Home Non Cigar Related
Options

No Reservations, Cuba

denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
did anyone else watch this. it was super interesting to get a look at this country that time forgot. high amounts of citizens with phd level educations was a surprising fact. on the cigar side of things, I noticed a lot of big ring cigars being smoked. hmmmm

Comments

• Options
    amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    No but I wanted to, forgot all about it. I should have set the DVR when I saw the previews. Guess I'll have to catch the replay. I saw a good show on a while back where they were in Cuba filming about all the classic American cars there. If memory serves me corrrect I think they said there were more classic American cars in Cuba than in the US. Don't know if I could talk the wife into it but I'd love to take a vacation there.
  • Options
    BlueRingsBlueRings Posts: 367
    It was a great show. I love No Reservations. I was surprised that he didn't cover cigars at all which was a bit disappointing. I though it was funny to see James Suckling from Cigar Aficionado did a cigar cameo.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Options
    yeah, he stood out like a sore thumb. I noticed him right away. I was checking in to what it takes to travel there and apparently you can travel there but only to Havana
  • Options
    Been talking about it for a few months now. There are cigar tours you can do there. I would also like to visit family and tour my grandfathers estate, now property of the Cuban government. Still have several family members there that never got the chance to leave. We still send them money in order to have a good life and nice things. They lost the farms during the revolution as the government was overtaking all of the tobacco farms during the early 60s. They lost everything, but that was an unwilling sacrifice that provided my mother a much better life.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    BlueRings:
    Been talking about it for a few months now. There are cigar tours you can do there. I would also like to visit family and tour my grandfathers estate, now property of the Cuban government. Still have several family members there that never got the chance to leave. We still send them money in order to have a good life and nice things. They lost the farms during the revolution as the government was overtaking all of the tobacco farms during the early 60s. They lost everything, but that was an unwilling sacrifice that provided my mother a much better life.
    That's crazy to think if I had Family in CUBA... I haven't seen the show yet (On my DVR) but I bet it's quite the change of pace
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    BlueRings:
    That's crazy to think if I had Family in CUBA... I haven't seen the show yet (On my DVR) but I bet it's quite the change of pace

Spoke with my mother as she watched it too and to hear her tell stories about some of the places as Anthony Bourdian walked the streets of Cuba. It was surreal for her recounting her stories at some of the landmarks he visited. She was amazed how it all looked the same, like stepping back in time for her. She hasn't step foot in Cuba since 1968.
  • Options
    with State run health care and people that have Doctorate level education, you'd think they wouldn't allow cigar smoking so much. It just proves the point that cigars aren't as bad as they say.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Suckling posted on his blog that he tried to chat Bourdain up, recommend restaurants, bars, and of course talk cigars, and Bourdain was a total *** to him. Bummer. Suckling may not be perfect, or even humble... but it sucks Bourdain thinks he's a rock star.
  • Options
    yeah, I would've liked it a lot more if Andrew Zimmern would've hosted the show. He's a way better host than Bourdain
  • Options
    JonathanEJonathanE Posts: 401
    My grandma (abuelita) was born in Cuba and still has a lot of family there. She's afraid to go back and visit because she doesn't think Uncle Fidel will let her leave!

JDE

• Options
    JonathanE:
    My grandma (abuelita) was born in Cuba and still has a lot of family there. She's afraid to go back and visit because she doesn't think Uncle Fidel will let her leave!

JDE

I guess this is a very real fear too. I want to go there more and more. i love the culture here in the states so i wonder how it compares to real cuban culture