Home Cigar 101

Keeping the Temp down in a humidor

BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
Quick question....Wife likes the temp. in the house at 76 and my humidor usually runs one/two degrees cooler than that (Due to storage in my closet in a dark corner). Humidity at about 72%. I can control the humididty via Boveda packs no problem, but can't seem to drop the temp lower than 74/75. Any ideas?

Comments

• LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Easiest way I've seen is point a fan at it, as long as you have a good seal the moving air should bring it down a few more degrees

Or in DIRE times I've wrapped an ice pack in a towel and either put the pack on top of a smaller humi or IN a larger humi...
    WARNING: The ice will mess with Rh, the sudden temp drop will go crazy and if you put the ice-pack inside it will condensate and go crazy, but I overcompensated with a plethora of beads... (But this was only as a necessity, no A/C, No Basement on the second floor)
    Side note... 74-75 is not that bad... Keep your humidity at or below 70% and that temp doesn't really matter... I used Ice when my humi got to over 90!
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Wineador would solve your problem permanently
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    I agree that 75 isn't too bad. I would drop that humidity down but thats just me.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Bombay:
    Wife likes the temp. in the house at 76
    Two options as I see it:

1)Put your foot down and take control of your thermostat. side note: I once in a drunken moment of unclarity told my wife, "as long as I make more money in this house I'll do whatever the f*ck I want".
    2)trade the wife in on a newer model that likes more humidor friendly temps.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    madurofan:
    Bombay:
    Two options as I see it:

1)Put your foot down and take control of your thermostat. side note: I once in a drunken moment of unclarity told my wife, "as long as I make more money in this house I'll do whatever the f*ck I want".
    Or better yet, you could trade her in on a 3000ct tower humidor and a couple of Cigar Oasis humidification systems. WINNING! :-)

madurofan:
    Bombay:
    Two options as I see it:

OH! Or on a side note, you can just buy that $1500 Temp AND humidity controlled Humi that Cigar.com had awhile back... That way when she yells about that AWESOME humi, you can just smirk and say:
    "Baby... I was just following your directions, and I don't want to ruin my cigars or our relationship... Instead of Months and Months of the A/C running I have one BIG cost, but then no more for YEARS and YEARS! I LOVE YOU!
  • BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    Thanks guys. I think it is easier for me to drop the humidity then proceed on some of those other suggestions, a little less of a hassle and a lot less expensive. So if I did drop the humidity to say 65-69 should the 74/75 temp be good then? I know it is a bit of a personal choice, I just want to make sure I don't have problems with mold, beetles, etc, well at least safegaurd against it anyway.
    Bombay:
    Thanks guys. I think it is easier for me to drop the humidity then proceed on some of those other suggestions, a little less of a hassle and a lot less expensive. So if I did drop the humidity to say 65-69 should the 74/75 temp be good then? I know it is a bit of a personal choice, I just want to make sure I don't have problems with mold, beetles, etc, well at least safegaurd against it anyway.
    Mold (IMHO) is mostly about Moisture and beetles need BOTH to thrive... So you're good both ways...
    Also, I almost would never keep my Rh at 70%... I find you may get some more flavor out of a few sticks, but I'd rather be around 65-67% for the burn issues and flavors are wonderful at that point... In a I won the Lottery or make 2M a year job I would have a humidor set at 62 - 65- 68 - and 70 and spend my time smoke each cigar at the different levels and then keep them in the humi that tastes best!
  • gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    Lasabar:
    Easiest way I've seen is point a fan at it, as long as you have a good seal the moving air should bring it down a few more degrees

Or in DIRE times I've wrapped an ice pack in a towel and either put the pack on top of a smaller humi or IN a larger humi...
    WARNING: The ice will mess with Rh, the sudden temp drop will go crazy and if you put the ice-pack inside it will condensate and go crazy, but I overcompensated with a plethora of beads... (But this was only as a necessity, no A/C, No Basement on the second floor)

Ive used a similar but safer method. I place the humi inside a cooler then put the ice pack wrapped in a towel at the far other end of the cooler. I also throw a desicant pack in the cooler. Works like a charm. brings the temp down to normal without messin up the rh.

I learned the hard way about putting wrapped up ice packs directly on top of my humi. Condensation on good cigars is a nightmare to come home to.
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    The Sniper:
    madurofan:
    Bombay:
    Two options as I see it:

Or better yet, you could trade her in on a 3000ct tower humidor and a couple of Cigar Oasis humidification systems. WINNING! :-)

Ya, I keep the thermostat at 70 for the cigars. Sometimes it's a point of contention with the wife, but it's not usually a problem. I just make sure she has lots of blankets on hand.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    madurofan:
    Bombay:
    Two options as I see it:

It was about that time that things suddenly went very dark... LMAO

Now Maddy does whatever the F*ck he wants... in the gargage...LMAO