Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Punch, Royal Coronation ISOM Review

A Punch Brand Label
A Punch Brand Label In order to know the Punch cigar, you must first know Mr. Punch. Mr. Punch is a puppet with a hooked nose, protruding chin, a large stick and a flare for anarchy. Expect a beating anytime you’re around this surly character!

A Modern
Mr. Punch! I suppose you could say that the history of the Punch cigar began with Mr. Punch because he is the namesake of the brand. Mr. Punch’s origins are not entirely known but he made his first appearance in England in a performance by the Italian puppeteer Pietro Gimonde in London on May 9th, 1662. “Signor Bologna,” as he was called, must have delivered a great showing because the “Punch and Judy” show became a British favorite reaching the height of its popularity by the mid-1800s under the skillful profession of puppeteer, Martin Powell.

The cigar brand was introduced in 1840 by a German named Stockmann and became an instant success. Although the brand originated in Europe, the ups and downs of the market, ownership changes, etc. all worked together to eventually see the brand move to Cuba. Punch was first sold to Manuel Lopez Fernandez in 1884 who then gave ownership of the brand to Esperanza Valle Comas when he retired in 1924. Then, in 1930, the firm of Fernandez, Palicio y Cia bought the brand from Comas.

I hope that “Fernandez, Palicio y Cia” has a familiar ring to it because if it does then you must have read my review on the Hoyo De Monterrey! HdM, Punch, Belinda and La Escepcion were all owned, at the time, by the same firm: Fernandez, Palicio y Cia. After the nationalization of the Cuban tobacco industry in 1960, however, all four brands were carried stateside by Fernando Palicio who had become the sole proprietor of the business by that time. Upon his arrival to the U.S. Palicio sold his lineup to the Villazon family who reestablished the brands out of Tampa, Florida using Honduran tobacco for marketing in the U.S.

Punch, Royal Coronation Cigar Nowadays, General Cigar Company maintains possession of Punch’s rightful ownership despite the Cuban cigar industry, in care of Habanos SA, marketing a lineup under the same name. There is tension but there is also static equilibrium.

Punch, Royal Coronation Cigar
I chose to smoke the “Royal Coronation” as my Punch, introductory cigar. The Royal Coronation is a 5.5 inch, 42 ring gauge stick that burned for right at 55 minutes and I enjoyed every second of it. The flavor had a complexity to it but was simple at the same time with sweetness and cedar being present from start to finish. The boquet was nothing but pleasant and rich. My only complaints were with the draw and the cap. The cap cracked through when I clipped the cigar and the draw was too tight but did improve with time. I scored it an 83.

I have now reviewed four ISOMs and, if you forgive them for being foolishly overpriced, then Cuba’s record improves to 50%, 2/4.

JDE

Comments

• Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    1. Think you got your titles mixed up ;)
    2. Punch has never worked for me. Just never had a good experience.
    3. As for "foolishly overpriced", it all depends where you buy them. If you buy them from a location that doesn't have ridiculous taxes (ie. don't buy CCs from Canada!), then they aren't priced any higher than any non-Cuban smokes. For instance at the box price, a Partagas Serie D. No. 4 works out to like $6.50 a stick, which is no more than most Nicaraguan or Dominican cigars on the market. Obviously a Cohiba Esplendido is going to be more expensive, but the market there is more on par with high end Padron, or Fuente products.
  • Options
    JonathanEJonathanE Posts: 401
    No, that wasn't the wrong title, that was a preview for my next review. I did that on purpose! {;-)

Sounds like Canada has nothing on Qatar when it comes to overpricing. I paid $10.73 (3.54 Riyal/U.S. $) for this particular cigar. I also paid $14.69 for the Hoyo De Monterrey, Epicure Especial, $21.19 for the Cohiba, Siglo IV and $23.16 for the H. Upmann, Monarch that I will be reviewing tomorrow.

Are these prices all a good deal higher than Canada or is it just the Punch that's high? I'm curious...

Thanks for the catch on the title!

JDE

• Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Canada has high prices on cigars due to taxes, but a lot of us get our ISOMs from places that are in Duty Free zones. 21.00 USD is about right for a Cohiba Esplendido. I'm not sure what Cohiba you have. Epicures look to be about 8.50-9.00/stick. I know prices at shops in Qatar are HIGH. I have a friend who was absolutely horrified when he went over there recently (though I think he was in Dubai, where things are generally overpriced)