Home General Discussion

Winter time smoking

RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
So I'm wondering what most of you guys do in the winter. I just started on cigars at the end of winter so I didn't have to deal with it much. I'm planning on putting up some plastic sheeting around my back porch and putting a space heater out there. I'll have to leave the Top open for the smoke to escape but I reckon this should work ok.

Comments

• fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I can't even dream of winter yet. The heat has been kicking our butt this summer
  • i usually just goto my local b&m i cant i crack the garage some and turn on a heater
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i go to the B&M more... and i go to the attic sometimes. just isnt the same up there. id rather talk to people.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    i either go to my garage and sit in front of a space heater...rather pathetic i know...sometimes I do go to my cigar bar though.

"Long ashes my friends."

• ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I stock up on coronas, petite coronas, etc and smoke in my garage with the garage door cracked open. Usually while grilling or I'll hit up a cigar friendly bar down the street from my house
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    When I lived in MS, I just smoked in the garage with a space heater, since there wasn't any lounge nearby. Now that I'm in Canada with no lounges and no garage (just an open parking lot with designated numbers), I'll be stocking up on petite coronas or maybe start using a pipe.
  • amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    The wife let me turn a room in our basement into a mancave / smoking room. There are two windows in the room. I have a small bionaire twin window fan in one for exhaust and I have an everfresh air exchanger in the other window which brings in fresh air and slightly warms the air as it comes in. I completely sealed the room off from the rest of the house so in the winter it stll gets a little cold so I have a ceramic heater in there that I use. In the summer I switch out the air exchanger for a window A/C unit. I also have in there for air filtration an Austin Air HM400. Once I'm done I empty the ashtray and you can hardly tell anyone smoked in there.
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    I joined the polar bear cigar club. Nothing beats freezing all by yourself on your porch. Puts hair on your chest.
  • JudoChinX:
    I joined the polar bear cigar club. Nothing beats freezing all by yourself on your porch. Puts hair on your chest.
    Lol that's a good one
  • amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    JudoChinX:
    I did that before the mancave. Trust me it's overrated.
  • JudoChinX:
    Lol that's a good one
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    amz1301:
    JudoChinX:
    I did that before the mancave. Trust me it's overrated.
    Haha. Ya, I know. I'll keep lying to myself until I have a good alternative. Everyone remember, the club is open, so you too can be cool like me. Bleh, I'm not being very convincing am I?
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    I'm with ENFIDL, I stock up on petitte coronas as well as some tins of minis / demi tasse etc. Our new house (which we just moved into a couple of weeks ago) has a screened porch, but two of the walls are enclosed and brick. I bought one of those radiant heaters that goes on top of a propane cylinder at the end of last winter for a steal. So I haven't tried it yet, but hopefully it will be a decent winter smoking area that will retain a little heat.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Heavy:
    I'm with ENFIDL, I stock up on petitte coronas as well as some tins of minis / demi tasse etc. Our new house (which we just moved into a couple of weeks ago) has a screened porch, but two of the walls are enclosed and brick. I bought one of those radiant heaters that goes on top of a propane cylinder at the end of last winter for a steal. So I haven't tried it yet, but hopefully it will be a decent winter smoking area that will retain a little heat.
    Those heaters work great, nice way to take the edge off .. Pm to you Heavy
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    Smoking in the winter . . . I know a lot of people just plain old smoke less during that time. I'm in Nornthern Cal so our winters are really moderate, compared to most (no snow ever) but it is windy and rainy and a bit cold out for months. So since I'm an outside only smoker, especially since we had our little one, I end up smoking only when the weather permits and I have the time, which is a little less often during those months.

Good ideas from everyone so far though, I'll have to think about maybe a space heater out on our front porch because thats the only covered one to keep out of the rain.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    i either go to my garage and sit in front of a space heater...rather pathetic i know...sometimes I do go to my cigar bar though.
    Ditto but I don't go to a cigar bar. We just finished a renovation on the house with a 12'X20' addition. Under the addition is basically a basement type room (same size obviously). I put a window in there. going to try to seal it (the ceiling) off (open framing w/insulation) somehow so the smoke will go out. Not up into the house. If any of you construction guys have any thoughts on what to do with the ceiling, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks in advance.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    KCW:
    Krieg:
    Ditto but I don't go to a cigar bar. We just finished a renovation on the house with a 12'X20' addition. Under the addition is basically a basement type room (same size obviously). I put a window in there. going to try to seal it (the ceiling) off (open framing w/insulation) somehow so the smoke will go out. Not up into the house. If any of you construction guys have any thoughts on what to do with the ceiling, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks in advance.
    fan system to blow smoke out and fresh house air in?
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    As noted above, we have mild winters compared to many of you. Still it can get rainy/stormy/windy making outdoor smoking in the open not an option.
    My recently created outdoor smoking lounge won't work either as it is now, and I'm not doing any conversoins on it - it's fine for what it is, outdoor lounge.
    I have the perfect man-cave, our motorhome, complete with power, water, sewer hookup, wireless, cableTV, etc. - parked just 20 feet from the house - but I refuse to smoke in it.
    But, my man-cave did give me a wild-a$$ idea.
    I was thinking of buying an older small trailer (often called "tin cans" or "Birchwood Beauties") and remodeling it into a permanent cigar lounge bar. A smallish one - 12 foot max, 10 even better.
    It wouldn't need water, toilet, shower, sink, or even a fridge for that matter - all that is close at hand in my motorhome or the house.
    I'd remodel it to have some comfortable loungers, a small table, a space heater, maybe a TV, etc.

My other lame idea was to buy a big old American car - think huge 4 door beast - and just park on the property, and use it to smoke in, in winter - small space heater and exhaust fan, crack window a bit, voila, comfortable smoking lounge.

The wife is gonna hate both of these "ideas".........gotta think about how to "sell it" to her.........

• rossdavey2rossdavey2 Posts: 979
    my wife has two heating pads that she doesn't use anymore and a heated chair massager(sp) I put the chair thing down, one pad on my legs and one on my chest under a blanket. Thats only if its really cold. Hat and fingerless gloves.
  • asolomonasolomon Posts: 128
    I'm usually out of luck in the winters. I'm living in the UK where B&Ms are pretty much against the law, and I'm living in college accomodation where smoking is a no-go. There's a hotel in town with an outdoor smoking area that's heated, which is really my only option in the winter!
  • e6specialke6specialk Posts: 216
    I just go to my mancave in my basement. No one else in the family likes to spend much time down there so it doesn't pose much of a problem for me.
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    and i go to the attic sometimes.

That's where I go as well. A small space heater keeps it rather toasty, even with the windows open.