be able to make some sticks that you think are a bit over the threshold fall down below. The beard can often do magic.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    la perla habana morado, 5 vegas classic, cu avana maduro, bahia maduro
  • i knowhow u feel , i have a friend that is going through alot , and when i see him , i give him like 3-4 sticks.....he doesnt know anything about cigars, and every time we hang out, i tell him more and more about this wonderful hobby( sport)....anyways.......i love the puro indios viejo......i can usually find them 5 for 5 bucks on some auctions, so i stock up , when i have people over.. i even had a fellow that smokes and knows about cigars, try one fot he veijo, and he simply loved it........try it out, and let me know
  • Conga is a unique extension of the La Perla Habana Black Pearl line. The blend is complex, featuring a thick Brazilian wrapper hugging a mellow composition of Nicaraguan long leaf fillers bound by a tasty Indonesian binder. The result is a mild to medium bodied cigar bursting with flavor. Packaged inside an interesting "conga drum" style box. this also is a good cigar and inexpensive, .....ihave the veiojos and the conga waiting for those that want to smoke at my place., but have no idea about cigars.....
  • danielruasdanielruas Posts: 778
    I like the bahia maduros and trinidads, great taste and you can get a mazo of 20 for 40 bucks.
    Thanks for all the suggestions gents - my head and eyes hurt now..........
    I have narrowed things down a bit - and decided that as well as being a lower cost stick, it should be a sub-5 inch stick, like a 4.5 inch or so.
    I have a slot in my stuffed humi that will fit 10 t0 20 4.5 inch sticks perfectly!

• docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    KingoftheCove:
    I have narrowed things down a bit - and decided that as well as being a lower cost stick, it should be a sub-5 inch stick, like a 4.5 inch or so.
    I have a slot in my stuffed humi that will fit 10 t0 20 4.5 inch sticks perfectly!

Got to get into Petite Coronas my man. Also, if this is the size you're looking for, check out the two 4x40 Tatuaje sticks, the Verocru No.5 and PCR. Both are awesome!
  • wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    IMO it's kinda hard to find low cost smaller sticks that are really solid smokes.
    Depends on what you are looking for. I know Alex hates when people refer to the Diesel as a budget stick, because the blend really does contain tobacco as good or better than the tobacco used in any 7-8$ sticks, but the Diesel is one of the best deals on the market, at 100 bucks or whatever for a SLB of THIRTY smokes. Plus they age well, so buy two boxes, smoke one box now, and by the time you finish the first box, the second box will have some age on them, and be really fantastic.
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    The LPH line are always A good deal. Fine taste and flavor. The La Herencia Cubana's are also A good deal. Medium bodied and flavor. The Cuba Libre Brute is A little strong for A beginner.
    docbp87:
    KingoftheCove:

Got to get into Petite Coronas my man. Also, if this is the size you're looking for, check out the two 4x40 Tatuaje sticks, the Verocru No.5 and PCR. Both are awesome!
    yeah, they do look really good, but they break my wallet....so I have to continue my search.
    Been seriously considering this deal
    http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=CB-FEA6052&cat=216

the Fat Boy.........anyone ever try one of these stumps?
    Never had one, but for the price, or almost that price, you can get a box of the old blend Pinar Del Rio Habano Sun Growns in just about any size, and they are killer every day smokes. Great flavor, good performance, and yeah... inexpensive. I think Tim hooked me up with boxes of Lanceros for like 60$ each, but the Petite coronas or whatever are even cheaper. for 25$ a box you're going to have a really hard time finding a full sized cigar that is really worth your while.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Padilla 1948 EL can be had cheap and it is a good everyday stick. Good deals on budget sticks are all over the place if you look hard for them.
    Ken Light:
    Call/e-mail your rep, and if you don't have one, pick Tim. He might be able to make some sticks that you think are a bit over the threshold fall down below. The beard can often do magic.
    I have had Tim do wonders for me already - and he quoted me a price for a sampler of 15 "short" sticks (I asked for cigars in the 4.5 inch range - but no Nubs - I'm not a Nub fan)......
    Only problem is he didn't tell me what sticks I was gonna get.

I should simply trust him based on past performance - (but I just want to know what I'm getting!)
    I sent another email - but was probably too late in the day.
    I went ahead and asked Tim send me the sampler.
    This will actually be kind of cool - l won't know what's coming!
    But I'm sure it's gonna be good.

yeah.....it's good......really effen good!!
    A "Beard" hookup for sure!

• robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    not sure if this falls under the "bargain" title, but the Punch Double Maduro Rothschild is 4.5 x 50 and it's one of my favorite "go-to" smokes... when I want something good or quick, that's what I light up... and at $15.50 for a 5er, you cant really go wrong...

in fact, they come in boxes of 50 and I'd LOVE to split that with someone... just puttin it out there
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    docbp87:
    Never had one, but for the price, or almost that price, you can get a box of the old blend Pinar Del Rio Habano Sun Growns in just about any size, and they are killer every day smokes. Great flavor, good performance, and yeah... inexpensive. I think Tim hooked me up with boxes of Lanceros for like 60$ each, but the Petite coronas or whatever are even cheaper. for 25$ a box you're going to have a really hard time finding a full sized cigar that is really worth your while.
    Which one's are the "old blend"? I've seen these mentioned the site on several occasions and I'm curious... can you point me in their direction?