Home General Discussion
Options

birth

My wife and I are expecting our first child in october, being a cigar lover I really want to hand out cigars, but I have no cigar smoking friends. Should I do it anyway and hope to convert some?

Comments

• Options
    grannejagranneja Posts: 382
    Congrats on expecting. As to the cigars, I would get lower priced sticks for handouts. Inexperienced smokers may not appreciate a more expensive cigars. JMO
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    I would not bother handing out cigars to friends who do not smoke, instead I would buy myself something extra special to celebrate!
  • Options
    cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    I will pm you my add. in late September so you don't miss place it. LOL Congrates bro! best thing in the world is your own DNA running around :) Most of the time anyway.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Having been into this hobby for a little while now, I have gotten to know some cigar smokers who have had babies, and the general consensus seems to be that realistically, you probably won't have time to sit back with a good cigar for a few days likely, after the birth. As for handing out cigars when the kid is born, go with something recognizable, but inexpensive. Some folks will take one, light it and smoke an inch. Others will appreciate it. Fuente makes petite coronas with mixed filler (Brevas Royale) that say "It's a Boy" or "It's a Girl" on the cello, which are inexpensive, and would be a good choice for non-smokers who want a cigar to celebrate.

As for something special for you to smoke, there are a few guys I know, and a few on this forum, who have bought a box of high end cigars that will age well, and stand the test of time, and smoke one every year on the child's birthday. Some that I would recommend: Padron Family Reserve, Davidoff Millennium, Opus X, My Father (for obvious reasons... for instance, I bought my dad a box of My Fathers last year on his birthday, and he is aging them, smoking one on my birthday, and one on my brother's birthday every year), or if you go Cuban, then Cohiba Esplendidos, Cohiba Robustos, Hoyo De Monterrey Hoyo Des Dieux (these take a few years to really come into their own, but they have the legs to get better and better over a decade at least!), Trinidad Robusto Ts (really great now, but complex, and big enough to hold up for a long time), or Partagas Lusitanias. There are a ton of others that would be great. Really, any cigar you love, that has enough body to age for a decade or two without losing everything, well, that's what I'd recommend.

Of course, a single of any of the above would be my recommendation if you only want a single to celebrate.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    Having been into this hobby for a little while now, I have gotten to know some cigar smokers who have had babies, and the general consensus seems to be that realistically, you probably won't have time to sit back with a good cigar for a few days likely, after the birth. As for handing out cigars when the kid is born, go with something recognizable, but inexpensive. Some folks will take one, light it and smoke an inch. Others will appreciate it. Fuente makes petite coronas with mixed filler (Brevas Royale) that say "It's a Boy" or "It's a Girl" on the cello, which are inexpensive, and would be a good choice for non-smokers who want a cigar to celebrate.

As for something special for you to smoke, there are a few guys I know, and a few on this forum, who have bought a box of high end cigars that will age well, and stand the test of time, and smoke one every year on the child's birthday. Some that I would recommend: Padron Family Reserve, Davidoff Millennium, Opus X, My Father (for obvious reasons... for instance, I bought my dad a box of My Fathers last year on his birthday, and he is aging them, smoking one on my birthday, and one on my brother's birthday every year), or if you go Cuban, then Cohiba Esplendidos, Cohiba Robustos, Hoyo De Monterrey Hoyo Des Dieux (these take a few years to really come into their own, but they have the legs to get better and better over a decade at least!), Trinidad Robusto Ts (really great now, but complex, and big enough to hold up for a long time), or Partagas Lusitanias. There are a ton of others that would be great. Really, any cigar you love, that has enough body to age for a decade or two without losing everything, well, that's what I'd recommend.

Of course, a single of any of the above would be my recommendation if you only want a single to celebrate.
    Excellent suggestions all around.
  • Options
    If your plan is to try to turn people into cigar smokers from non smokers then I would recommend the following: Having just recently turned into enjoying cigars vs. thinking how much longer do I have to smoke this thing? You guys might crucify me for recommending this but the cigar that truly turned me into enjoying smoke was the ACID Kuba Kuba. My palate has changed from the infused stuff now but if the idea is to pass out a cigar that people might enjoy and become cigar smokers, I would recommend that one, or if you want to go lighter but still have a little bite, the Acid Atom Maduro it is like the Kuba Kuba light.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Congratulations. 5 Vegas golds might be a good handout for those that want them.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Arturo Fuente makes Boy or Girl cigars... They ain't the best... They ain't the worst... But a good name brand, but from what I've heard they are priced decently as well so it'd be a good choice all around
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ongrats brother . Nothing quite like having a new baby. There's no feeling in the world better than the one you get holding that tiny little person in your arms.
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Congrats man, it was almost 2 months after the birth of our first before I had a celebration smoke. I'm all for getting something special and giving it a rest.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    Congrats man. As most know I've got my first due anytime now. I hope to buy a nice box and do as Doc mentioned. I also hope to have a nice smoke after he's born but I'm sure it will be hectic.
  • Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Congrats. Hey listen to Roland on this one, I know cause my wife & I just had our first son 10 months ago. For the first 4 months, I think I smoked 2 cigars total! No joke, its just that busy and you have one thing on your mind and thats the safety of your son/daughter.

But yeah for later, get yourself a great cigar to celebrate by yourself in a few months or days whenever you have the free time. I know its depressing to think with the baby coming you will have no more smoking time, but trust me its worth every minute of stress/loss of free time. My son is almost 10 months old now, and I'm just starting to get the time for 1 or 2 cigars per week. But guess what, you'll have some more well rested smokes after the 1st year of your childs life. My buying sprees didn't change much just my free time to enjoy them. Good luck with the baby!
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    bobd:
    My wife and I are expecting our first child in october, being a cigar lover I really want to hand out cigars, but I have no cigar smoking friends. Should I do it anyway and hope to convert some?
    Go out and get yourself something great. Then buy those Fuente It's a **** to hand out. Congrats!
  • Options
    JonathanEJonathanE Posts: 401
    Congrats! Your life will never be the same again... in a good way. {:-)

I recommend that you smoke a Gurkha Beast if it's a boy and a Gurkha Beauty if it's a girl. As for the rest of your friends, plan something (BBQ) that you will all be outside for anyway and bring a box of something for the gang. You smoke yours and invite anyone who wants to, to light up something from the box.

JDE

• Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    JonathanE:

I recommend that you smoke a Gurkha Beast if it's a boy and a Gurkha Beauty if it's a girl. As for the rest of your friends, plan something (BBQ) that you will all be outside for anyway and bring a box of something for the gang. You smoke yours and invite anyone who wants to, to light up something from the box.

JDE

I don't think he wanted to punish himself for having a child. Just sayin...
  • Options
    Flash318Flash318 Posts: 49
    I am new to Cigars. Having said that outright,I am trying just about everything. I find that I like Maduros. The Acid Kuba Kuba is one that I really enjoy!
  • Options
    whatever your favorite cigar is just get that bad boy and light it up congrats!
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Diamondog:
    I would not bother handing out cigars to friends who do not smoke, instead I would buy myself something extra special to celebrate!
    Congrats and I totally agree with DD!
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    JonathanE:
    Stitches?