Home Cigar 101
Options

Diesel Shorty - minimum rest time?

KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
I've never had a Diesel
Getting a few Shortys soon
Don't want to smoke them rott
can't wait to try them though.....so.....
how long in my humi before I fire the first one up?
thanks

Comments

• Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    rott... lol
    The shorty is a great cigar at any time.

• Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    rott... lol
    The shorty is a great cigar at any time.

+1
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I've never smoked a Shorty with any real rest or time on it, but the UHC gets significantly smoother after 6-8 months.
  • Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    docbp87:
    I've never smoked a Shorty with any real rest or time on it, but the UHC gets significantly smoother after 6-8 months.
    Totally agree here on the UHCs. They really get amazingly smooth after a bit of time.

On a side note kingofthecove, if your getting a few of something, why not try one off the truck if you want to? that way you can see what changes with rest and what doesn't. Also I've found that if I don't like a cigar ROTT, 6-8 months of rest won't change that and all it does is get frustrating when I finally realize that I've been wasting storage space on cigars you don't care for. Might as well find out right away IMO and if you don't care for it, then try to trade for something you do like.
  • Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    double post
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    I guess Im going to be the voice of dissent here - I noticed a marked improvement in the Shorty relating to how long I rested it. Smoked one after about a month in the humi - couldnt stand it! Ammonia-ey, burn issue after burn issue... damned things were so bad I got rid of the rest of the ten pack by giving it away to a fellow BOTL here on the forums.

Or so I thought - was rummaging thru teh humidors a few months later, and what do I find buried at the bottom but a Diesel Shorty? Almost tossed it out of hand, then thought what the he11 and sparked it up - what a difference! The ammonia was now chocolately goodness, and the burn was straight as an arrow.

Something to take into consideration also is that I bought those Shorty's RIGHT when they first came out, which may explain the ammonia and burn issues. Still, my advice is this is just like the UHC's - the longer you age em, the better they are!

• Options
    JonathanEJonathanE Posts: 401
    I'm with Sniper on this one. I reviewed a ROTT Diesel Unlimited d.5 and... well, you can read for yourself what I thought of it. Diesel Unlimited d.5 Review There's a great discussion in there with a few BOTLs where they discuss the merits of aging Diesels and what you can expect if you do. I have since acquired another Diesel which I have resting in wait for a second go round.

JDE

• Options
    kevin1323kevin1323 Posts: 294
    The few Shortys I have had only had a month or two in the humi and were great. I can't say the same for the UHC and the Unlimited. I didn't care for either. The UHC knocked me on my ass for some reason. I even had it after a big meal.
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I can honestly say I haven't had a Diesel yet that I didn't like.
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    I guess Im going to be the voice of dissent here - I noticed a marked improvement in the Shorty relating to how long I rested it. Smoked one after about a month in the humi - couldnt stand it! Ammonia-ey, burn issue after burn issue... damned things were so bad I got rid of the rest of the ten pack by giving it away to a fellow BOTL here on the forums.

Or so I thought - was rummaging thru teh humidors a few months later, and what do I find buried at the bottom but a Diesel Shorty? Almost tossed it out of hand, then thought what the he11 and sparked it up - what a difference! The ammonia was now chocolately goodness, and the burn was straight as an arrow.

Something to take into consideration also is that I bought those Shorty's RIGHT when they first came out, which may explain the ammonia and burn issues. Still, my advice is this is just like the UHC's - the longer you age em, the better they are!

same with the ladc mi amors let em rest , i let most mine rest at least 2 weeks before even trying like this la gloria serie r with 4 weeks and is not bad