Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Negril Jamaica

LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
I'm looking to book an all inclusive to Negril next year.
I've not done much traveling out of country in my life (1st time was last year to the Dominican)
I'm just looking for some advice on a few things:
1. When to go (our window would be from FEB-AUG next year)
2. Where to stay?
3. Any other little quibbles that would make the trip great!

I want a nice place, all inclusive, swim up bar and preferable no kids.

Any world travelers out there that can help a brotha out?

Comments

• Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    as seen on springer,lol, http://www.hedonismresorts.com/
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    jj20030:
    as seen on springer,lol, http://www.hedonismresorts.com/
    LOL Is this for real.. I wonder what kind of postcards they sell at the gift shop...
  • Options
    wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    The more off season it is the cheaper. I think sands has an all inc. adult only in Negril. Try to avoid the locals lol
  • Options
    Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    September is a great time to go..perfect weather.........Any all inclusive resort is cool...my parents go eery year...and yes, they go to the hedo resorts. lol. All inclusive resorts that let you drink local booze and eat all you want food is the best place. If you get a cab to go anywhere in the island dont bring a lot of cash. My parents every year does something cool and they bring a extra suit case in which they fill up with paper, crayons, markers, pencils, etc...and they take to the poor side of the village and they pass to the children...and then they have a empty suit case to bring back knick nacks. If you want bad ass carvings from wood, always stroll the beach near the capital...there is a guy there names wooden nick i believe and he does amazing work...my parents have about 9 of his carvings from elephants, to giraffs....all done by hand. Sandles i hear there is cool, but kind of a let down on customer service but just shop around and find out who likes what. Have fun.
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    I've been to the Grand Lido in Negril several years ago (I think it is called Breezes Grand Jamaica or something like that now). Not sure if it's what you're looking for - it is fairly quiet, no swim up pool bar but the rooms open up right onto the beach. You can grab a chair under a palm tree and the waitresses come by from the tiki bar and keep you 'hydrated'. But, once it starts getting hot, they stop coming by and you have to walk a few feet to the bar lol. It's all inclusive and really nice, but like I said it's quiet - perfect for a couple looking to have some fun but not be in the middle of a bunch of craziness. I actually came home with a little present that turned into our son 9 months later. We named him Lido Rasta Marley, of course.

Of note - we went there in 2005 in September I think. It could have changed since it was bought out by Breezes, but it was nice when we went.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    September is a great time to go..perfect weather.........Any all inclusive resort is cool...my parents go eery year...and yes, they go to the hedo resorts. lol. All inclusive resorts that let you drink local booze and eat all you want food is the best place. If you get a cab to go anywhere in the island dont bring a lot of cash. My parents every year does something cool and they bring a extra suit case in which they fill up with paper, crayons, markers, pencils, etc...and they take to the poor side of the village and they pass to the children...and then they have a empty suit case to bring back knick nacks. If you want bad ass carvings from wood, always stroll the beach near the capital...there is a guy there names wooden nick i believe and he does amazing work...my parents have about 9 of his carvings from elephants, to giraffs....all done by hand. Sandles i hear there is cool, but kind of a let down on customer service but just shop around and find out who likes what. Have fun.
    Thats a cool thing with the coloring supplies
  • Options
    Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    yeah i think so too. When I travel ill be doing the same thing. Other thing they would do which is cool is most of those kids have never seen themselves in a mirror cuz they are so poor...the house is literally 5ftx7 ft wide and sleeps 3 - 5 people...so my parents would take their digital camera with them, take pics...and show them to the kids and they were in aww...so one year they went back to the town, found a photo hut, and printed up the pics of the families they got pics of...like group photos, and brought the families a pic they can hang in their house of the family. My dad raised me good and thats just one example of what he does to help out. First time they went to belize they didnt bring any supplies and he felt horrible, so every year after that when they went to jamaica they always bring stuff to help out...and they are super humble and thank ful and they try and give my parents any food they have but my parents refuse every time. One lady was so grateful of her family photo she made my step mom a really cool necklace out of bright stones and twine......im not one for stuff like that,but its seriously a really pretty piece to wear. They have a contact at the hotels there too they stay in touch with.....hence my dad gets his cigars from....lol
  • Options
    t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    The wife and I were married at the Sandels in Negril. Very nice place, no kids, super friendly staff. We booked a suite with the butler service and everything but when we arrived they told us they were able to upgrade our room for free, and boy did they. The upgrade was to the highest end room they had. Butler, Jacuzzi tub, private pool with swim-up porch. It was awesome. The all-inclusive is the way to go. Ask for top shelf liquor till you can't stand, and all it costs is a tip to the bartender. (optional) The bus ride from the airport is long but I didn't find it as scary as some have portrayed it and Sandels has their own lounge in the airport so if you have to wait for a bus at least its with a drink in hand. BTW Don't forget to bring cash to tip the bus driver. I would like to tell you about Negril but we never left the resort (for a week). It was an excellent time.