Home General Discussion
Options

Temp control concern

BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
I have 3 humidors. One 250 count and two 50 counts. I have never had a problem with RH in any of them, as I keep them pretty full, but I am getting worried about the temp in them. I live in Ga, and it has been so hot and so humid this year, that I have had to be extra careful about how I treat my humis. Lately, it has been so hot, that my air conditioning unit can't keep my house at desired temps. As a matter of fact, in the hottest part of the day, the temp in my home is pushing 80! I DO NOT want beetles, what should I do? This is the first summer me and my family have lived in our new (larger-harder to heat/cool!) home, so this problem is new for me. One beetle outbreak could ruin thousands of dollars worth of smokes. is 80 degrees for 2-6 hrs a day gonna make them hatch?

Comments

• Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    What's your rh in you humis at? and how sure are you that the reading is correct?
  • Options
    Russ55:
    What's your rh in you humis at? and how sure are you that the reading is correct?
    The RH is dif in each humi. 250 count is 68%. One 50 count is 65%, and the other is 70%. I am positive that the RH readings are correct. As far as the temp reading goes, I have no reason to believe it is incorrect. I have digital thermometers on the wall units, and a portable digital thermometer that I keep in my office (where my humis are), and they all read in line with one another.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the temp in the humis? Have you put a fan on them?
  • Options
    The temp in my house typically gets around 75 by midday so I've been trying to keep my RH below 70 with a small fan on them.
  • Options
    the temp in the humis varies between 74 and 78 degrees. (the only way I know that is via an old medical style thermometer that I found in my medicine cabinet... not sure how exact the mercyru reading is, ut either way the temp is high enough to scare me). I have an oscilating fan in my office, but I've never had individual fans pointing at each humi. Do you think that would help?
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    If you're rh is below 70, and your temp is 80 or less you're probably fine.
  • Options
    Russ55:
    If you're rh is below 70, and your temp is 80 or less you're probably fine.
    That makes me fee la little better. I'll prob get individual fans for them anyways. Paranoia is a ***. lol
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    It is important, yes, but I also feel that a lot of newer smokers get too worried about temperature and RH%. Temperature especially. Obviously long term storage at a temperature over 78+ can be trouble, but living here in Virginia, the temperature in my apartment often gets into the 80s during the day, but never for too long I guess. I just think enough attention to catch any problems should they develop is what is necessary. Products like Oust Fans and Beads are great because they allow the user to just sort of set them and forget them, aside from occasional battery changes, and bead recharges.
  • Options
    jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    The worrying got to me! Enough to where I went out and bought a wine cooler. Going on vacations for a week or more at a time, we cut the a/c off. My house gets in the 90's with no a/c on and a week or two of 90+ temp is killer! I bought the wine cooler, made spanish cedar shelves, added conservagel beads and I couldn't be happier. I figured I spend enough money in cigars, a coule hundred bucks to set up a great storage system is well worth the investment!
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Options:

1. Temp controlled wine coolador.

2. Window AC unit for the room you keep the humis in.

3. Move to a cool spot. Basement, in a closet or as close to the vents as possible.

4. Send all cigars to me. My house never gets over 72...... I'll get 'em back to you mid Nov at the latest.

....... minus my "storage fee", of course! LOL!
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    Ts the power outages I really hate got me the biggest generater I could find runs the whole house as long as you keep lights to what's nessacery and turn off the water heater it'll even run the central air as long as it's at 70 and no lower. Best money I ever spent.
  • Options
    lilwing88:
    Options:

1. Temp controlled wine coolador.

2. Window AC unit for the room you keep the humis in.

3. Move to a cool spot. Basement, in a closet or as close to the vents as possible.

4. Send all cigars to me. My house never gets over 72...... I'll get 'em back to you mid Nov at the latest.

....... minus my "storage fee", of course! LOL!
    Any type of wine cooler you would suggest? Keep in mind I am super poor.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    BRING BACK BIGT BRING BACK BIGT BRING BACK BIGT
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Last visited 09-07-2012
  • Options
    Rain:
    Last visited 09-07-2012
    and I bombed his ass to to get him back... BRING BACK BIGT!
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Rain:
    Last visited 09-07-2012
    Man, that's love.
  • Options
    Rain:
    catfishbluezz:
    Rain:
    Last visited 09-07-2012
    Man, that's love.
    BigT06 is nothign but looooooooooooove... His bro Teege is back, now he needs to return damnit!!!!