Home General Discussion
Options

Just starting out...

Don't know why it took me so long to discover how amazing and life changing a cigar could be.  It took one magical summer night and one Oliva V torpedo to change my perception on smoking cigars.  Two weeks later my savings account has taken a few hits in order to satisfy my new found hobby and now I find myself up late at night plotting my next purchases.

I wanted to ask some forumn members for some good suggestions for a newbie based on what I've tried and liked. Sad to say that so far it's only been a handful but I thoroughly enjoyed the oliva v for it's complexity and "chewiness". I also had a great Sunday morning coffee and stogie session which may change my Sunday rituals for life with a padron 1964, it really complimented my coffee with a creamy sort of mild aftertaste.  Feeding off that coffee inspiration I tried a tabak especial red eye and enjoyed it at first but had to but it down as it was a little too sweet for me on the second half. Next I had a montecristo 75th anniversary and wasn't all that impressed, felt a little ho hum about the taste.

I trust everyone's judgement on here and welcome any and all suggestions.  Some that are on my wish list are  Mow ruination, Padilla 68, 601 blue, And 5 Vegas classic to name a few.

Here's a picture of my current growing stash awaiting a 100 count humidor, Let me know what you guys think! -Greg

Comments

• Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    For a beginner that is a kick-ass stash!! Oliva's, Padron Anny's, Rocky Vintage etc!!! Get that Acid out of your HUMI for it will taint the others, other than that.... SMOKE ON!
  • Options
    JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    Agreed looks like a great start out stash but take the Acid and put it somewhere else or smoke it right away lol. It will taint the others. But the other DE is just fine. Java was one of my starters and damn it was a good starter.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • Options
    JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    Looks great!
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    The cigar that really got me hooked was Makers Mark. Good cigar, haven't had one in a few years though. You have already started smoking some of my favorite sticks out there. Padron 1964 maduro? That's a great stick and so is the Oliva V. One suggestion would be is if you like the V, try the Oliva Master Blend 3. I'm sure that stick will not disappoint you. I had a buddy of mine try it, then he went out the next day and bought a box.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Won't be long now you'll be hearing the wife saying What do you need more cigars for ? You haven't smoked the ones you got. I haven't tried any Olivias yet so I don't really know what they are like. But if you like Rocky's the vintage 1990 is a real nice stick.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    For a beginner, that is a great stash. Your first cigar was a V? I am impressed! I forget what my first was. Probably a garcia y vega, black and mild, etc... It took a few months to find what I liked. To be honest, I don't remember all that much since I started smoking around end of 1995 or sometime in 1996. I agree with the other posts about getting the flavored stuff out of your regular humi and keep them separated. That includes the Java
  • Options
    cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    Welcome.....I pay more in Cigar support then I do in child support..... what a country!!!!
  • Options
    amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    Welcome, nice wishlist, all those sticks are pretty good.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Nice starter pack - those Diesel cigars are really good (if you like the shorty, be sure to try the Unholy Cocktail and Unlimited). If maduro's are your thing, try a Joyo De Nicaragua Dark Corojo Antano - very nice smoke IMO
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very nice!
  • Options
    welcome to the world of tomorrow!
  • Options
    grannejagranneja Posts: 382
    Nice stash and welcome to the forum.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome. The best advice you will get is - until you figure out what you like buy samplers and try everything. You will figure it out. That way you aren't committed to boxes of cigars you don't want. If you don't like a cigar in a sample you have some ammo to trade or bomb with.

Oh, and you might as well buy a 300 count humidor or make a coolidor. Trust me (I have 5 humidors) you will run out of room quickly and always wish you bought the bigger one.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    get that ACID as far away from that Padron as you can.
    here is a list of places you can put the ACID (or any infused cigar) instead of in the same humidor as non-infused high end cigars:
    1) a different humidor
    2) a tupperware
    3) a Zip-loc baggie
    4) the trash
    5) smoke it now so its out of there
    6) ANYWHERE not in that humidor.

Infused cigars will make every other cigar in your humidor taste different. it WILL taint the humidor. there is actually a chance that your current humidor will only ever be able to be used for infused cigars in the future.
    it may be too late.
  • Options
    Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    jsnake:
    Oh, and you might as well buy a 300 count humidor or make a coolidor. Trust me (I have 5 humidors) you will run out of room quickly and always wish you bought the bigger one.

Great advice from Jsnake. I had to make a coolidor after my first 3 months. My three little humis just couldn't hold another stick. Welcome to the forums!

Rob
  • Options
    Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr. Napalm, if you are interested, PM me your name and address, and I will send you a little Slob Sampler of premium cigars for you to try. Maybe this will help you on your quest. And welcome to the forum!
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poker Slob:
    Mr. Napalm, if you are interested, PM me your name and address, and I will send you a little Slob Sampler of premium cigars for you to try. Maybe this will help you on your quest. And welcome to the forum!
    What a nice gesture.