Home General Discussion
Options

Thmpsn doesn't get it (full name withheld)

So in the past I have ordered from Thmpsn cigars. But a while back they signed me up with a related company that started charging my credit card without sending me information on their products and services (which was supposed to happen before they started charging fees). I reversed the fees and complained to Thompson about my poor treatment from their business partner...twice. They never called back to addr my issue. However they call me this morning (again) with the old,"Oh we see you used to order from us and dont now so we'd like you back." Whatever. Done with those losers. If you can't be bothered to even make an attempt to address a customer issue then you don't deserve my business.

Comments

• Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    While I haven't ordered from them, I have read the serious negative reviews & thats kept me away. Look at any forum online, & there are multiple posts with hundreds of repeats, puff even has one with a multiple choice poll and the results are disturbing for the retailer.

Seriously its one of those things that makes me say "What the F...". Why would any company allow their name to get so trashed, over and over again, and still choose profits over making improvements. It doesn't even make sense as a profitable business model to me. The 'oh well we will lose some customers, employ awful customer service, & gain an awful reputation, but we'll make some money here & there.'
    Why would you even want to allow your company to become the most hated, most disrespected, most avoided retailer in the country? The name is thrown in the mud on every forum for good reason it appears. Until I hear reviews that they cleaned their act up, I say the Big T can go screw themselves, their mag goes straight in the garbage at my house. Aren't customers always number 1 in business???
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    A thread like this shows up at least once a year....

The thread got pulled but this sums it up.

Hays:
    I know this seriously isn't a plug for Thompsons...really? C'mon guys...I think we should make the "Thompson's Gurkha Black Dragon" thread a sticky...

And that quotes from like 09. The abuse has been going on for years.

• Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They suck!!! I started with them and after 3 months and still no cigars.I dumped them and gotmy money back. And that was no easy job, ine of the worst compay's to do busisness with of any kind.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They don't even get it when you're dealing with them in person. My wife and I visited their outlet store in Tampa near the airport and the young buck tending the store told me he didn't think I'd like a stick with a candela wrapper. This was before I had ever tried one - and this punk had absolutely no knowledge of my tastes, etc. He just didn't want to interrupt his conversation with his buddy long enough to wait on me.

• Options
    kaelariakaelaria Posts: 572
    They prey on newbies and there is a never ending supply. I would imagine they have the least repeat business of all retailers! lol
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    blurr:
    While I haven't ordered from them, I have read the serious negative reviews & thats kept me away. Look at any forum online, & there are multiple posts with hundreds of repeats, puff even has one with a multiple choice poll and the results are disturbing for the retailer.

Seriously its one of those things that makes me say "What the F...". Why would any company allow their name to get so trashed, over and over again, and still choose profits over making improvements. It doesn't even make sense as a profitable business model to me. The 'oh well we will lose some customers, employ awful customer service, & gain an awful reputation, but we'll make some money here & there.'
    Why would you even want to allow your company to become the most hated, most disrespected, most avoided retailer in the country? The name is thrown in the mud on every forum for good reason it appears. Until I hear reviews that they cleaned their act up, I say the Big T can go screw themselves, their mag goes straight in the garbage at my house. Aren't customers always number 1 in business???
    +10
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Another @#$ Thompson thread?? Can't say I'm surprised.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    blurr:

Because obviously their making money Blurr----and enough not to give a $hit about anything else. I know the questions was probably rhetorical, but thats the bare bones of it. If more companies could get away with the $hitty treatment of customers and still turn an acceptable profit...they would have a ton of fellow companies on their list.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are the black eye of the cigar business in my opinion. I have had 2 orders from them in the past and had 2 horrible experiences. Like the other guys have said, the oldtimers here have discussed this several times and it gets brought up time and time again. I don't see it as bashing them but a heads up to your other BOTL and another reason to shop here at CCom.
  • Options
    jsnake:
    They are the black eye of the cigar business in my opinion. I have had 2 orders from them in the past and had 2 horrible experiences. Like the other guys have said, the oldtimers here have discussed this several times and it gets brought up time and time again. I don't see it as bashing them but a heads up to your other BOTL and another reason to shop here at CCom.
    Couldn't agree more jake.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Never bought anything from them and never will
  • Options
    JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    Speaking of this company, I've got to wonder how they got my address. I've been getting their catalogs lately, and they're completely inferior to ccom's which I adore and look forward to.
  • Options
    Knoxca1Knoxca1 Posts: 148 ✭✭
    I've been on a couple different cigar website and it seemed everyone of them had nothing good to say about them. As long as CCOM stocks what I want I see no reason to go anywhere else.
  • Options
    JudoChinX:
    Speaking of this company, I've got to wonder how they got my address. I've been getting their catalogs lately, and they're completely inferior to ccom's which I adore and look forward to.
    took me months to get my name off their list, although there catalogs were useful in starting my smoker.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    I used to order from their mail catalog in the 80s, early 90s - no problems that I can remember - but I was a very causal smoker - maybe 40-50 sticks/year - small humi, etc.
    Then I quit.
    When I started up again late last year, I went to Thompson, because that's what I remembered.
    Got a starter bundle deal and a humi.
    Got a phone call - "you should consider the cigar of the month club, blah, blah....."
    Annoying - but no big deal.
    What was much more annoying was their lack of technology in their online sales - very freakin weak!
    Then as I learned more - their lack of product line, and somewhat rude/pushy sales staff who called me a few more times even after I asked them not to.............hmmmm.
    I was never burned, had bad product, or any of that - so I was lucky I suppose.
    I don't buy there anymore.

What I see is an old, established company that has had a difficult time transitioning to the new cigar sales market.
    They also have a slightly different business focus than does Ccom and CI.
    One one end you have Thompson, JR and the like, on the other end you have Ccon and CI.
    The rest fall somewhere in the middle with respect to business stategy and development.
    It will be interesting to see who is left standing in 5 to 10 years.
  • Options
    KingoftheCove:
    I used to order from their mail catalog in the 80s, early 90s - no problems that I can remember - but I was a very causal smoker - maybe 40-50 sticks/year - small humi, etc.
    Then I quit.
    When I started up again late last year, I went to Thompson, because that's what I remembered.
    Got a starter bundle deal and a humi.
    Got a phone call - "you should consider the cigar of the month club, blah, blah....."
    Annoying - but no big deal.
    What was much more annoying was their lack of technology in their online sales - very freakin weak!
    Then as I learned more - their lack of product line, and somewhat rude/pushy sales staff who called me a few more times even after I asked them not to.............hmmmm.
    I was never burned, had bad product, or any of that - so I was lucky I suppose.
    I don't buy there anymore.

What I see is an old, established company that has had a difficult time transitioning to the new cigar sales market.
    They also have a slightly different business focus than does Ccom and CI.
    One one end you have Thompson, JR and the like, on the other end you have Ccon and CI.
    The rest fall somewhere in the middle with respect to business stategy and development.
    It will be interesting to see who is left standing in 5 to 10 years.
    IMO, I wouldn't classify CI in the same league customer service wise with Ccom. Just sayin...

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    IMO, I wouldn't classify CI in the same league customer service wise with Ccom. Just sayin...
    You're right of course - but I wasn't really talking about customer service so much when I mentioned business strategy and development.
    I'm talking more about product mix and pricing, target audience, marketing and sales strategies, etc.

• Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    dowjr1:
    So in the past I have ordered from Thmpsn cigars. But a while back they signed me up with a related company that started charging my credit card without sending me information on their products and services (which was supposed to happen before they started charging fees). I reversed the fees and complained to Thompson about my poor treatment from their business partner...twice. They never called back to addr my issue. However they call me this morning (again) with the old,"Oh we see you used to order from us and dont now so we'd like you back." Whatever. Done with those losers. If you can't be bothered to even make an attempt to address a customer issue then you don't deserve my business.
    I had the EXACT same thing happen a few months ago. I knew better than to trust em but I wanted an exclusive cigar they carried. Stupid me. Not only did they sign me up for the other company's bs (which charged my credit card without my approval), but when the cigars came, they were so under humidified that I haven't even smoked one yet. That was about 5 months ago! F* them.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Before I found C.Com, The only place I knew was the above mentioned company. I was in Tampa and visited their store and was placed on the mailing list. I never got any bad sticks, or bad experience. I haven't bought anything from them in the past three years or so, but they still keep me on the mailing list. No real need to go anywhere other than here, In my opinion.