Home General Discussion

Gurkha and a glass of wine

A few months back I had an interesting experience when pairing a merlot with a Gurkha Grand Reserve torpedo. It was a nice night out and the wife and I decided to open a bottle we had been saving/using as decoration and sit outside. Opened the bottle and pored us each a glass; the wine was room temperature (around 70 degrees) and a little bland but good nonetheless. We sat outside talking and enjoying the night and I decided to add a cigar to the mix for the 2nd glass. After sparking it and taking few puffs I noticed it was a bit sweeter than I remembered and just contributed it to the wine. But a little while later I took a sip of the wine followed by a light draw on the cigar and tasted a very sweet berry taste on the tip of my tongue. I paused and then took another sip of wine followed by a much stronger draw and it felt/tasted like little explosions of flavor throughout my pallet that faded away after a few seconds. Another draw on the cigar produced a similar result only much less pronounced. Another sip of wine and a nice draw again gave the same sensation and flavor. I explained it to the wife and offered the cigar to her and she experienced similar results. She has much more experience in wine than me and said the cigar made the wine taste like a much more expensive and aged bottle. We enjoyed the rest of the night, finished off the bottle, and she even borrowed my cigar a few more times. A few weeks later she came home with a new bottle of the wine and we enjoyed it again only with a little less pronounced results. The wine tasted a little better from the start and did not “pop” as much with the cigar. I can’t remember the name of the wine but I will get it from the wife. My question is has anyone had a similar experience when pairing cigars with wine and what were you smoking/drinking?

Comments

• The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Yes , actually there is a cigar.com guy who did a video on certain wines with certain cigars, its pretty cool. Cant remember his name but i'll look for it. Im sure you could talk to a rep and ask for some recommendations. Ill look for the link..I like a merlot with corojo..
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    Yes , actually there is a cigar.com guy who did a video on certain wines with certain cigars, its pretty cool. Cant remember his name but i'll look for it. Im sure you could talk to a rep and ask for some recommendations. Ill look for the link..I like a merlot with corojo..
    I cant find the one I spoke of earlier, But I found one with Alex and the Beard , (Dec 29th 2010) If you look youll find some other pairings as well
    http://www.cigar.com/podcast/index.asp
    I found it see (June 3 2011)
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I absolutely love pairing wine with cigars, both red and white, and even more so... Champagne (and other sparkling wine varieties, especially Cava).