Home General Discussion
Options

JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
Hello my names Justin. I posted in the newbie thread. But wanted to start my own thread. Sorry if that's no recommended. New to cigars (less then 2 months) so I been trying any cigars I could. But as most newbies do I made the mistake of only buying a 50CT humidor and little over a month later. Its more then half full. Lol. So another bigger humidor is on my list. But I wanted to ask. What cigars do u recommend a newbie try? There are so many out there. Its hard to know where to start. So far I have tried a few of the cigar.com house blends. Oliva g. Af short story. A couple tats. I started with the drew estates infused cigars but didn't like them too much. I have been reading and reading on this forum and others too. Any help or suggestions or whatever are greatly appreciated. And hope to be more active on the forums. Justin

Comments

• Options
    dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Justin! Welcome to the forum.

I'd stick to the mild to medium bodied sticks at first, then as your tolerance grows, you can move towards the heavier bodied cigars. You mentioned having tried a few of the C.com house blends, I'd suggest buying the house blend sampler...most of their blends are excellent and it'll provide a great starting point toward learning about the different wrapper choices. As you smoke, take notes on what characteristics you like and dislike about each cigar. Continue to read the new and old forum entries...there's a goldmine of knowledge in the threads here. If you can't find your answer in the old threads, ask questions...someone here on the forum will have an answer for you. You'll quickly find that the brothers here on the forum are always eager to help.

Buy a digital hygrometer for your humidor. The analog (dial type) one that comes in most humidors is inaccurate and undependable.

Here's a couple of threads that I thought would help answer some of your questions:

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/140472.aspx

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/11121.aspx

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • Options
    dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In addition to the C.com House Blends sampler, I'd also suggest the "Experts Picks" for this month. All five picks are mild to medium bodied sticks with tons of flavors. Buy the 10 or 15 cigar sampler so you get a better deal, and so you can smoke one now and have another a little later after your palate developes.

http://www.cigar.com/cigars/Expert_Picks.asp

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • Options
    smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forums man. Looks like D has already gave you some useful feedback. Bunch of great guys on here, enjoy.
  • Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forums man! Hope ya stick around.
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Justin, off to a good start. Try the best of 2010 samplers or just give ccom a call, they will set you right up with a sampler. Cigar of the month club worth looking into also.
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Welcome to the forums!
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Start smoking. Just reach in and grab one. Have 2 - 3 a day. You'll figure out what you like. And believe me when I say that everyone has a different flavor profile, and the price of a cigar does not always reflect the quality. Call the number on the web site. Ask for Tim Blythe and tell him you are learning and that you know me. LOL He'll fix you up. Of course Ccom has their own labels with the full range of flavors. And the're cheap. Good luck
  • Options
    grannejagranneja Posts: 382
    Welcome Justin, the folks here are great and they all are happy to take any questions. The ccom blends are pretty good, I branched off on a few smokes after tasting the wrapper types on the ccom blends. Red label , crojo, brazilian and sungrown are some of their best.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    A month to fill up HALF a 50ct humidor??? Slacker! LOL Thats OK, you will pick up the pace nicely as you get further into the hobby. WELCOME TO THE FORUMS! Here are a few suggestions...

- as others have already said, pick up a house blends sampler from CCom. That will cover most of the bases no matter what you're talking (wrapper, country of origin, different bodies, etc). Great economical way to start figuring out what agrees with you and what doesnt.

- dont know what the pocketbook looks like, but I would also suggest thinking about joining the Cigar of the Month club here at CCom. They kick you 5 different sticks a month. I dont know how often you smoke, but if its once a week you will have one different stick to try each week, plus one for a special occasion every month. This will also help you figure out the stuff that the CCom sampler will, and additionally help you figure out what different sizes you tend to like, and which blenders tend to make stuff that agrees with you. Which brings me to a couple suggestions that really helped me when I was starting out.

- when you smoke, try to do nothing BUT smoke. That way you can concentrate on the experience, and not miss something because your attention was divided. Also, other things can influence you (ie: fighting with the wife while smoking a 5 Vegas Gold = 5 Vegas Gold is CRAP!).

- TAKE NOTES! This will help you notice patterns in what you're enjoying, whether it be a size, blender, wrapper, etc.

CLICK ON THIS LINK AND READ IT ALL. A great list that everyone should read when they come to the hobby, and will save you several "OH ****!" moments.