Home General Discussion
Options

infusing cigars

I had read a post on here some time ago about infusing your own cigars. I just tried mine for the first time, and think they were fantastic. I took a heavy cedar cigar sampler box and soaked the inside with glenmorangie porta ruban (filled it with about a shot of liquid at a time and let it absorb). Once i felt the box had had enough, i packed it tightly with 5 rocky patels, slid the lid on and placed it in a large box humidor. I let it sit for 6 months without ever opening the lid. Smoked my first one today, the smell was out of this world. So happy with the results that i am trying a few new flavors (evan williams bourbon single and maybe coffee). By the way, this did not create an entirely new cigar..it just added some depth and nuances that i really enjoyed. If you want a flavored cigar...buy one. If you want to add your own signature to a good smoke... this seems to work

Comments

• Options
    KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    I have done a few methods, but my most favorite is injecting a tiny bit into the cigar itself via a long needle through the foot and into the filler leaves themselves, then packing them tight into a humidor and letting them age and age. I love using a bit of a sweet rum, maybe 2 ml worth in the syringe, but if you want to pack a punch, do both. soak the humi in something strong, inject something weak and let it all age and blend together. I found the nuances of the injected rums much nicer when burning in the filler, as opposed to just burning off on the wrapper.
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Sounds like your experiment was a success. I've never infused cigars before, but the absorption method sounds better than the direct injection method. To me, it seems like letting the cigars slowly take in the liquor from its environment would result in a more even coating of "flavor."
  • Options
    jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    I've also been experimenting with the infusion. I currently have (3) 5 Vegas Cask sitting in a ziplock bag with a shot of Cognac. I've misted in the bag a few times also. I do "burp" the bag every now and then. I started the process June 9th. I smoked my first one on July 9th and it was good! Cask is flavor as it is and it gave it subtle hints of Cognac. I'll let the other go for 2 more months before i try them again. So my next round is Sept 9th. Keeps it interesting. i think I should have tried a every day maduro cigar and not a Cask though.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    That seems like a fun way to do it. I've also been wanting to put some sticks w/ a shot glass of JD in a ziploc and see if that would work.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if dry boxing for a while before starting this process would help?
  • Options
    Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    wwestern:

A good thought; make them "starved" for moisture so to speak, so as to be more receptive to the liquid you wish to infuse them with.
  • Options
    wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    Smoke=Fire:
    wwestern:

A good thought; make them "starved" for moisture so to speak, so as to be more receptive to the liquid you wish to infuse them with.
    I've somehow ended up with a couple of puros indios I may try to infuse them this way....I'm thinking gasoline should improve them vastly.
  • Options
    Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    wwestern:
    Smoke=Fire:
    wwestern:

I've somehow ended up with a couple of puros indios I may try to infuse them this way....I'm thinking gasoline should improve them vastly.

At the very least, you should reduce the time you are forced to smoke them. ;)