Home General Discussion
Options

If you could pick...

I know this is a highly subjective question with intents on sparking a lot of opinions. If money were no issue and you were to pick the best cigar for someone's first experience, what would you suggest and why?

Comments

• Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    karcus:
    I know this is a highly subjective question with intents on sparking a lot of opinions. If money were no issue and you were to pick the best cigar for someone's first experience, what would you suggest and why?
    I still would go with something I think would not be too crazy or powerful. I'd do a 5 Vegas 'A' or Gold... I've turned many a person onto cigars with the Serie 'A'

I think if I were to buy a crazy cigar and money's not an object I'd just get pissed for either they wouldn't like it, or they wouldn't appreciate it ENOUGH for their not aware of the cigar's awesomeness, or can't appreciate the flavors on their palate.

I'd also consider a Montecristo No. 4 as a first timer smoke, nice and smooth
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Tough question - if money were no object, I'd buy and smoke some Cohiba Siglo VI's, but I think the complexity would be lost on someone who's never smoked a cigar before.

For a good first experience, I'd stick with something mild, that won't make them want to vomit; 5 Vegas Gold, Oliva Conn. Reserve, Macanduo, Monte Cristo White, etc
  • Options
    dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As Lassie said, I'd go with something smooth like the 5 Vegas or my personal favorite, the Gurkha Symphony...something that's not overpowering or too spicy.

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    good question man . . . .

Even though $$ is no option, I'd stick with the basics, because if they don't like traditionaly tobacco flavors then they won't dig cigars. Two that come to mind for me are the macanudo maduro (so mild all you taste is a light maduro sweetness) and the Arturo Fuente Cuban Corona with the Cameroon wrapper (very mild and the small ring lets it it showcas the cameroon flavor which I usually get a light yet still somewhat chewy, mild, sweet, tang to them that leaves a very dry mouthfeel for me with a short finish).
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    I will nominate the Arturo Fuente Short Story. Not a long smoke, not an overpowering smoke, but a GREAT smoke that would show a newcomer everything this hobby can and should be at its best.

• Options
    Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    Probably an Oliva serie G Robusto. A very nice Cameroon, smooth, and not too potent to make them turn green.

Unless I didn't like them, in which case I would give them Diesal and tell them that it is customary to inhale. ;)
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    My choice would be either a Fonseca #1 or La Gloria Cubana Medaille de Oro #2, both Cuban. There is sense in giving someone a simple yet good cigar to start with, but I also feel there is sense in giving someone a cigar that will leave them wanting more like it. Both of the aforementioned cigars are mild-medium in strength with a gentle, smooth flavor profile...in my opinion, that is the set of qualities I would look for if I could pick my first cigar over again.
  • Options
    karcuskarcus Posts: 6
    I was very happy NYHCx516x gave me a Gurkha Black Dragon. I'd say that's what got me hooked! Unfortunately, I cannot say it was my first. It definitely sealed the deal for me.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    j0z3r:
    My choice would be either a Fonseca #1 or La Gloria Cubana Medaille de Oro #2, both Cuban. There is sense in giving someone a simple yet good cigar to start with, but I also feel there is sense in giving someone a cigar that will leave them wanting more like it. Both of the aforementioned cigars are mild-medium in strength with a gentle, smooth flavor profile...in my opinion, that is the set of qualities I would look for if I could pick my first cigar over again.
    Something along these lines. If not Cuban, then I think the Fuente Hemingway line, or Don Carlos line would be great options. Kuzi is on to something with AVO as well... though maybe not the AVO 22 haha.
  • Options
    danielruasdanielruas Posts: 778
    I just got two of my buddies into cigars, one witha warlock the other with a cao brazilia, I figured they'd both vomit but they really enjoyed them,but hey everyone is different.
  • Options
    Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Padilla 1968
  • Options
    NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Posts: 728
    karcus:
    I was very happy NYHCx516x gave me a Gurkha Black Dragon. I'd say that's what got me hooked! Unfortunately, I cannot say it was my first. It definitely sealed the deal for me.

Ill toss you Gurkha Regent, also one of my other favs, and you can get fantastic deals on them here.
  • Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    I started with H. Upmann. Not an outstanding smoke but those who had more experience talked me through it. It wasn't long before I was able to tell them enough for them to get me on to one that I really liked. I think a medium bodied smoke like that would be a good way to start. Nothing to complex as a newbie will miss the complexity anyway. Then see what they can tell you about the smoke.
  • Options
    gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    Ashton classic or Ashton aged maduro. I loved those when I first started. CAO gold or gold maduro are nice mild flavorfull cigars as well. I used to love those when I was scared of pepper and spice.