Home Cigar 101
Options

Im in need of help.... a lot!

Ok guys, a year ago I purchased about $60 worth of cigars at a local smoke shope for a friends going away party. We smoked all night about 9 cigars divided between 3 of us. Ever since then I was hooked! I know now, due to reading of Alex's blogs, that I have been smoking, buying, and doing everything wrong you can do with cigars for the past year or so.

SO, I need/want to learn a lot! I've read the blogs about how to light and how to smoke and I am very excited to try out my new skills. BUT, what trouble I'm running into now is that I don't know what to buy! Being a college student as well as working a little less than full-time at a police dept. I don't want to waste my money on crap!!!

So, can someone give me some insight about what would be good starter set/brands/buys what to look for, general knowledge, tips, ideas about humidors. ANYTHING! I love cigars but I want to do it right while not wasting my time and money! HELP!

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    tupperware humidor.

as far as inexpensive but good cigars...
    cigar.com house blends. find what you like in those and then find cigars that are similar.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947

Excellent and solid advice. The cuban blend is one of my fav's at ccom

• Options
    ScoobyScooby Posts: 7
    So your thinking the cigar.com Mixed Sampler might be a nice bundle to get?
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Kuzi is dead on about the tupperware. Just go get a piece of tupperware big enough to hold a decent number of cigars. Get a digital hygrometer and calibrate it. THen go to www.heartfeltindustries.com and order yourself some beads (order twice as many as the website says to). Go down to the local B&M and get an empty box made of Spanish Cedar and break the box up and line the walls of the tupperware. Do NOT glue them just set them in there. Season your new tupperdor like you would a humidor, easiest way is to poor distilled water into a shallow dish and leave it in there(without cigars!) for a while(between 3 and 10 days) checking the dish to see if it has soaked up all the water. Everytime the dish becomes empty fill it back up and wait a couple days until you no longer need to fill up the dish. Now your seasoned. Charge your beads as directed, drop in cigars.

THe Ccom mixed sampler is a good start but I'd also look at brands like 5 Vegas, Cusano and Sol Cubano. Call up Ccom, the boys will hook you up with a nice affordable starter pack.
  • Options
    ScoobyScooby Posts: 7
    Wonderful! I will get right on that!