Home Cigar 101

Can I save my cigars?

christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
I bought a box of CAO Brazilia Gol! Problem is when I got home they had not been placed in my humidor for a week. I tried smoking one and it was a pain. Smoked very tight. Can I save them still by puttting them in the humidor or is it too late? Thanks!!

Comments

• ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    If it smoked tight I'd say it was either a plug or they were over humidified. I've had plug issues with CAO in the past so I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Throw them in the humi and let them rest 2-4 weeks and then give one of them another go.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Where were they for the week? I would think it depends, but there is a good chance they are salvageable. Just do what was mentioned earlier, try one in a month, if it sucks then leave them for 6 weeks....just gonna take some time.

"Long ashes my friends."

• J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    You should be OK. I would recommend starting them in a half charged humi and slowly bring up the RH. The best way to do it would be to move the RH up a little at a time, if you can manage it. Then let them rest for a couple of days before moving it again and so on. Because cigars are so big and have filler, binder, and wrapper these all are affected by the RH at different times. Moving too fast could cause them to split.
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    I've heard cigars being salvaged after far more than a week without proper humidification. I bet you'll be fine.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    FIRST: dont freak out. cigars are more resilient than most people think. on week in a box shouldnt be much of an issue.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I have found over humidfying to be the biggest culprit for a tight draw. I routinely keep mine between 60--65% now. Many sticks do not respond well to 70% humidity