Home General Discussion
Options

cigars still good or not ?

jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
sent wayne a bomb to canada on may 9, i forgot and wrote cigars on box. box was refused and today just got the box back almost 3 months later from out there in the us mail land, will probably just chunk them but wanted to see what all you would do, the one on the right has the wrapper peeling apart,lol, the rest look ok, image

Comments

• Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Pop 'em back in low humidity and gradually bring it up? Or just try one.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    How was the humi pillow? Was it completely dried out? I've had mine last a year or more.
  • Options
    rwheelwright:
    How was the humi pillow? Was it completely dried out? I've had mine last a year or more.
    / nope plenty moisture was left , guess ill just mark them with a note to remember what they are when i try them,lol
  • Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    add em to the crap pass....lol.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Send em to me,,lol I think they are smokeable,especially since you had a humi pillow in there. Barber poles are finicky to begin with. Throw em back in the humi for a couple weeks.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Id try one and see, if the pillow wasn't dry as a bone, then you might have a good chance of the cigars still being ok. If it's not, then let them rest in your humi for awhile.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    jj20030:
    rwheelwright:
    / nope plenty moisture was left , guess ill just mark them with a note to remember what they are when i try them,lol
    My suggestion then would be to put them in your smoking humi and leave them for maybe 2 months so that the humidity will come back down to where you like it.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rwheelwright:
    jj20030:
    rwheelwright:
    My suggestion then would be to put them in your smoking humi and leave them for maybe 2 months so that the humidity will come back down to where you like it.
    Sounds right to me
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    If they were in a bag or something.... They are fine... I'd be more worried about beetles than anything else. For the past two months the United States has been around 55-80%Rh Nationwide... So basically even where they were sitting the bad thing would be temps, but they shouldn't be bone dry and lost
  • Options
    t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    Bring em back slow and smoke the hell out of em. If ur to scared , send em to me. ;)
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    There are passes out there that traveled with just Pillows for a long time.. I don't think they are junk, just get them back to the way you like through a long rest in proper conditions.
  • Options
    JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    Dang. Looks like you had some nice cigars in there. Hope they survived.
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Hey JJ. Wow. I never knew that they were bouncing around the postal system for that long. In any case, if the humi pillow wasn't dry and the cigars don't look or feel dried out, they should be ok. Just give them a gentle squeeze. If the tobacco feels hard and cracks when you squeeze it, it's too dry. If it's too dry, then slowly bring them back up in humidity.

If they're not dried out, then I would still isolate them for a couple of weeks. It's been hot all across North America, so watch out for beetles. Hope they're still ok. That's a beautiful attempted bomb.
  • Options
    wwhwang:
    Hey JJ. Wow. I never knew that they were bouncing around the postal system for that long. In any case, if the humi pillow wasn't dry and the cigars don't look or feel dried out, they should be ok. Just give them a gentle squeeze. If the tobacco feels hard and cracks when you squeeze it, it's too dry. If it's too dry, then slowly bring them back up in humidity.

If they're not dried out, then I would still isolate them for a couple of weeks. It's been hot all across North America, so watch out for beetles. Hope they're still ok. That's a beautiful attempted bomb.
    yup just the mention of beetles yesterday made me throw them in the freezer yesterday so what the best way to mess with them when i take them out and how lond should i freeze them?
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I've read 48 hours in the freezer then put them in isolation for a bit to watch them before adding them to your humi.
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Actually, if I remember correctly, it's 48 hours in freezer, then another 48 hours in the fridge before putting them back in the humi or isolation. This way, the cigars won't be damaged by a sudden change in temp and humidity (if you just went directly from freezer to humi).
  • Options
    I think that if the cigars were in the bag for 3 months with the humidity high and temps high that a beetle outbreak would have already happened if it were to happen at all. Just my guess and opinion.