Home General Discussion
Options

The Year of the Cigar

Seldom does a year ever capture what cigars should be. This year thus far has produced some excellent cigars. All one has to do is look at their humidor to see that. I have 20-30 different cigar products in my humidor not to mention violas from each. Post if you believe this is the year for superior products. What producers have blown you away this year?

Some of mine in order:

Tatuaje
Illusione
Cain
Padilla
Viaje
My Father

Comments

• Options
    t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    This was my first year in the hobbie so I can't say but I know there has been some damn fine smokes released. I'm hoping this year will be the year of the "corona and lancero".
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Mine are: God of Fire Cohiba Behike 52 Romeo Julieta short Churchill Ashton ESG Graycliff Double Espresso San Crsitobal La Habana
  • Options
    Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    For me, I thought the releases first part of the year were fantastic. I thought the trade show was underwhelming. I mean that in a relative sense. I think 90% of what debuted in the first six months was very respectable. The show I would say of the 100 releases I liked 5 and they rest were just okay but most of those haven't come to market yet. I think when they do you guys will agree more or less. My top show picks were the Oktoberfest by MATASA, San Lotano Oval (because I am an admitted AJ ****), Petes stuff turned out very nice, perdomo was very good but I don't think they will get the credit they deserve (much like MATASA).
  • Options
    Alex Svenson:
    For me, I thought the releases first part of the year were fantastic. I thought the trade show was underwhelming. I mean that in a relative sense. I think 90% of what debuted in the first six months was very respectable. The show I would say of the 100 releases I liked 5 and they rest were just okay but most of those haven't come to market yet. I think when they do you guys will agree more or less. My top show picks were the Oktoberfest by MATASA, San Lotano Oval (because I am an admitted AJ ****), Petes stuff turned out very nice, perdomo was very good but I don't think they will get the credit they deserve (much like MATASA).
    Better go ahead and plan a show "sampler" so we can judge for ourselves. ;)
  • Options
    Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    t_evan50:
    Alex Svenson:
    See back cover end of October LOL. That said some of my picks are retail only and some were not available that early but there will be some strong horses in there. The La Gloria Retro was nice too actually.
  • Options
    Alex Svenson:
    t_evan50:
    Alex Svenson:
    See back cover end of October LOL. That said some of my picks are retail only and some were not available that early but there will be some strong horses in there. The La Gloria Retro was nice too actually.
    Excellent. Thanks Alex.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    Most Perdomo products don't get the credit they deserve. I can't wait to try AJs oval as well
  • Options
    dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dennisking:
    Alex Svenson:
    Most Perdomo products don't get the credit they deserve. I can't wait to try AJs oval as well
    I agree! I smoke a lot of Perdomo's, and love nearly everything that is available to me...I do wish more people would open up and try more of what they offer. I try to make it a point to toss something from Perdomo in every trade, bomb, or contest package I send out.

As for AJ...I quickly became a huge fan of everything AJ. I just had my first San Lotano Maduro tonight and I loved it! The Habano is up next!

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Stoked for the Oval, for sure, but I kind of agree with Alex. I feel like there were a lot more new releases last year that I was stoked for than this year. That said, Fuente and their constituents were telling everyone that next year would be a huge year for them, and as a self-confessed Fuente S1ut, I am really stoked, and my wallet is already gasping for breath.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Kinda iffy on the Oval; something I wanna try, but not the highest on my list. The San Lotano connecicut was really underwhelming to me; the flavor profile was just weird, almost reminded me of copper. While the maduro was worlds better, still odd (gonna let it rest a month or two and revisit; has promise). Haven't smoked the Habano yet - saving the reportedly best one for last

Cigar of the Year for me is still up in the air; admittedly I haven't tried all of the new ones, and I'm still waiting for a "wow - how the crap did I ever do without this?" kind of stick
  • Options
    wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    Hmmmm hell of alotta good smokes out.....for me it's in the air between the Illusione cg4 and the Viaje skull and bones.
  • Options
    wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    Alex can you tell us more about the size of the oktoberfest? I've heard it's only gonna be in like a 7x60?