Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Cuban MonteCristo Corona Grande Tubos

Hello Everyone,

I just got my hands on this "forbidden fruit" specialty smoke. Before I smoke it I was wondering if anyone has tried one and how they compare to their non-cuban counterparts that we regularly purchase from this lovely establishment called ccom. I am half tempted to buy a single and smoke them at the same time to compare the differences.

Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    The differences will be numerous, the similarities few...they share little in common besides a name. As for what to expect...who can say? Light it up, don't expect gold because it is Cuban and take it for what it is. Hopefully you enjoy it.
  • Options
    I am planning on lighting it up sooner rather then later and I will post a review.

Some people say that Cubans taste better with age; but I don't think I am going to wait for this particular smoke. I am expecting that since Cubans are all puros and that this is a lighter wrapper without a ton of harsh flavors that need to "mellow"; there really isn't much reason to age this cigar. Does anyone disagree with that logic?
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    newbiesmoker24:
    I am planning on lighting it up sooner rather then later and I will post a review.

Some people say that Cubans taste better with age; but I don't think I am going to wait for this particular smoke. I am expecting that since Cubans are all puros and that this is a lighter wrapper without a ton of harsh flavors that need to "mellow"; there really isn't much reason to age this cigar. Does anyone disagree with that logic?
    I wouldn't take stock in "Wrapper Color" as the gauge of flavors or harshness... BUT I would take stock in the fact that Cubans are in such a high demand that most cigars in regular production are made right as the tobacco becomes ready... That being said there are NON-Cuban Cigar blenders and manufacturers that are SITTING on barns and barns of tobacco that is 5-10-20 years old and waiting for it to be JUST right.

Cuban cigars unless an Edicion Limitada usually is young tobacco that is very smoke-able right away, but many say (and it's arguable) that a Cuban hits it "Stride" anywhere from 5-8 years from date of manufacturer.

Am I stockpiling Cubans to age them for 5 years? Most likely not, my budget won't accommodate that. But I'm with ya, if it's your first Cuban, Smoke that Sumbitch and see if you like it... If you get ammonia and harshness it may just be a young cigar, but the Monte's I've smoked weren't very old and were delicious!
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    And it really depends on when the cigar was made. Over the past several years, Cuba has made strides in producing cigars that will smoke better at a younger age. Take a gamble, it may just pay off...but if it's no good, chalk it up to a bum stick and keep an open mind as Cuba really does produce some fine cigars...despite what NC retailers will tell you.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I had a conversation with Svenson about this not too long ago. The reason most people say to age cubans is that the tobacco is not aged before its rolled.

Alex took this a step further saying that bc of the lack of money and resources, etc Cuban tobacco is not really fermented correctly at all, like it is every where else. It is pretty much rushed straight from the fields to your hands. That would make sense when so many of us notice that cuban cigars taste "young" . Most cigars from other places consist of tobaccos that are aged extensively before being rolled into said cigar, many times for years.
  • Options
    JonathanEJonathanE Posts: 401
    I'm really glad this topic came up because, as some of you may remember, I reviewed this exact cigar on the forums here not too long ago. I have been working my way through a batch of eight Cubans, as a matter of fact, and I have not been impressed with any of them.

If it's true that they tend to be very young cigars then that might explain why I can detect quality tobacco but, despite this fact, they still don't smoke well... Very interesting.

Here's the link to the review I did on this cigar.

JDE

• Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    madurofan:
    Cuban tobacco is not really fermented correctly at all, like it is every where else. It is pretty much rushed straight from the fields to your hands.
    Horsesh1t...I have a 150qt cooler that will say otherwise...I REGULARLY receive Cuban cigars that have anywhere from 1-6 years of age already on them before they nap...As for reviews, I'd suggest smoking 3 of the same cigar that have been napped sufficiently to be acclimated etc before passing judgement on ANY cigar...
  • Options
    Diamondog:
    madurofan:
    Cuban tobacco is not really fermented correctly at all, like it is every where else. It is pretty much rushed straight from the fields to your hands.
    Horsesh1t...I have a 150qt cooler that will say otherwise...I REGULARLY receive Cuban cigars that have anywhere from 1-6 years of age already on them before they nap...As for reviews, I'd suggest smoking 3 of the same cigar that have been napped sufficiently to be acclimated etc before passing judgement on ANY cigar...
    I agree that Cuban cigars still hit the market ready to smoke and taste very good, but I am also upset at the fact that the New ELs will most likely be very expensive and some of that is going to be due to it's rarity, but the cigar's claim to fame is that is has 2 year old tobacco in it before it is rolled

I have some RyJ DUKES 2009 that I just bought and it was nice that they have a box code of DIC 09 so they are almost 2 years old and the 09s have 2 year old tobacco in them

But then I see the Cohiba Gran Reserva with 5 year tobacco and the cigar is very RARE but also prohibitively expensive.
    I will go back to my previous statement that there are some cigars rolled today that have EXTREMELY Aged tobacco before it's rolled.

I'd love to buy aged cubans from the get go and not have them cost an arm and a leg... (Except for Cubans from 00-01 where they were notorious for being consistently PLUGGED.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Diamondog:
    madurofan:
    Just because they have 1-6 years of box age when you get them doesn't mean that the tobacco was aged, really at all, before being rolled and boxed. This is the big difference in the production process between Cuban and NC cigars. Don't get me wrong though... I love Cuban cigars, and think Cuban tobacco is some of the best in the world. j0z3r is right too, that Cuba has made some huge improvements in the last couple of years, and pretty much everything from 2008 on has been smoking wonderfully earlier than ever.
  • Options
    So then how long should tobacco typically age (before rolling and after rolling COMBINED) before it is "smokeable". And what happens chemically to the cigar during the aging that makes is more enjoyable to the palate? Maybe I should start a new thread for this....
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    newbiesmoker24:
    So then how long should tobacco typically age (before rolling and after rolling COMBINED) before it is "smokeable". And what happens chemically to the cigar during the aging that makes is more enjoyable to the palate? Maybe I should start a new thread for this....
    Its all at the discretion of the blender and what they are trying to achieve. ZThere are some good utube links that go through the cultivation, storage,fermentation, and rolling processes. I found it very informative...Take Care...
  • Options
    newbiesmoker24:
    It all depends on what the blender wants... Age breaks down ammonia and blends the oils together from each the wrapper, binder and filler... Some manufacturers wouldn't want much age for they want the taste to really grab your tongue and make it beg for mercy, some others try to put out as much aged stuff as they can for they want a smooth and balanced smoke...

Basically there is no right answer and if done right everything can be tasty!
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    6th post down will give you lots of info...LINK
  • Options
    JonathanEJonathanE Posts: 401
    Diamondog:
    Yes, great info. I highly recommend!

JDE

• Options
    JonathanE:
    Diamondog:
    Yes, great info. I highly recommend!

JDE

Yeah that is absolutely EXACTLY what I was looking for... that is excellent!!! Thanks Alex and Diamondog!!!