Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Cross Fit?

Any of you guys do crossfit? I have done P90X a few times, and now just lift at home and train for marathons. I was looking at CF endurance and wondered if anyone has any info. It's about $75 a month to join the local box. I wondered if I should just buy the stuff I need to do the WOD as I go and try it at home.

Comments

• Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Crossfit? Not sure. But I do a type of workout that might be considered crossfit.
    I use a mini-tramp and free weights (home gym) - basically do a set of weights (bench, pull-ups, curls, whatever) and as soon as I'm done (8-12 reps depending on the weight/exercise) - I'm back on the mini-tramp for 60 seconds, high speed run in place, or speed j-jacks.
    Then another set of weights, and immediately back on the mini-tramp for 60 seconds, etc.
    The whole workout takes 30 minutes - I get in about 20 to 24 sets of weight work, and 4 sets of 50 crunches.

Works for me, but I'm an old guy now, the days of 2 hour workouts are LONG gone - I'm over that - no time, no energy - would rather chill and smoke a stick!
    But, this is a tough workout believe it or not - you just can't lift heavy (no recovery time in between sets, and your cardio is pumping pretty good) - but I'm over heavy lifting too!!

• Options
    sdloco30sdloco30 Posts: 32
    Yes, I have been into it for a couple years now. It is great! I would say join the local box for the start and get the hang of it. The WOD is tough for beginners and I would recommend starting at a gym where you can be worked up to the intensity. If you just try the WOD at home, I think you may try and cheat yourself. If you think you can stick to it without the pros pushing you, then go ahead and do the WOD at home, but as long as you do it you will be in better shape than you could ever get from curls at a gym...
  • Options
    JonathanEJonathanE Posts: 401
    Crossfit sucks. I know this because every time I do it, I end up hurting like he11! But, I would recommend doing it at a gym if you can. There's nothing like the focus of someplace where there's nothing to do but workout and the social motivation of the trainers. Works better than doing it at home, IMO.

JDE

• Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    I have done Insanity many times. 5-7 hours of Tae Kwon Do a week. The Insanity stuff is crazy dumb. Even the people behind him are wondering when the crazy idiot is going to stop.
  • Options
    dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    Try Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu instead...great workout, good friends, and you learn some VERY useful skills. What's not to like about getting in shape and knowing how to kick someone's a** if you have to?
  • Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    I have done that as well. Being a former high school wrestler it was right up my alley.
  • Options
    rossdavey2rossdavey2 Posts: 979
    dowjr1:
    Try Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu instead...great workout, good friends, and you learn some VERY useful skills. What's not to like about getting in shape and knowing how to kick someone's a** if you have to?
    I have done Jiu Jitsu, Escrima (SP) and Teng Sudo before. I am looking for more an endurace thing now. I run Marathons and mud races now. Maybe a Tri next year. I have seen some good results for the CF endurance folk.