Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Barbering

...in my area it seems like a dying profession. I went to a salon to get my haricut and was told a straight razor was illegal for a hair stylist to use and only barbers are legally allowed to use one. I was totally bummed. I am really considering going to barber school or trying to apprentice somewhere. I remember my father would take us to the barber on a Saturday morning and we'd all get our haircut and listen to the conversations the older men would have. I miss those days. I would love to reccreate that for more people and carry on the tradition that seems to be going away (in my area anyway). Anyone still go to a barber that still uses a straight razor?

Comments

• Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    I have barbers in my area, but I've never had the guts to see if they'll use a straight razor...

By the way, I'll trade a hop skip and a jump to Sands over having a barber in my town any day, lol
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't gone to a barber for years, except for a once-in-a-while tryout every 8 or 10 years to see if they've wised-up any. Seems they never do, though. I go to a hairdresser because they can do a scissor-cut or a razor-cut with ease. With barbers in this area, if they can't do it with the clippers they don't want to do it. And, regardless of what you tell them, they'll invariably white-wall you above the ears. I don't have a lot of use for a barber.
  • Options
    amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    That's funny you should bring this up. Just yesterday I was talking to a friend about this. He was telling me about this place that opened up a couple years ago but I'm just now hearing about it. I haven't been there yet but it looks like they have a waiting area with a pool table, poker table, Tv's and you're allowed to bring in your own liquor and leave it there for the next time plus you were allowed to smoke cigars in there. I'm not sure if you can anymore with the new laws. Check it out.

Quinntessential Gentleman

Quinntessential Gentleman Video
  • Options
    SchroozSchrooz Posts: 165
    Sounds like a great idea. How about a barber/cigar shop combo? People can wait for a seat by lighting up in the lounge.
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I remember on Pawn Stars when they bought an old barber chair they said back in the day that people would smoke stogies while getting a cut and a shave. My thought was I'm living in the wrong era.....lol
  • Options
    amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    ENFIDL:
    My thought was I'm living in the wrong era.....lol
    I feel the same way sometimes. There was a time when a man could be a man, before everyone got so sensitive. I was watching some old footbal footage the other day and there where guys in the stands puffin on stogies holding up signs the said "Kill Bubba Kill" (RIP Bubba) those were the days.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ScottC:
    Anyone still go to a barber that still uses a straight razor?
    you may want to check out Badger and Blade

• Options
    jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    We got Barbers here on the West Coast. Especially around the bases. I get a high military fade and straight razor shaved on the sides. If you get closer to a military base, you might be able to find one.