Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Watcha reading

Comments

• Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    I'm currently working through the collected works of H.P. Lovecraft.
    Also Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes

Makes for some good reading.

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you like non-fiction, a couple good ones that I've read recently are:
    The Beijing Consensus: How China's Authoritarian Model Will Dominate the Twenty-First Century by Stefan Halper
    The End of Country: Dispatches from the Frack Zone by Seamus McGraw
    Punching Out: One Year in a Closing Auto Plant by Paul Clemens

And most recently, I finished reading Coal River by Michael Shnayerson. It details the struggle between long-time residents of the Coal River valley and their fight to keep "king coal" and mountaintop mining from destroying the mountains and valleys they love.

And just last night I started There Is No Freedom Without Bread!: 1989 and the Civil War That Brought Down Communism by Constantine Pleshakov - I'm only through chapter 1, but so far so good.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:

I just finished up anthologies on Doyle and Lovecraft. I think Lovecraft was, and still is, rather underrated. It's kinda wild reading his stories, only to realize you just watched a sci-fi/horror movie based on that story. I'm sitting on the front porch with a Cain Daytona #4 and a copy of Anthem by Ayn Rand.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Toombes:
    stephen_hannibal:

I just finished up anthologies on Doyle and Lovecraft. I think Lovecraft was, and still is, rather underrated. It's kinda wild reading his stories, only to realize you just watched a sci-fi/horror movie based on that story. I'm sitting on the front porch with a Cain Daytona #4 and a copy of Anthem by Ayn Rand.
    Would love to work my way through some Lovecraft, just just CANNOT hang with the man's style of writing. Have tried a few different times over the years and it just doesnt work for me, which bums me out because I love that genre and Ive never heard anything except glowing words about Lovecraft's stuff.

• Options
    BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    Just finished The Innocent by David Baldacci and now working on another one of his Zero Day. Also just finished Kill Shot by Vince Flynn.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bombay:
    Just finished The Innocent by David Baldacci and now working on another one of his Zero Day. Also just finished Kill Shot by Vince Flynn.
    Bombay has impeccable taste in authors. Some of my favorites. I am reading all of Brad Thors books which you would love as well.
  • Options
    taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    Im working on the Spinward Fringe series by Randolph Lalonde, I recommend the series to anyone who likes Firefly/Serenity.
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    The next 100 Years - A Forecast for the 21st Century by George friedman
  • Options
    77 shadow street. The latest dean koontz novel
  • Options
    ImgemboImgembo Posts: 661 ✭✭
    rzaman:
    This sounds intresting
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imgembo:
    rzaman:
    This sounds intresting
    +1. He's on my list of authors that I want to read.
    Have you read his "America's Secret War: Inside the Hidden Worldwide Struggle Between the United States and Its Enemies"? ... that might be my next book.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Dune.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    jsnake:
    Bombay:
    Bombay has impeccable taste in authors. Some of my favorites. I am reading all of Brad Thors books which you would love as well.

Why thank you Jsnake! Have read all of Thors novels, other authors in the same genre that i like are Ted Bell (not his animation series) , and W.E.B. Griffin but only his presidential agent series. I was also just given the book Team of Rivals, anyone else read it?
  • Options
    Yes I have. I like George Friedman and I gobble all his books and research paper. I also met him once. His analysis are not always based on logic but hey the world he talks about is not all about logic. The world has a secret side and that is the real world. George is one of the prominent risk analyst for many global corporations. He also train many intel organizations. That is how he collects so much information for his research and analysis. If you are interested about this kind of issue then let me know. I can recommend some fine books for you. You also need to be careful because not all books are based on solid facts.
    jgibv:
    Imgembo:
    rzaman:
    This sounds intresting
    +1. He's on my list of authors that I want to read.
    Have you read his "America's Secret War: Inside the Hidden Worldwide Struggle Between the United States and Its Enemies"? ... that might be my next book.
  • Options
    Natural Harvest
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    King Solomon's Mines
    Thanks for reminding me of this novel, Rip!
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    I'm working on The Complete Works by Mark Twain. As always it lifts my spirits to read American Classics.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    RBeckom:
    I'm working on The Complete Works by Mark Twain. As always it lifts my spirits to read American Classics.
    Check out Moby D!ck when you have a chance, if you haven't already. I'm almost finished with it, and it's quite good. Much more cerebral than I expected.
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Russ55:
    RBeckom:
    Check out Moby D!ck when you have a chance, if you haven't already. I'm almost finished with it, and it's quite good. Much more cerebral than I expected.

One of my favorites.
  • Options
    OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    The Disciplines of Grace by Jerry Bridges
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    The Five Dysfunctions of a Team-Required reading for work. Yeah I know, there are plenty of other things I would rather be reading
  • Options
    The "A Song of Fire and Ice" series by George R.R. Martin. Got hooked on the HBO TV series, which is amazing.

The books are even BETTER. :-)

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    The Sniper:
    The "A Song of Fire and Ice" series by George R.R. Martin. Got hooked on the HBO TV series, which is amazing.

The one thing I definitely liked about the series over the books was all the naked ladies. Big Smile [:D]. Really enjoyed the series, well what is available so far, and can't wait for more. On the subject of fantasy/adventure type novels, started reading Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson...if the name is not familiar, he's the one concluding Robert Jordan's epic Wheel of Time series.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    The Sniper:

The one thing I definitely liked about the series over the books was all the naked ladies. Big Smile [:D]. Really enjoyed the series, well what is available so far, and can't wait for more. On the subject of fantasy/adventure type novels, started reading Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson...if the name is not familiar, he's the one concluding Robert Jordan's epic Wheel of Time series.
    If Sanderson doesnt hurry up and get that final WoT book to the publisher, Im gonna plant his sorry azz right next to Robert Jordan (RIP), I'm friggin dyin over here!!!

• Options
    By the way Joe, how is Mistborn so far? Been curious about that since he took up the WoT series.

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    The Sniper:
    By the way Joe, how is Mistborn so far? Been curious about that since he took up the WoT series.

I'm about 50 pages into the first book, so a little early to make a determinations. So far, there's nothing that I don't like. Don't know if that's at all helpful.
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk (Thanks Joe)
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Priest, a korean manga; there was a movie called Priest a yr or so ago, so I got interested in the manga - much darker and much better than the movie, totally different plot too. Currently the artist has been on hiatus for a few yrs after doing 16 volumes, so its not complete yet, but it's still a great story
  • Options
    T.J. ArmstrongT.J. Armstrong Posts: 256
    Bombay:

+1 to Kill Shot. I have read all of Vince Flynn's books and they are all awesome. The counter terrorism genre is an awesome read. Another author similar to him that amazon recommended to me was Brad Thor. Very similar. I started his and ended up reading all 10 or so books too. Reading second book by Lee Childs now. Similar style, a little slower pace, but it will hold me over until one of the other two guys releases another new book. Check them out and pm me if you can the ebook formats. I have almost all of them on there. I can convert the formats to match your e-reader...
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    The Sniper:

I'm about 50 pages into the first book, so a little early to make a determinations. So far, there's nothing that I don't like. Don't know if that's at all helpful.
    Well, at least it wasnt a "Its garbage, dont bother". Keep me posted if you think about it.