Home General Discussion
Options

What Went Wrong???

Hello, I'm new to cigars, I started smoking cigars while golfing and have enjoyed my limited experience so far.  I've had a few cigars that I have really enjoyed, some I've liked, and some that have turned me green (that must be why they call it a green oscuro).  I have found that the cigars I enjoy are sancho panza, rocky patel, ghurka lxIII platinum (i had to try one but they are wayyyyy out of my price range)  I don't like don pepin garcia JJ, 5 vegas miami, or cohiba.  I've decided so far my favorite is the rocky patel 1990 perfecto (factory seconds - hey i'm on a budget). 

Well, I decided to try the 1990 in a petite corona so I ordered a couple.  I went to a bar w/ a friend so we could smoke a cigar (i'm finding it a lot more difficult to smoke cigars in the winter) and I was all excited to have a rocky patel in my hand and the thing was a mess from the beginning.  Firstly, I didn't feel it smelled right - It didn't have the smell I expected, I don't have the proper vocabulary to share with you how it smelled but it didn't smell right.  When I started smoking it things were just as bad, it was difficult to draw, tasted horrific and still didn't smell good.  I have no idea what went wrong.  Do you sometimes just get bad cigars??  Sorry I couldn't be more descriptive, any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    where did you buy this cigar from? That is quite shocking for a Rocky Patel to have such problems if it was stored properly, I have had many RPs, and never had any of the problems you listed, but I also haven't smoked RP seconds either.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey yooper, first of all, welcome to the group.. I really like the Sanco Panza cigars.. I just discovered them this year thanks to the positive comments I read here. I also enjoy many of the Gurkas ( which can be gotten at greatly reduced prices ) through sampler packs right here. One of my favorite cigars is the Rocky Patel Vintage 1992, I like the robusto size. Try the 5 Vegas Classic ( Red label ) cigar, I believe that may offer a better experience with that line.
    I cant explain the funky Rocky 1990, but, it may just be a personal thing, some like them others don't. I'm not a huge fan of the green candella wrapper, but others find them pleasant. Keep trying different things and reading the reviews here. You will find many great new cigars to enjoy.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    You mentioned the green oscuro, was that the 601 brand? The impression I get from your post is that full bodied, strong cigars are not to your liking. And that would certainly explain you not liking the Don Pepin JJ or the 5 Vegas Miami, which is coincidentally, or perhaps not so much, blended by Don Pepin.

I cannot explain your experience except to say that you will run across a bad cigar from time to time, no quality control measures can eliminate all of them.

To better suit your tastes, I would recommend looking into the 5 Vegas Gold and Classic. Also the Oliva Serie G cameroon might be to your liking. In addition to that, I would also recommend trying the original Ashton line, though a bit more pricey, they are excellent mild-medium strength cigars.

Welcome to the forums, and good luck with your venture into the cigar world...it can be hit and miss more often than one would like, but when you find one you really like, all that melts away.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Welcome to the forum first. i also am really starting to enjoy the Sancho Panza brand. I have never had the Rocky seconds so i can't explain why these sucked. how long did you have them and how were they stored?
  • Options
    YooperYooper Posts: 3

I got it from here and it stayed in my little humidor until I smoked it 5 days later. 

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    hard draw and bad taste sounds a bit over humidified to me.

it could also be a "bad one"

i mean if they are seconds the chances of finding a not up to par stick goes up.
  • Options
    I agree with everyone that you will get a bad stick on occassion. If you like mild-med, try the Cusano 18 Double Conn. or the Nub Conn. Both are relatively cheap and good smokes. Also, Feunte 8-5-8 is tasty too.
  • Options
    YooperYooper Posts: 3

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

• Options
    wrobowrobo Posts: 9
    Yooper, If you got a bad cigar from Cigar.com, give them a call or talk to them via the live online chat service. These folks really take care of their customers and I am sure want to be sure all things are right with their customers. To make a long story short - one of the cigars from one of my orders was bad (wrapper issue and draw was bad). I talked to one of c.com's reps via the chat feature. They are replacing the defective cigar. C.com has very friendly customer service reps who do what they can to satisfy their customers.
  • Options
    jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    "I've decided so far my favorite is the rocky patel 1990" - man after my own heart! keep in mind, the flabor of a cigar can change dramaticaly when you change size, they shouldnt, but you had a real small one. ive never had any rp 90 that wasnt a churchhill. I find i dont like most small guage varieties of cigars, only exception I have found is the c10 corona, I cant decide if its better as a corona, or a robusto.