Home General Discussion
Options

Tupperdor vs humi.

So embarassing as it is to admit Ive never had a real humi. I use a plastic box with hinges that is basically like a plastic humi. Holds rh perfect and never had any problems.

Now Im wondering if Im missing out on flavor that would come from the spanish cedar. I always notice that cigars from a BnM taste a little different and a little better. Could this be the reason?

Comments

• Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    That depends on if you are more of a buy and smoke type of guy or if you want to age the cigars. My experience is that tupperware and coolers work fine in a pinch and if you are smoking a small number of cigars quickly it will not affect anything at all. However, if you are wanting to age the cigars then, yes. Purchase a cheep humi to start with (CC has some 20 ct ones for around $30.00) and give it a try.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    gaberox:
    So embarassing as it is to admit Ive never had a real humi. I use a plastic box with hinges that is basically like a plastic humi. Holds rh perfect and never had any problems. Now Im wondering if Im missing out on flavor that would come from the spanish cedar. I always notice that cigars from a BnM taste a little different and a little better. Could this be the reason?
    Spanish Cedar is known for it's regulation of Humidity and it's aroma... I'm sure over a LONG period of time the cedar could impart some nuances, but not right away.

If you're worried about it first, make sure there is not other smell in your humi than Cigars (i.e. plastic smell etc.) and second, you can always just break up cedar cigar boxes or buy spanish cedar and put it in your Tupperdor.
    I had a cooler with a hinge for quite some time and I just broke down cigar boxes and Glue Gun'd the cedar to the sides making my own humi. Good Smell and perfect Rh!
  • Options
    RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    You have a humi....
  • Options
    gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    RCY Cigars:
    You have a humi....

You sir have pm from days ago.

Thanks for the feedback everyone it seems to make total sense. The difference may be very minute but I seem to notice it more these days. However my tupperdor has served me well.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i just lined my tupperware with Spanish cedar.

as much as i love the look of a nice humidor, there is a good chance i will never buy one again.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    gaberox:
    So embarassing as it is to admit Ive never had a real humi. I use a plastic box with hinges that is basically like a plastic humi. Holds rh perfect and never had any problems. Now Im wondering if Im missing out on flavor that would come from the spanish cedar. I always notice that cigars from a BnM taste a little different and a little better. Could this be the reason?
    Cedar also has mold fighting properties to it, not to mention the aroma and cedar notes it can impart onto sticks. Nothing wrong with using tupperware, hell, u can even use ziploc baggies if u wanted to.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    As already mentioned you just have to put Spanish cedar in the Tupperware. I don't use Tupperware myself, but I do use coolers, and I've got cedar trays, and cigars in their boxes inside. The smell just as amazing as my regular humidors.
  • Options
    danielruasdanielruas Posts: 778
    I've got broken up cedar cigar boxes in my tupperdor but I still don't get nearly as good of a smell out of it as I do my humi but I just use it for overflow anyhow so I'm not too worried about it
  • Options
    gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    RCY Cigars:
    You have a humi....

This guy is dangerous once he gets your addy lol.
  • Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    gaberox:
    RCY Cigars:
    You have a humi....
    This guy is dangerous once he gets your addy lol.

One hell of a Brother, as I've heard & seen lately. Plus I like him even more as of late. ;-). Good to see we have stand up men representing our country also.