Home General Discussion

Finally found the mixer...........

KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
I was born in Germany in the mid 50s to German parents, and we immigrated to the USA in the late 50s.
When I was young during the 60s and 70s, we made many trips to Germany to visit family, etc. Sometimes I'd spend the summer there.
Most of you know about German beer, some of the best in the world, and some of the micro-breweries in Bavaria where I'm from brew some good stuff, much of it pretty high alcohol, 10% to 12%, and even higher around Octoberfest.

It's hard to drink a lot of this stuff without getting hammered. So on hot days when working in the yard, or riding bikes, or maybe enjoing a cigar??......what many Germans would do is drink a "Radlermass" (google it if you've never heard of it.)

In those days it was not at all uncommon for Germans to let kids drink a radlermass, and I had plenty as a boy and teenager.

Well for years I've tried to re-create that same drink here in the States with limited success. I've tried almost all of the "lemon/lime" related sodas...... 7-Up, Sprite, Squirt, various ginger ales, etc.,................never quite right.

Well, today (finally) I found the closest thing, it's called Sanpellegrino Limonata, available here at Costco. Be sure you use the lemon one and NOT the orange one.

Also, it helps to use a "clear" brew - a pale lager or pilsner. It doesn't work that well with darker ales, porters, stouts, etc. I usually use Coors or Coors lite (which is basically a soft drink to begin with!).

I paired it this afternoon with my first CAO MX - absolutely delicious.
The ratio I used was 12 ounces beer to 8 ounces Limonata - and it was damn near perfect. Try it on a hot day, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Comments

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    By any chance, did you have a look at limoncello? It's an Italian beverage that can be made at home using lemon zest and vodka. You can google it for a recipe if you're interested.

I've bought it at Raley's and I'm sure it's available in a lot of places.

• skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    By any chance, did you have a look at limoncello? It's an Italian beverage that can be made at home using lemon zest and vodka.

My brother in law makes it with grain alcohol. It's fantastic.