Home General Discussion
Options

Need some info re: cruising, please

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
Last time my child bride and I went on a cruise was before I became obsessed with cigars so I've got a question. If any of you have recent cruise experience, can you tell me about bringing my sticks with me as well as accessories like lighters, cutters, etc. All this TSA boolshit has me wondering if I'll get all of it aboard. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    zeebra:
    Man that F'n rocks zebra, thanks!!! I took a flight couple weeks ago and I put my guillotine cutter inside my 15 count herfador and I made it through security, This was in my carry on. I didnt take a lighter cause I know one cant carry those on. Its been a while since I flew and the security these days is pretty intense. I threw my worst cutter in just in case they wanted to take it away. I figure a cruise would be less intense
  • Options
    Goin through security on a crusie is pretty much like going through security on a plane...i take my sticks and xicar all the time....I leave the torch behind though....(although last time I flew, I accidentally left it in my jeans pocket, which was packed in my checked luggage, and it made it to the other side!) Just use some mathces or a regular bic on the cruise.... Heck, if you can pack vodka in water bottles and get it past cruise security, you will have no problems with your sticks or cutter!
  • Options
    zeebra:

Thanks, Zeebra, sounds like a blast but the timing won't work for me. Plus, I'm not a big fan of Carnival cruise lines.

• Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    When I go on a cruise, I carry the sticks with me in a travel humidor. I wouldn't recommend checking them with your baggage. I've tended to take matches in my pocket, and I put my cutter in with my sticks. Not the time to take expensive lighters or cutters, imho, but I've seen other guys with them on board, so they do allow them to some degree, but I'm not sure if they're sneaking them on or actually allowed. I would just call the cruise line and see what they say.

Also not a fan of Carnival cruises. They're meant for a different demographic than myself.
  • Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    zeebra:

Thanks, Zeebra, sounds like a blast but the timing won't work for me. Plus, I'm not a big fan of Carnival cruise lines.

One of my friends just told me about that cruise, and you posted...Lol.

But agree, one, I wouldnt spend that much on a carnival cruise! About $350 is what I would pay for those. Two, I've never been on Carnival either. I like Royal Carriabean cruise lines.
  • Options
    Right. My favorite line is Norwegian. We did the Alaska cruise a few years back, right after freestyle cruising got popular and loved it. Haven't tried Caribbean yet.

This time we're just doing a short 4-day Bahamas cruise 'cause we're short of time in Sept. Plan to check out Graycliff Hotel & Stogies while we're there.

• Options
    grannejagranneja Posts: 382
    Sounds like a cool cruise, but I would like to know how many "complimentary" cigars one gets...for the price they are looking for, I would much rather go back to the DomRep at an all inclusive. I have never been on a cruise before and it is the alcohol bill that would worry me. I have heard that it is rather expensive on a cruise. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    Yeah, if I were your age, Jesse, I'd probably feel the same way. Ya gotta remember, I'm an oldfart. Oldfarts don't usually drink enough to make the economic trade-off feasible. I'll drink less on the ship than at home, but I'm not what you'd call a heavy drinker in any case.

As for complimentary cigars, I doubt that'll happen. I plan to bring some of my own and will most likely buy a few from Graycliff.
  • Options
    grannejagranneja Posts: 382
    jlmarta:
    Yeah, if I were your age, Jesse, I'd probably feel the same way. Ya gotta remember, I'm an oldfart. Oldfarts don't usually drink enough to make the economic trade-off feasible. I'll drink less on the ship than at home, but I'm not what you'd call a heavy drinker in any case.

As for complimentary cigars, I doubt that'll happen. I plan to bring some of my own and will most likely buy a few from Graycliff.
    LOL Marty. You're only as old as you feel, but I can understand. I can't pound em down even like I could 5 years ago. As to your question regarding taking sticks with you, I know for sure that the import limit is 100 cigars (thats what it was when we came back from the DR). I took my cutter with me (cheap plastic), and put it into my checked baggage and it was not bothered. As for a lighter, I just used matches while I was down there. A buddy of mine however did bring a lighter by accident on his check in and it went through. I think the easiest way to go about it is checking the stuff.

Any way you go Marty, you will have a good time. From your bio that RP cruise would be right up your alley.