Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Help with a Cuban

LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
I have ordered my fair share of Cubans on the internet, and I've heard to old adage that "Taste is Everything" in spotting a fake, but this Cuban has been resting for quite some time and I don't necessarily want to taste it just yet so I was wondering if I can post a pic and see if you guys can help me identify if it's a fake or not?

If it is fake then please let me know why, is the band not seated correctly, does it look to spongy or does it not have the "Triple-Cap" just don't scream out FAKE and not back it up

Thanks Guys and let me know if you think it's okay to post this Cuban on the the forums or not?

Comments

• Options
    I know the "Cap" is a little crooked, but I've heard that the Cubans aren't known for 100% quality control. it looks good in the fact that i don't see any veins, but you guys be the judge:

Photobucket
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Lasabar:
    I know the "Cap" is a little crooked, but I've heard that the Cubans aren't known for 100% quality control. it looks good in the fact that i don't see any veins, but you guys be the judge:

Photobucket
    Well besides the cap being a little off like you mentioned. It appears that there are a few wrinkles in the wrapper just below the cap, and is that a beattle hole I see just below that bump in the wrapper that looks like a nose?
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the best way to tell really is how its bunched.
    you better clip it and look inside.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    just fire it up and set it on fire.
  • Options
    wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    I know this is kinda taboo...but where did you order this cuban from?
  • Options
    wwestern:
    LMAO... looks like one of those cheap imitation online fake Cubans does it Western?
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Lassy, why are you ordering Cubans, it's illegal? You got some 'splainin to do.
  • Options
    wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    wwestern:
    LMAO... looks like one of those cheap imitation online fake Cubans does it Western?
    Yeah you can tell they tried real hard to get the band straight but failed.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Lassy, ju got some 'splaining to do!
  • Options
    JonathanEJonathanE Posts: 401
    I don't have a lot of experience with Cubans but I have not seen one yet that was rolled right. Every single one has been of second rate construction.

JDE

• Options
    JonathanE:
    I don't have a lot of experience with Cubans but I have not seen one yet that was rolled right. Every single one has been of second rate construction.

JDE

If you have smoked Cuban cigars with construction problems then you have probably been smoking counterfeits. The Montecristo #4's have some more construction problems then other Cubans because they are in such high demand that they now roll them at 3 or 4 different factories to keep up with demand. This has resulted in some rolling issue's. A true Cuban cigar will NOT have construction issues.
  • Options
    Doug, that's BS. Any cigar can have construction issues, Cubans included...all it takes is an inexperienced roller or buncher.
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    If this one is still around I would say it has aged VERY well.
  • Options
    laker1963:
    JonathanE:

JDE

If you have smoked Cuban cigars with construction problems then you have probably been smoking counterfeits. The Montecristo #4's have some more construction problems then other Cubans because they are in such high demand that they now roll them at 3 or 4 different factories to keep up with demand. This has resulted in some rolling issue's. A true Cuban cigar will NOT have construction issues.
    I guess there's no certainty that I haven't been smoking fakes but I am personally satisfied by what I saw that my source was legit. It was an upscale sort of shop in a $10M mall in a rich country (Qatar). Those two things are not convincing by themselves but an inspection of the shop's products and their willingness to let me examine the seals on the boxes are both comforting.

The ones I have smoked so far have all looked great by external examination, it's when I smoked them that they showed their flaws. They were rolled too tight or bunched incorrectly, etc. As for the tobacco itself it was clearly high quality material.

As for the Montecristo #4s, there is never any excuse for lame workmanship, especially for a touted product by a famous manufacturer. The standards do not shift.

JDE

• Options
    To be more specific about the construction flaws I've seen, the one across the board issue is that for the first third or half of the cigar, the wrapper has not burned together with the filler properly. Half way in, for some reason, the pair start to get their act together and the smoke is great after that.

JDE

• Options
    JonathanE:
    laker1963:
    JonathanE:

JDE

I guess there's no certainty that I haven't been smoking fakes but I am personally satisfied by what I saw that my source was legit. It was an upscale sort of shop in a $10M mall in a rich country (Qatar). Those two things are not convincing by themselves but an inspection of the shop's products and their willingness to let me examine the seals on the boxes are both comforting.

The ones I have smoked so far have all looked great by external examination, it's when I smoked them that they showed their flaws. They were rolled too tight or bunched incorrectly, etc. As for the tobacco itself it was clearly high quality material.

As for the Montecristo #4s, there is never any excuse for lame workmanship, especially for a touted product by a famous manufacturer. The standards do not shift.

JDE

Unfortunately... It's Cuba... I wish I had a LOT more disposable income for if the Embargo gets lifted I fear that the influx of Cuban Cigars would not only drive the price SKY HIGH, but the quality would deteriorate as well.
    I wish I could be all the Cubans I want NOW so that I don't have to have a bunch of AHoles running around with a $60 Cohiba Siglo I saying how great it is, meanwhile I want to buy a Siglo VI at over a hundred! *Shudders*
    Hopefully that won't happen, but it's Cuba... The don't care about what they are outputting to a certain degree, just pay us
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    Doug, that's BS. Any cigar can have construction issues, Cubans included...all it takes is an inexperienced roller or buncher.
    Sorry I took so long here, I was away from the computer yesterday. Joe I never meant a Cuban cigar couldn't have construction issues. I was referring to the comment made..." I don't have a lot of experience with Cubans but I have not seen one yet that was rolled right. Every single one has been of second rate construction".

I also commented on the problems which have been experienced with the Montecristo #4's, as well I have mentioned here many times about the reports that up to 80% of the Cuban sticks sold legally in Canada are fakes.

As far as inexperienced rollers and bunchers sure they can screw a cigar up... doesn't mean you, me or anyone else will ever be smoking it.
  • Options
    laker1963:
    j0z3r:
    Sorry I took so long here, I was away from the computer yesterday. Joe I never meant a Cuban cigar couldn't have construction issues. I was referring to the comment made..." I don't have a lot of experience with Cubans but I have not seen one yet that was rolled right. Every single one has been of second rate construction".

I also commented on the problems which have been experienced with the Montecristo #4's, as well I have mentioned here many times about the reports that up to 80% of the Cuban sticks sold legally in Canada are fakes.

As far as inexperienced rollers and bunchers sure they can screw a cigar up... doesn't mean you, me or anyone else will ever be smoking it.
    Fair enough. Maybe I misunderstood your intention with that post, and when you put it all together I see what you were getting at. On the whole, I've experienced good construction with the occasional dud, but that has amounted to less than 5%.