Home General Discussion
Options

What makes you try something new?

I often thought about it. My earlier posting was on brand and what people like us tend to hold on to. Now what is it that makes you stray. Is it hype, a review, a recommendation? I try alot of cigars and for the most part I think all cigars have some merit. I think their are ones that I have no need to revisit and some as recognizable as a pair of comfortable slippers.

I am swayed by the box and the name which captures my eye. I may have heard or read about it. Which can be a healthy form of hype. If I do not know the blender or location of the tobacco, I then go by smell, touch, sheen and balance. Im also attracted to the bands and the cigars look and feel. If it is just a photo then CCom could make me buy almost any cigar, but I tend to go back to origin and blender. Sometimes a country and region peak my interest. Sometimes wrapper or size. Also as a wise consumer on higher priced cigars (over 7 dollars), I feel that several user opinions with similar taste profiles also sway my buying power. When I get to this level anything higher would have to be marketed correctly, have great feedback, and a lineage of success, or they get lost. Finally when a friend hands me something he is exctied about it almost always gets me to try something new. That is if we have the same taste. What are your deciding factors.

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i only buy cigars that i know i like. everything that is new to me is what others have bombed me with or have tagged along in a trade. 45% of my humidor was traded for or bombed to me. so i get to try new stuff all the time.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been trying new cigars at almost a frantic pace trying to find one similar to the Fire by Indian Tabac that was discontinued way back when. That was my favorite stick but, sadly, I haven't even come close to finding a replacement. There have been some good ones along the way but none as good as the Fire.

Ah, well, c'est la vie......

• Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I play the games and make the trades because it forces me to try new stuff. When I buy my own, I look at the price. Not so with deliveries. I just smoke it and make an unabashed decision weather I like it or not. I'm actually looking forward to the Crap pass. LOL.
  • Options
    beatnic:
    I'm actually looking forward to the Crap pass. LOL.

Me, too.

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    My reason for trying new stuff is simple; because I haven't tried it, that makes me want to try it. I'm doing better these days about keeping blind buys down to singles or fivers.
  • Options
    y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    75% of the new cigars I try come from either bombs, trades, or games I've participated on this forum. The rest comes from my local B&M, although I think I've tried just about everything in his inventory. Most of my go-to brands come from there.
  • Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    I vary between sticking to what I like and trying new stuff.

When I'm in a trying phase I tend to do one of 3 things. . . .

Sometimes I'll follow the hype and try cigars that are highly rated or recomended. I'd like to try Kristoff and Viaje, just becuase so many people like them, I'd like to try and see what I think.

Sometimes I'll follow a blender who I like, (for example DPG puts out hit after hit for me, where AJ is batthing around .500, and J Fuego is just getting onto my radar while EP Carillo is just getting back onto my radar),

Or maybe they just sound like they have all the ingredients of a cigar that I'd like (I love medium bodied Sumatras, so when trying a new line like Avo, I went for the sumatra, the Domaine, and F'ing LOVED IT.)

But it also comes down to what I remember and or wha tI feel like at that moment when actually emailing The Beard.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    y2pascoe:
    75% of the new cigars I try come from either bombs, trades, or games I've participated on this forum. The rest comes from my local B&M, although I think I've tried just about everything in his inventory. Most of my go-to brands come from there.
    Me too (except the B&M part, his selection stinks). The other 25% come from blind purchases based on the reviews and hype from this forum. If a cigar is already getting good reviews on here I know it's a safe buy. If it doesn't suit me and I don't like it I can trade them away. I've never lost. This forum rules!
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I pick up new things when I remember any favorable review I have read, or when someone sends things in contests here. If I see something that just catches my eye and it is under six dollar (my magic: I'll try anything number) I'll get one. Rarely do I smoke a cigar that has no redeeming quality, simply because there are so many quality cigars out there right now. In fact, I can only think of two that I felt were a waste of time and money.
  • Options
    d-robd-rob Posts: 61
    I'm still trying lots of different samplers. I try to find things I like that are at a price point I can afford. Other than that I smoke whatever Glen leaves on my desk
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    If I try something new, its usually because I have had something I like from the same maker. I will try any Fuente, Tat, LFD, AJ, Padilla, or Pepin because I know I like the brand.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I'm kind of with Dennis on this. I tend to be more inclined to try a new cigar if it is made by, blended by, whatever, by someone whose other cigars I have enjoyed. That said, blend also plays a role in my desire to try cigars.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    boydmcgowan:
    I vary between sticking to what I like and trying new stuff.

When I'm in a trying phase I tend to do one of 3 things. . . .

Sometimes I'll follow the hype and try cigars that are highly rated or recomended. I'd like to try Kristoff and Viaje, just becuase so many people like them, I'd like to try and see what I think.

Sometimes I'll follow a blender who I like, (for example DPG puts out hit after hit for me, where AJ is batthing around .500, and J Fuego is just getting onto my radar while EP Carillo is just getting back onto my radar),

Or maybe they just sound like they have all the ingredients of a cigar that I'd like (I love medium bodied Sumatras, so when trying a new line like Avo, I went for the sumatra, the Domaine, and F'ing LOVED IT.)

But it also comes down to what I remember and or wha tI feel like at that moment when actually emailing The Beard.
    + 1 Furthermore I could not imagine not trying as many different brands, blends and vitolas as one could. I even try the cheaper budget smokes just for the experience and knowledge. Knowing what a not so good stick tastes like helps me realize when I'm smoking a really good one. Ive also found some hidden gems by turning over as many rocks as I can. I enjoy doing the research on a stick then trying to acquire the ones Im interested in at the lowest price possible, Yea I get sucked into the hype sometimes but most of the time I do pretty good. As Ive said before, I owe much thanks not only to on line retailers like Cigar.com but the BOTL's who take the time to write informative reviews. Some are hype and sales bytes but many are not. I think many brands bring many awesome sticks to the table. So I try to find the best of the best. For example I tried a San Lotano Maduro tonight gifted to me by T-evan, and it is without a doubt one of the best maduro's I've had the pleasure of smoking.
  • Options
    JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    Simply curiosity on the most basic level. Even now, I'll pick up a DD or weekend blitz if it's something I'll think I like and others generally have good things to say about them. I've found some of my most favorite cigars using this method including: Padilla Series 68, 5 Vegas Gold Maduro, Man O' War Puro Authentico

I've only had a couple of bad experiences using this method: Frank's Way and Albion. I'll chalk those up to not following the 'seeing what others had to say' part of my formula.

Speaking of those two bad experiences, anyone else have a take on either of those brands? I'm not crazy for thinking they were underwhelming (Frank's Way) or just outright awful, (Albion) am I?
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    My answer's pretty simple: You f**kers.

Whether through trades, bombs, games, or just reviews and hype. It's always you f**kers that make me try new stuff.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    I smoke what ENFIDEL & Redtailhawkoz tell me to.

EXCLUSIVELY! :-)

• Options
    Underwhelming is exactly right for Frank's Way. And to think that, according to the hype, this blend - with only a tiny change - was originally made especially for Frank Sinatra. It was originally called "My Way". Ol' Frank must not have had a very demanding palate....

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    Underwhelming is exactly right for Frank's Way. And to think that, according to the hype, this blend - with only a tiny change - was originally made especially for Frank Sinatra. It was originally called "My Way". Ol' Frank must not have had a very demanding palate....

when frank was smoking cigars the style of cigars that was popular was a very mild blend. the most common wrapper was candela or claro.
  • Options
    I've still got a couple of 'em in my coolidor. Anybody want 'em?

If not, maybe I'll stick 'em in the Crap Pass when it comes around.

• Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    When I'm just bumming around the 'ole B&M I usually buy something new everytime... I don't do much trading, passing or bombing so I don't get "Suprised" a lot, but I'll buy something new for one of three reasons:
    1. You guys rant and rave over it and I actually remember it when at the store
    2. It's a new bland/brand from a trusted/liked cigar brand/blender
    3. It has a pretty band.... I'll be honest, if I had no influence from any outside source... I'd pick the coolest looking or prettiest band.... Shallow I know...
  • Options
    JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    jlmarta:
    I've still got a couple of 'em in my coolidor. Anybody want 'em?

If not, maybe I'll stick 'em in the Crap Pass when it comes around.

I finally burned through the last of them. Finally! I felt guilty having them in my coolidor, taking up space which could have been occupied by great smokes.
  • Options
    Yep, I'll drink to that....

• Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    If it's a manufacturer I like I'm apt to try it.
    Also if it's a blend I've liked I'll try it.

• Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    +1 After a point, I have several favorites and some that I have in my humis and cooleridors that I have not visited for quite a while. Right now I am not too interested in trying anything new. I have found myself drawn toward some of the new hype and marketing. (The new series God of Fire...Sencillo...things like that) But for the most part I am first attraacted by the marketing and then I have to convince myself this is not what I need. So most new purchases will be what I know and love.
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    I simply try new cigars to find new flavors, some I like and purchase, others I find sub-par. Either way I give them A fair chance. True I end up smoking some dog sticks but with out giving them A try some fine cigars would be missed out on.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I also am influenced to try new things by the internet. I post on/read a few cigar forums, which are great sources of information, news, and reviews. There are also a few cigar blogs I read daily that influence my purchases (Smoking Stogie, The Cigar Feed, Stogie Review, and Stogie Guys off the top of my head are some favorites)
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Up until a few years ago, I pretty much smoked the same stuff. Fuente, Partagas, Upmann with the occasional Mayorga (I liked the box pressed idea when it came out). Once in a while I would maybe try a Macanudo Robust or something else but I would almost always get the same stuff even though I would go in with the intent to get something different. I think after getting more involved with cigar.com and then the cotm club, I started to experiment and try more.
  • Options
    NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Posts: 728
    What makes me try something new? Usually in all aspects of life... Desperation. But I'm trying to get better :)