Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Anyone smoke a pipe?

Comments

• Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    just found this and I'm in the "I wanna give it a try" mood... I'm thinkin about asking for a kind of starter set for Christmas... any input? I don't want it to be TOO expensive, but I don't want a corn cobb either...
  • Options
    wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    robbyras:
    just found this and I'm in the "I wanna give it a try" mood... I'm thinkin about asking for a kind of starter set for Christmas... any input? I don't want it to be TOO expensive, but I don't want a corn cobb either...
    I'll send you some stuff out soon Rob got a sampler of like 8 tobaccos and a pipe with pipe tool headed your way soon. Just get ya some pipe cleaners and you're off to the races.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    wwestern:
    robbyras:
    I'll send you some stuff out soon Rob got a sampler of like 8 tobaccos and a pipe with pipe tool headed your way soon. Just get ya some pipe cleaners and you're off to the races.
    Too Cool !!!!!
  • Options
    wwestern:
    robbyras:
    Wes, you can't be serious... That's really cool of you... I owe you some serious retaliation...
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    robbyras:
    wwestern:
    robbyras:
    Wes, you can't be serious... That's really cool of you... I owe you some serious retaliation...
    Dont we all???!!! ;O)
  • Options
    The Kid:
    robbyras:
    wwestern:
    robbyras:
    Dont we all???!!! ;O)
    seriously, Wes already hit me with 6 beauties last week...
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    robbyras:
    The Kid:
    robbyras:
    wwestern:
    robbyras:
    Dont we all???!!! ;O)
    seriously, Wes already hit me with 6 beauties last week...
    I'm still wanting to try a pipe too. If you decide to get one, let me know which one u buy Rob and how u like it.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    I suggest Baraccini for a beginner pipe I have 3 and they are my favorite. You can find good estate pipes on ebay.
  • Options
    what is an "estate" pipe? is that a brand or is it from someone's estate?
  • Options
    The ColonelThe Colonel Posts: 206
    Used from someone's estate. Some are very nice... others, ah, not so much.. I got a really nice Petersons from estate sale.
  • Options
    robbyras:
    Make sure you enjoy it before you get too invested! I'll send out your junk tomorrow buddy.
  • Options
    ah, gotcha... so how do you clean a up a used pipe... do you replace the tip? sorry for all the newb questions...
  • Options
    wwestern:
    robbyras:
    Make sure you enjoy it before you get too invested! I'll send out your junk tomorrow buddy.
    for sure... when I told my wife she laughed at me... "when did you turn 70?" but I let my haters be my motivators!
  • Options
    Well there is a thing called a pipe retort.. which attaches to the stem and uses vaporized alcohol to absorb previous smokes. And a reamer will clean up the bowl. Some pretty good stuff out there if you google pipe retort or cleaning an estate pipe.. I usually look for one with minor caking in the bowl and few if any teeth marks on the stem... lots of folks buy expensive pipes but then don't smoke them so good bargains are available.
  • Options
    Oh, and I am partial to a vanilla cavendish blend tobacco.. :-)
  • Options
    The Colonel:
    Well there is a thing called a pipe retort.. which attaches to the stem and uses vaporized alcohol to absorb previous smokes. And a reamer will clean up the bowl. Some pretty good stuff out there if you google pipe retort or cleaning an estate pipe.. I usually look for one with minor caking in the bowl and few if any teeth marks on the stem... lots of folks buy expensive pipes but then don't smoke them so good bargains are available.
    oh man... I'm gonna have a lot to learn...
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    robbyras:
    ah, gotcha... so how do you clean a up a used pipe... do you replace the tip? sorry for all the newb questions...
    There are a few really good videos on Youtube about how to clean, and freshen an estate pipe (salt method, etc). If you get an estate pipe from a tobacconist, it SHOULD (shame on them if not) be restored, cleaned, and ready to smoke already when you get it. Ebay, not so much. I have gotten some awesome vintage estate pipes on ebay for really great prices, so if you do find that you love smoking a pipe, then that can be a good way to go, but make sure that if you get an estate that hasnt already been cleaned up, that you want to undertake the project.

Also, if you find you love it, you will probably want to get a few pipes, as it is necessary to rest a pipe between sessions, so if you are going to smoke every day (which I personally tend to do during the winter), having 3 or 4 pipes is a must. Like cigars though, it is a slippery slope... so you may find your self in deep sooner than you expect :P

Hope you enjoy it dude
  • Options
    thanks for the info guys... I'm excited about this... and Wes is really awesome for hooking me up... so once I get through a few sessions and see where I'm at, I'll probably be back for more info...

one pipe that I found that I really like the look of is the Peterson Shannon... very cool looking...
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Can't go wrong with a Peterson!
  • Options
    docbp87:
    Can't go wrong with a Peterson!
    Ditto!!! But if you are bidding on ebay don't get carried away :-)
  • Options
    Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    robbyras:
    thanks for the info guys... I'm excited about this... and Wes is really awesome for hooking me up... so once I get through a few sessions and see where I'm at, I'll probably be back for more info...

one pipe that I found that I really like the look of is the Peterson Shannon... very cool looking...
    Rob if you have any questions feel free to ask me any questions via email. I sell cigars but tobacco is my passion and there isn't a form of it that I haven't tried. Well theres one but I won't go there.
  • Options
    Boxed it up Rob should be on the way monday.... was gonna throw in a stick to make you review but I think the aromatics might screw it up pretty bad lol
  • Options
    Andrew Dzikoski:
    robbyras:

Rob if you have any questions feel free to ask me any questions via email. I sell cigars but tobacco is my passion and there isn't a form of it that I haven't tried. Well theres one but I won't go there.
    Thanks Andy! I'm sure I'll have all kinds of questions when I get started... I appreciate the offer!

wwestern:
    Boxed it up Rob should be on the way monday.... was gonna throw in a stick to make you review but I think the aromatics might screw it up pretty bad lol
    Wes, you're awesome... I really can't say enough about you...
  • Options
    9405 5036 9930 0309 8274 82
  • Options
    It's about time to start breaking out the pipe sice the cold is here. Im primarily a cigar smoker but enjoy a pipe on occasion. Nice to see some other BORKs getting into it too.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now, here's a pipe for ya: http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/314903.aspx. The link is in the first post.
  • Options
    Wes crushed me...

2011-12-08_17-33-59_75

2011-12-08_17-34-06_701
  • Options
    jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    Thats awesome Rob! Wes...you have out done yourself again!! Nicely done!!
  • Options
    robbyras:
    Wes crushed me...

2011-12-08_17-33-59_75

2011-12-08_17-34-06_701
    Would this be considered a "pipe bomb"?
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    YES!!!!!!!!!!
    One God, One Truth