Home Trades, Passes and Bombs
Options

1st trade

RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well I just sent my first sticks in a trade. And man was I shocked by how much it cost to send 5 sticks. Maybe I got over zealous with the packaging but I wanted to make sure they got there in prome condition. What is the average charge. And how do you guys protect them in transit. I never thought to keepthe boxes and air pillows that they arrive in. Another lesson learned.

Comments

• Options
    t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    I almost always use USPS Priority Small boxes and ship with conformation. That runs $5.60. I still use priority to ship normal boxes and can easily ship 10-20 cigars for $6 or so.
  • Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Ship em usps proirity with DC. Small flat rate box is $5. If you use your own box, even with DC, its about $3-$4. Usually takes about 2-3 business days for delivery. Do not use UPS, they are slow!
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    zeebra:
    Ship em usps proirity with DC. Small flat rate box is $5. If you use your own box, even with DC, its about $3-$4. Usually takes about 2-3 business days for delivery. Do not use UPS, they are slow!
    ditto... it usually costs me 2.50 - 4.00ish with DC... 2 business days tops
  • Options
    RampMonkeyRampMonkey Posts: 1,808
    +1 whats listed above. $4-$5 tops with USPS and at your door step 2-3 days, if that. As for UPS, us them...if your feeling brave/lucky.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to know. I used UPS and it cost 15$. They had better arrive in primo shape or I'm going to be really ticked.
  • Options
    RampMonkeyRampMonkey Posts: 1,808
    You should be in good shape. Seems like some have had issues with UPS and some have not. Just comes down to what folks prefer. Most of the brothers here use USPS, fast, and easy on the wallet. Congrats on your 1st trade going out as well.
  • Options
    dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first thing I did before sending out trades was to visit my local post office and talked to someone to find out the best way to ship and what I needed. For 5-10 cigars it usually costs $5-$7 to ship...depending on where they're going.

With the items below, and a roll of bubblewrap, you can have everything ready when you get to the post office. You can go ahead and attach the Delivery Confirmation sticker to the top of the package, fill it out, and tear off the receipt so you can share the DC# with the person you're trading with.

Small Priority Mail Box (the one I use most):

Medium Priority Mail Box:

Delivery Confirmation Receipt:

Address Label:

I keep 5 or 6 of each box, labels, and a small stack of Delivery Confirmation Reciepts at the house so I'm prepared.

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • Options
    I had a box shipped to me from CCOM, then I forwarded it to a friend. I shipped it Priority Mail with DC, exactly as it was shipped to me (I didn't open the package when it arrived). It cost me like $11 to ship the box of 20 cigars. I was a little surprised. I assume CCOM and other vendors are able to get a significant discount because of the volume they ship, but it made me feel bad about getting free shipping on $20 orders!
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    Good to know. I used UPS and it cost 15$. They had better arrive in primo shape or I'm going to be really ticked.
    FVCK UPS... I hate them ! Wait I posted this in the wrong thread. Sorry guys.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Guys, no need to use priority mail - just use USPS first class - it's the same thing for half the price. The only difference is that you pay 75 cents for the DC. You can use the priority boxes if you wrap them up so it doesn't look like a priority box. Kind of like in jr. High wrapping a text book in a paper grocery bag.The only problem is that you can't do first class online - only in person at the P.O.