Home Non Cigar Related
Options

pit bulls...good or bad....here s a story...

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2011/08/12/pregnant-norcal-woman-killed-in-dog-mauling-at-her-home/ dont get me wrong, they can be raised to be great dogs, but i think overall they have just too many genes in their body that is bad and probably always will be bad dogs.....

Comments

• Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Some dogs just REQUIRE you to train them. If you do not they have no structure and become destructive. Just like people. There are some that need constant supervision and direction or they will have issues.

I feel bad for the people that get attacked. It is not their fault and 90% of the time not the dogs fault.
  • Options
    Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    i have known people to train them and they were great dogs...but still at end of day they ended up attacking someone or something out of the blue.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2011/08/12/pregnant-norcal-woman-killed-in-dog-mauling-at-her-home/ dont get me wrong, they can be raised to be great dogs, but i think overall they have just too many genes in their body that is bad and probably always will be bad dogs.....
    That is B.S. It's all about the owner. The animal can't be blamed for the owner's stupidity.

A huge part of the reason we only hear about Pits doing things like this is the social stigma ingrained already. The reason that pits the largely responsible for things like this is that pits are a preferred breed for people who have no business raising a pet, scumbags who mistreat their animals, who get a pit because of the image they have, or because they are great dogs for... well, fighting.
  • Options
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    i have known people to train them and they were great dogs...but still at end of day they ended up attacking someone or something out of the blue.
    I got a dog from adopt a pet 9 years ago. Chocolate Lab. He knew absolutely zero commands. Weighed 85 pounds. Strong as a mule. Before I adopted him I checked how he reacted to being stepped on, ear pulled, touched while eating etc. There are certain ways you can try to evaluate the dog before something bad happens. I spent 2 years training that dog. Still have him and he is phenomenal. He knows exactly what he needs to do and when, without commands. He thinks about what he does and you can tell he understands me as much as I understand him. They take time and effort and a smart trainer.
    Dogs are pets, not people. They are treated differently but can become your best friend.
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    This coming from somebody who is contributing to the MASSIVE dog overpopulation! and is going to profit from this instead of being a responsible pet owner and getting their animals spayed or nuetered. GTFO of here with this bs! Shorty Rossi has one that is his service dog. Pit's have been tagged as one of the top dogs for returning war vets suffering from massive amounts of ptsd because they are such great dogs but require work to train them. Let's remember this thread:http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/293768.aspx

Joey you saying that it's in their genes is total and complete crap! You sound like an ingorant racist who has no clue what he's talking about. Next time before you post something like this do some research. ANY dog can kill people breed doesn't mean a thing. I thought you said you were leaving here anyways. The door is the sign out button top right corner of your screen..........
  • Options
    ENFIDL:
    This coming from somebody who is contributing to the MASSIVE dog overpopulation! and is going to profit from this instead of being a responsible pet owner and getting their animals spayed or nuetered. GTFO of here with this bs! Shorty Rossi has one that is his service dog. Pit's have been tagged as one of the top dogs for returning war vets suffering from massive amounts of ptsd because they are such great dogs but require work to train them. Let's remember this thread:http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/293768.aspx

Joey you saying that it's in their genes is total and complete crap! You sound like an ingorant racist who has no clue what he's talking about. Next time before you post something like this do some research. ANY dog can kill people breed doesn't mean a thing. I thought you said you were leaving here anyways. The door is the sign out button top right corner of your screen..........
    Whats ur issue bro? Now im no longer allowed to have a opinion....and I said MAYBE its in their Genes....not a exact guess but its just a opinion just like you stating ANY dog can kill people....should I call you a ignorant racist against all dogs???? dude...I made a estimated guess and seeing what people think about it....I just threw a story out there....I never once said I believe all pits are killers cuz of their genes...but i did make a comment "maybe" something in their genes brings out the more aggressive side....jesus dude, take a chill pill once in a while.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thing about pits as I understand it is they were bred to be protectors of children. A k-nine baby sitter. They are extremely tolerant dogs especially around kids. Extremely protective. But they require an owner who gives them love and lots of exercise to use up that energy. They get a bad rap any dog can turn on you. We once had a lab that was extremely lovable but one day it turned on my wife out of the blue, bit her in the face after that she was always afraid of it and you cannot have any dog if it knows your scared of it.
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    +1.....people try to defend people that kill too, this is no different.....the exception being that a higher percent of these dogs are involved in terrible attacks than most other breeds of dog. Dont really care...certainly dont want one, and if someone does thats fine with me----just keep it away. And dont get too suprised if it snaps one day.
  • Options
    I actually enjoy pits...they can be the sweetest dog ever but it just sucks to see the majority of them have attacked people.
  • Options
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    I actually enjoy pits...they can be the sweetest dog ever but it just sucks to see the majority of them have attacked people.
    A majority of pitbulls have not attacked people. That infers that over 50% of pitbulls have attacked people. Don't spread wild incorrect assumptions if you enjoy the dog. They get a lot of bad press and do seem to be involved with every other attack you read about.

Just like sharks. How many deadly shark attacks are there a year in the US? Not that many but everybody is scared as hell of them. Millions of people go in the water every year near sharks. Less than 10 get attacked.

Millions of people walk by pitbulls every year. How many get attacked?
  • Options
    Marker:
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    A majority of pitbulls have not attacked people. That infers that over 50% of pitbulls have attacked people. Don't spread wild incorrect assumptions if you enjoy the dog. They get a lot of bad press and do seem to be involved with every other attack you read about.

Just like sharks. How many deadly shark attacks are there a year in the US? Not that many but everybody is scared as hell of them. Millions of people go in the water every year near sharks. Less than 10 get attacked.

Millions of people walk by pitbulls every year. How many get attacked?
    k maybe "majority" was the wrong word to use..but a lot do attack.
  • Options
    If 'a lot' is 2% I would be surprised. Not trying to bust your chops but if you love the dog do a little reading and give us some statistics that make us feel better about it. Not Debbie Downer the dog.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Vulchor:
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    +1.....people try to defend people that kill too, this is no different.....the exception being that a higher percent of these dogs are involved in terrible attacks than most other breeds of dog. Dont really care...certainly dont want one, and if someone does thats fine with me----just keep it away. And dont get too suprised if it snaps one day.
    This can happen with any breed. And does.
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Ageed DOC....The difference being a Pit can do a lot more damage to most people than a Chiuwahwah (sp?) or a yorkie.
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for bringing up some bad memmories for me fellas, lol not ur fault.

When I was 3 we were over at a family friends' house and we had been over there several times. when we went to leave, I hugged their dog goodbye and it actually bit my left ear off, it was hanging by a tendon. I remember my mom throwing the dog off the porch, going to the hospital with 2 towels pressed against my head, and the nurses, to this day whom I dislike, cutting off my favorite shirt that was covered in blood. a plastic surgeon and 102 stitches later, I still have my ear.

This dog was not a pit, and I had been around it several times, I don't think that any animal can be fully trusted, and I have 2 great dogs, moral, an animal is still an animal.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    Marker:
    If 'a lot' is 2% I would be surprised. Not trying to bust your chops but if you love the dog do a little reading and give us some statistics that make us feel better about it. Not Debbie Downer the dog.
    I dont love the dog...I can like and enjoy them but I like and enjoy just about every breed of dog...except poodles...theyre just stupid in my opinion lol jkjk
  • Options
    Flash318Flash318 Posts: 49
    First post/reply Pets/dogs require training. I have had my mixed pit for 12 years now. Very loveing loyal dog. Still needs rules boundries and limitations everyday. I admitt this was my first adult owned dog and I did'nt have the proper knowlege/experience with training at first. I am not as strict as I should be but I do have rules. In my opinion owners should take responceability. It is sad when people get attecked. Each case has different varables, but still my opinion, owners are responceable.
  • Options
    roland_7707:
    ... moral, an animal is still an animal.
    I hear that. Ive been attacked when I was kid by a ton of different breeds...pits, chows, chihauha, labs....and yet i still enjoy dogs and love my husky and shepard to death! lol I wasnt trying to offend anyone by this thread btw....sorry if i did
  • Options
    Flash318Flash318 Posts: 49
    With your experience, being a dog owner, very well put. an animal is still an animal
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    No offence taken or felt.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    roland_7707:
    I hear that. Ive been attacked when I was kid by a ton of different breeds...pits, chows, chihauha, labs....and yet i still enjoy dogs and love my husky and shepard to death! lol I wasnt trying to offend anyone by this thread btw....sorry if i did
    Gotta stop wearing the milkbone underwear. Holy crap. How does one person get attacked by that many dogs?
  • Options
    Marker:
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    roland_7707:
    Gotta stop wearing the milkbone underwear. Holy crap. How does one person get attacked by that many dogs?
    lolol...but its so comfy! lol.jk. Not a clue either...I asked my dad if i ever pulled their hair, kicked, or hit a dog, he says not once..I always loved animals. Once the lab was his gfs dog...i was just swimming in the pool and using my floatys(yes i was that young), and dog lept in after me....the chow I was at my friends house cutting down bamboo and it was 15 feet away glaring at me making me scared..and soon as I went to walk out of the yard it attacked me and chewed up my left ass cheeck....chihauha I guess was a baby...dont know much except maybe it was afraid I would take more attention? lol...and the pit was my bio moms druggy friends dog...must have been high and hungry cuz I was kicking the soccer ball in the yard when it ran up, took a chunk outa my right thigh, and ran away....fukin weird. Why am I not more scared of dogs now??? I just realized that lol. I still love all animals though...except spiders...*** that, squash em. lol
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Gotta agree with Doc and the majority here that they're not inherently "bad" dogs. This just sounds like another story of an idiot who raised a dog that's stereotyped into their stereotype. Too many morons out there getting pits because they're "tough" dogs and think they're gonna raise some vicious animal for protection that's ultimately going to be unconditionally loyal to them and their families. Doesn't work like that.

I'm sorry to sound heartless but I have a hard time feeling bad in cases like this. It's trashy people, raising their dogs to be trashy and they're only going to do the same with their kids when they populate. These are the cases that I feel bad for the dog. In the right environment, that dog may have made a wonderful pet and never snapped at anyone. Problem is that people don't need a license or a lesson to raise a dog or a child.

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Pitbulls - totally vicious and heartless machines, but no match for a fearless/crazed kitten; video proof below (turn sound up for defining proof):

http://www.castanet.net/news/Offbeat/62184/Pitbull-vs-kitten

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    xmacro:
    Pitbulls - totally vicious and heartless machines, but no match for a fearless/crazed kitten; video proof below (turn sound up for defining proof):

http://www.castanet.net/news/Offbeat/62184/Pitbull-vs-kitten

Yeah, ok sure...but I bet that Pit went out a killed a baby later on. Obviously the kitten wasn't worth killing.[/sarcasm]
  • Options
    It was a joke Sad [:(] Like posting a picture of a puppy baring its fangs while playing tug-o-war or tearing up a stuffed animal and putting a caption below "Vicious killer"
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    ENFIDL:

Whats ur issue bro? Now im no longer allowed to have a opinion....and I said MAYBE its in their Genes....not a exact guess but its just a opinion just like you stating ANY dog can kill people....should I call you a ignorant racist against all dogs???? dude...I made a estimated guess and seeing what people think about it....I just threw a story out there....I never once said I believe all pits are killers cuz of their genes...but i did make a comment "maybe" something in their genes brings out the more aggressive side....jesus dude, take a chill pill once in a while.
    my issue is you and your bs Joey. No I'm not being an ignorant racist I'm stating a simple fact unlike you saying it could be in pit bulls genes to attack and kill. all dogs have the capability to kill that's nature. Take a chill pill...really? You just came on here talking **** about a member of my family because that's what my dog is. And while you didn't name him he's a pit and you attacked them. Especially when it's from someone here who is an unresponsible pet owner and is contributing to the massive dog overpopulation that causes hundreds of dogs to be put to sleep daily. Plus all the drama you bring here is unneccessary and you've said how many times you're leaving..........
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    xmacro:
    It was a joke Sad [:(] Like posting a picture of a puppy baring its fangs while playing tug-o-war or tearing up a stuffed animal and putting a caption below "Vicious killer"
    So I guess putting an "end sarcasm" tag still isn't enough? I don't know why I even try...
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    xmacro:
    So I guess putting an "end sarcasm" tag still isn't enough? I don't know why I even try...
    Thought it was sarcasm directed at/againstt the link instead of with it; you should've put a /to /and /post :p

Sorry about that; just got home from a long-ass week at my new job; brain isn't working too well right now, so I'm not picking up on much :P

• Options
    Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Ok, so I just did some research in pits and total fatalities. Check out this website I think you all will find it very informative and will help formulate opinions a bit more accurately. The stats aren't drastic enough for me to change my love for pits.

http://blog.dogsbite.org/2011/01/2010-us-dog-bite-fatality-statistics.html