Home General Discussion
Options

Whiskey Drinkers - what pairs well with it?

2»

Comments

• Options
    OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    Heavy:
    cabinetmaker:
    Whiskey tends to pair well with handcuffs for me...
    LOL!!
    That made me chuckle
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I like to pair Jack Daniels Honey Whiskey w/ a San Lotano Habano. IMO, a great combo.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    BigT06:
    cabinetmaker:
    oh man... I know that feeling all too well... my wife says whiskey makes me angry. I say NO, stupid people make me angry, whiskey just makes me more vocal about it. LOL!
    Am I the only one who didn't think the handcuffs were used by the police?
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    I'm a bourbon man myself....Weller's, Buffalo Trace, and Eagle Rare seem to find their way into my rotation quite often. I like to pair them with a nice Padron or Illusione.
  • Options
    slickricslickric Posts: 705
    i recently started getting into scotch. 2 that i have bought that i REALLY love are glenfiddich 15 solera reserve (thanks to jasonusa1) and dalmore 12yr. both are soo smooth. i haven't actually found a cigar that DOESNT pair well, but i did have a tatuaje cojuno 2003 that went great with it
  • Options
    oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
    cprsuperman:
    I'm a bourbon man myself....Weller's, Buffalo Trace, and Eagle Rare seem to find their way into my rotation quite often. I like to pair them with a nice Padron or Illusione.
    I like your style.
  • Options
    slickric:
    i recently started getting into scotch. 2 that i have bought that i REALLY love are glenfiddich 15 solera reserve (thanks to jasonusa1) and dalmore 12yr. both are soo smooth. i haven't actually found a cigar that DOESNT pair well, but i did have a tatuaje cojuno 2003 that went great with it
    Judging from those two, I think you will like Bruichladdich 12 yr. Try it out sometime.
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Well, I enjoy a drop of whiskey with my cigars. If you looked into my cabinet at any given time you would find at least two or three of these:

Scotch Whiskey - Highland Park and/or Glenmorainge

Bourbon - Four Roses single Barrel, Elijah Craig 18 year, Pappy Van Winkle 24 year, Woodford Reserve

Irish Whiskey - Greenore, Wild Geese

I've thoroughly enjoyed every single cigar I've ever paired with any of these spirits, but especially the Oliva V maduro. Last night I had a My Father with a bit of Buffalo Trace 17 year old select - very nice.
  • Options
    slickricslickric Posts: 705
    oldsoulrevival:
    slickric:
    Judging from those two, I think you will like Bruichladdich 12 yr. Try it out sometime.
    i have had a few islay scotches and i haven't really like any of them. i found the ones i had were very smokey and i am not a huge fan of the smokiness. is Bruichladdich 12 yr smokey at all? i usually stick to the highland and speysides
  • Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Aberlour 12 is a phenominal scotch for around $50 if you find it.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    All of them!
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Ken Light:
    BigT06:
    cabinetmaker:
    oh man... I know that feeling all too well... my wife says whiskey makes me angry. I say NO, stupid people make me angry, whiskey just makes me more vocal about it. LOL!
    Am I the only one who didn't think the handcuffs were used by the police?
    Kinda hard to hold a cigar.
  • Options
    slickric:
    oldsoulrevival:
    slickric:
    i have had a few islay scotches and i haven't really like any of them. i found the ones i had were very smokey and i am not a huge fan of the smokiness. is Bruichladdich 12 yr smokey at all? i usually stick to the highland and speysides
    It doesn't have smokiness. I am a huge highlands man, myself, and I absolutely loved this bottle. The palate is smooth, slightly salty, buttery toffee, vanilla, spice, etc. I am usually not one to like "marine" or "coastal" or "nautical" whiskeys, but I LOVE this scotch.
    Marker:
    Aberlour 12 is a phenominal scotch for around $50 if you find it.
    I very much agree. Aberlour is one of the best distilleries around right now. They are consistently delicious and competitively priced.
  • Options
    I was trolling the net for Scotch reviews, and stumbled across this, and thought some of you might like it:

19 Jan

The Dalmore Cigar Malt Reserve will be available from late February in duty-free and travel-retail Liquor supplier Whyte & Mackay is set to launch a new expression of The Dalmore Scotch whisky in duty-free and travel-retail next month. The Dalmore Cigar Malt Reserve is aimed at cigar-loving whisky drinkers and will be available from late February on general release including duty-free outlets.

The Dalmore Cigar Malt Reserve is bottled at 44% abv, featuring notes of cinnamon, vanilla and red fruits on the aroma and tropical fruits, banana toffee and vanilla ice cream on the palate, with a finish of orange zest, bergamot and crushed spices.

“Many of our fans were disappointed when the old Cigar Malt left the range in 2007, so we set about creating an even better whisky that would allow those fans to experience a great single malt that has been specifically crafted with cigar pairings in mind," said The Dalmote master distiller Richard Patterson.

"Aged in 30-year-old Oloroso sherry butts, American white oak and premier cru cabernet sauvignon wine barriques, this whisky provides cigar and malt fans with an incomparable experience and succinct pleasure,” he added. “It’s a great match to a number of cigars but I would highly recommend enjoying it with a Partagas No2 Cigar as in my opinion the flavours work in perfect harmony together."

The new whisky has a suggested domestic retail price of £70 ($108).

Article Courtesy of DFNI Online
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I wholeheartedly agree with whoever said that they like NON-peated malts with cigars. I have yet to have a heavily peated whisky (I'm talking Laphroaig or Ardbeg level peat) pair really well with a cigar. That's not to say I haven't tried. I have, and have never had it click. I will say that two of my favorite whiskies, Bunnahabhain 12 and Johnnie Walker Green Label (a great bargain, and one of the best blends out there) both have a good peat smoke element (not heavy peat, and certainly not even close to the level of many Islays, despite the Caol Ila in JW Green, and Bunna being from Islay) and both pair really well with cigars that have a strong earth, herbal, or vegetal component. I recently tried a pairing I mentioned wanting to try in a recent review, the Rafael Gonzalez Corona Extra, with a peated whisky. In lieu of a peat monster like Ardbeg, I decided to pour a finger each of Bunna 12 and JW Green while smoking a RG CE, and as I suspected, the earthy, peat notes in each of these whiskies made the vegetal, earth character of the cigar just explode, and did the exact same for the whisky. Definitely a combo to be enjoyed again in the future. I need to find some NC cigars that have that strong vegetal character.

Other pairings I dig... sweet, wheated bourbons, like Van Winkle stuff, with any maduro that has that fresh baked bread flavor (and they usually have good dark chocolate too). Specifically, Liga Privada No. 9, JdN Antano Dark Corojo, Cro-Magnon Knuckle Dragger, and LFD DL maduro (like the Chisel, Chisel Gorda, and Chiselito myself) all have these flavors, and are great with wheated bourbons.
  • Options

oldsoulrevival:
    cprsuperman:
    I like your style.

You like my style with the bourbon or the cigars?

I always buy Illusione and Padron's at my local B&M. I bought a box of MKs for myself for a Christmas present. One of my all time favorite sticks.

• Options
    cprsuperman:

oldsoulrevival:
    cprsuperman:
    I like your style.

You like my style with the bourbon or the cigars?

I always buy Illusione and Padron's at my local B&M. I bought a box of MKs for myself for a Christmas present. One of my all time favorite sticks.

With bourbons. B-trace and Eagle Rare are the two best bourbons for the money, imo. Eagle Rare especially.

Padron 1926 is my all time favorite, and I am actually thinking about smoking my first Illusione tonight. I have heard so many good things about them.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Glenmorangie Lasanta with an Armada is a nice pairing. I also like Diesel UHC with Ardbeg Correyvrecken. I'm a big single malt fan and tend to lean toward the Islay malts (heavily peated and smokey) and I tend to like fuller bodied smokes.
  • Options
    cprsuperman:
    The Eagle Rare is a fine sippin whiskey, that's for sure. You really owe it to yourself to pick up a bottle of Woodford Reserve (I think it's smoother than Eagle) or 4 Roses single barrel (a bit lighter than the Eagle, but pairs better with fuller bodied cigars, IMO). Both are in the same price range.

Last year, I actually mixed these three bourbons together in 3 equal parts, and created my "special blended bourbon".
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    I like the Dalwhinnie 15 yr with milder cigars and the Glenlevit 16 yr cask strength with stronger (Cohiba Sublimes, Maduro 5 Genios) type cigars. They both bring out the spice in the sticks. I have found that Scotch pars better with ISOM sticks for some reason, but that's probably just preference on my part.